2002 Honda XR200R

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtrider23
Contributor
Contributor

2002 Honda XR200R

Post by dirtrider23 »

I have a 2002 Honda XR200R, I ran it for the first time after I bought it last weekend, it started second kick ran it for about 25 minutes, brought it back let it sit for a while, tryed to start it about fifth kick? it started ran it for about an hour and then crashed it no damage and it wont start, it back fired, we've towed it only backfires and smokes, light comes on it sounds like it wants to start but cant...any ideas?

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 2002 Honda XR200R

Post by Dobi »

check for spark and fuel? that is your first step. A good crash can loosen some wires, break stuff, or accidently turn your gas off.....

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Maybe you flooded it? Was it laying on it's side for a while when you crashed? When starting a four stroke engine, generally you do not want to or need to touch the throttle. If you do end up with a flooded engine, you will need to wait a while, or you can try starting it holding the throttle wide open. I know it sounds wrong, but the engine has too much fuel and needs more air. Holding the throttle open allows it to get the air it needs.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

If it's like my XR650R with stock carb, you need to do the "4-stroke" tricks to get it started after tipped over, or sometimes when it's really hot.

Hold the kill switch, decompression lever (if it has one) and kick with open throttle. Do this 5-10 times. Then, close throttle, find top dead center, go just past TDC, and then do a full, complete kick without any gas. Try this a few times. If it doesn't start repeat.

I've heard of others doing the "race start" which is WOT, and kick vigorously. Never tried it myself yet.

I like my two strokes =)
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

dirtrider23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dirtrider23 »

THANKS guys advice is always appreciated, I'm putting in a new spark plug today the old one was dry when we pulled it out after she fell on her side???, strange thing was she wasn't leaking any fuel while she was down? I thought they usually leak out?
I tried kicking her over with the throttle open but she just back fired and that was it I managed to get 3 guys to help me kick her over yesterday with NO success!
I will try what you said Shibby! she did have a decompression lever but the people that had it before disconnected it for what ever reason and then assured me I didn't need it ????
Everyone out there must have had two- strokes because no one knew your tricks for the four. Thanks again man I'm going to give it a try :nworthy:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

dirtrider23 wrote:THANKS guys advice is always appreciated, I'm putting in a new spark plug today the old one was dry when we pulled it out after she fell on her side???, strange thing was she wasn't leaking any fuel while she was down? I thought they usually leak out?
I tried kicking her over with the throttle open but she just back fired and that was it I managed to get 3 guys to help me kick her over yesterday with NO success!
I will try what you said Shibby! she did have a decompression lever but the people that had it before disconnected it for what ever reason and then assured me I didn't need it ????
Everyone out there must have had two- strokes because no one knew your tricks for the four. Thanks again man I'm going to give it a try :nworthy:
On the 200 it might be because it's easy enough to kick past the compression. I know I can on the 650, but it makes it a lot easier if i get stuck at that point and the kicker won't budge. Just pull the lever and get it in the right spot to kick. WIth a big bore like that a full stroke is key.

If after kicking it a bunch and the plug is still dry you might have something going on. If it's backfiring it's getting some fuel.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

dirtrider23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dirtrider23 »

Hi Shibby
I tried the 4 stroke trick it did sound like it really was going to start with the new plug but no luck, tried towing it again same story, smoking exhaust and just wont fire! Might this be a ignition coil problem? Know of any cheap mechanics?

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

dirtrider23 wrote: Know of any cheap mechanics?
You can have Good or cheap, you choose.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

This thing has sat for a while, right????

The xr200 of that vintage is near and dear to my heart, having cracked the frame on one trying to jump a creek in a highspeed survival move....

Start with the basics that if you like to ride, should be learnededede.

Take the plug out put it into the wire and rest the threads against the engine, gently kick the bike over looking to see if there is a spark. If there is one odds are thecoil etc are ok, if there isn't the first thing to check is if the plug cap is still contacting the wire... Those old ones used to get very loose over time.

If there is a spark start looking elsewhere, is it getting gas? Yes you did have it running so I'm guessing the carb isn't all befouled so I would start with the fuel line from the tank. Pull it off the carb and turn your petcock on. (side note for steve-o, the petcock is a device to manually start and stop the flow of fuel). If fuel rushes out great! Put the hose back on. If I remember corectly there is alot of room to fiddle with the carb on that bike so your next step is to unscrew the big "nut" at the bottom of the carb, as you lossen it fuel should flow so keep your grubby fingers on the aformentioned petcock. If fuel flows out of the bottom of the carb with the petcock on great! If it doesn't let us know.

The next thing to check is airflow through the carb, keep in mind that if there is no air flowing, there will be no fuel entering the cylinder either. Hondas and Honda owners seem to have airbox obstruction issues (see recent posts by axle99 on his last race). Soooo, get acces to the airbox, remove the filter, put your Sunday spectacles on and peer into the rubber "boot" that leads into the carb. Remove leaves, hornets nests, dirty mags left by previous owner and anything that looks like a shop towel. Make sure the old airfilter hasn't started to rot and send little pieces through the inner workings...

These are just some simple things to start with... That bike is virtually bullet and foolproof, and will give you a ton of excellent memories, and is a perfect vehicle to learn some basics on, good luck and keep us updated.

Next
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

dirtrider23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dirtrider23 »

I cleaned the air filter before I took it out sunday, nothing to exciting in there just looked like the previous owners didn't know it exsited and the creature from the black lagoon moved in. I did wash the filter and let it dry. I'm going to take it off again today after work and see if the black lagoon creature is hiding in the rubber "boot", I'll check for fuel flow as well. I had a hard time seeing a spark because my buddy was kicking the bike so hard and the suspension is so soft its like a broken mattress! I did get 3 mild shocks myself though when the plug slipped off the engine while I was holding it. It is a bit low on oil, I just pulled out the stick and smelt it and it smells like gas?????? excuse me for my ignorance but is this normal a dip stick smelling like gas?

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Gas in the oil means that you have flooded it at one time, the gas leaked past the rings into the oil. Change the oil.
Claude

dirtrider23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dirtrider23 »

O.k Cladoo will do thanks for the heads up I didn't know that such a small reason could do that,
still have to figure out why it won't start I will have to check the boot by the air filter to see if any gunk from the filter is stuck in there.