Which power valve spring to run? 250 XC-w

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
KTMpilot
Writer
Writer

Which power valve spring to run? 250 XC-w

Post by KTMpilot »

Has anyone experimented with using the different PV springs on thier 250. I'm running the red one with the mapping wire plugged in. I was reading that a softer spring would improve throttle response during initial roll -on. I'd like to mess around with it on the next ride but wanted to know if anyone has any advise for the best set up. Thanks.
1977 Can-Am Qualifier

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Which power valve spring to run? 250 XC-w

Post by dirtyboy »

I like the yellow spring on the 250 XC. Then again I like the stock pipe too. :D

Little L
User
User

Post by Little L »

I went and picked up a 250 xcw from dave on sat, and of course like a kid in a candy shop I've been playing with everything I could. I haven't got a good ride in the hills on it but just playing around at the farm the spring completely change the bike. The green spring is a fitting color because it makes the bike feel like a KDX 220 very smooth power. When I change out to a red spring in felt like I was back on a motocross bike all sort's of jammy power. If I was you pilot when running trails like we did on the long weekend run the green it gives the bike very tractable power awesome if you need to start out on a hill. If you are running open Porky's stuff run the red and ride like a wild man. Also I hooked up my dual ignition mapping (You don't need a fancy KTM one any swtich will work I hooked it into my light swtich since I don't have a light) and I can see myself flipping the bike over backwards because the swtich makes the difference of the front end coming up easy in second and tougher in third (with the contact points brokes swtich off) to the front end coming up easy in third and tougher in fourth but play around with it and see what you like I will probably run the yellow or red but I like rammy power it's just a little harder on clutches

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I have been on the 250 for 3 years. I started out using the green spring (it was winter) and that was sweet. Very tractable in the snow. I like the yellow best now in the summer.

LittleL, it is very tunable isn't it. I think the choice is very personal. If you want the rammy power it will be more fun with red. You must have your jetting good as the CDI switch doesn't make much difference if the bike is richly jetted, IMO. Congrats on the new bike!

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

dirtyboy wrote:I have been on the 250 for 3 years. I started out using the green spring (it was winter) and that was sweet. Very tractable in the snow. I like the yellow best now in the summer.

LittleL, it is very tunable isn't it. I think the choice is very personal. If you want the rammy power it will be more fun with red. You must have your jetting good as the CDI switch doesn't make much difference if the bike is richly jetted, IMO. Congrats on the new bike!
Here you go piot - LEAN that thing out!!!! I noticed your switch doesn't make the big difference on your's. Maybe you should throw the yellow in for kicks too.

Hey DB, what's your experience with the green and yellow on the 300??? I've had the red in for a while now and it is wappy and hits hard, but I think in a good way. Is the power actually the same just different delivery with the green/yellow???

:cheers:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

steve-o wrote:Hey DB, what's your experience with the green and yellow on the 300??? I've had the red in for a while now and it is wappy and hits hard, but I think in a good way. Is the power actually the same just different delivery with the green/yellow???
My experience with the 300 is: :hyper: :eek: :jawdrop: :eek: :crazy: :blush: <give back 300 to whom I borrowed it>

I'm always surprised with pilots that ride a 300 with the red spring in it. I know if I had a 300 it would have the green spring in it. That way I would be able to ride it in a more reasonable gear with the revs a little higher without flipping the bike out from underneath me. I would also be closer to the power (revs higher) when I needed it. The 300 is much smoother with the yellow spring than the red spring, IMO. I haven't tried one with the green spring but I think it would be closer to my style. You get the same overall maximum power with all springs but it is how you get there that the spring controls.

Little L
User
User

Post by Little L »

I have plans of doing the sx head mod and maybe send the cylinder away to get it ported and polished ( I'll have to talk to moto ed again the work they did on his was awesome) but you can go ahead and get as much power out of them as possible and than detune to get what ever you want I should have went to this bike along time ago I know that I can't wait to ride.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Little L wrote:I have plans of doing the sx head mod and maybe send the cylinder away to get it ported and polished ( I'll have to talk to moto ed again the work they did on his was awesome) but you can go ahead and get as much power out of them as possible and than detune to get what ever you want I should have went to this bike along time ago I know that I can't wait to ride.
You sound stoked! Congrats on the bilke little L. Might see you at Graves later this week.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

I had the red spring in my 06 300, but run the yellow in my 08, about 1.5 turns in from flush. Did not like the red in my 08, the transition was too abrupt

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

once you get your jetting dialed in, the pv spring is the easiest way to 'tune' the KTM 2strokes to your riding style and riding conditions. you can also adjust the pre-load on each spring to fine tune....a half turn either way makes a big difference.

I had the RED spring in my 06 300 and it was rank....way too much for this kid, and in anything greasy....fogettaboutit for keeping the rear wheel anywhere close to where you want it. I have zero interest in trying the RED in my 07, might try the green

Best thing to do is test, takes all of about 3 min to change.....be sure it ALL goes back together as it came out....dont forget the small end peice thats shaped like a U at the end of the long outside spring. Very easy for that to get dumped in your gear box.... stuck in the shifter or take a beating in around the primary gear :smirk: Thanks again to Craxy2wheeler for the long magnet thing that i fished it out with :blush:

KTMpilot
Writer
Writer

Post by KTMpilot »

Well, I stuck the yellow spring in the power valve and it really improves the low end response. It feels more like a 300 with that "can't stall" low end. I also wired a switch for the ignition mapping so I don't have to take the tank off to change it everytime but the spade connectors would'nt stay on the switch so I ran it open loop for the first time. I think it really tamed the power so that it's good on hills and single track. Rode the old race course last night and am very happy with the bike. It's like a 300 "lite".
Congrats on the new bike Little L. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Let me know how your head mod goes and how much it costs.
1977 Can-Am Qualifier

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

You need to buy the Sunny/Rainy switch for a GG Enduro bike from your local GG parts dealer. I think it will plug right in unlike the switch from the GG Trials bike. Do a search in this forum and I think you will find the price is quite good. :thumbsup:

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

dirtyboy wrote:You need to buy the Sunny/Rainy switch for a GG Enduro bike from your local GG parts dealer. I think it will plug right in unlike the switch from the GG Trials bike. Do a search in this forum and I think you will find the price is quite good. :thumbsup:
I do have them in stock $15.00!
Claude

KTMpilot
Writer
Writer

Post by KTMpilot »

Thanks Cladoo, but I fashioned up a custom switch thats pretty cool. It's the "DEMON BOB" switch, for when the trails get really nasty!
IMG_1753.JPG
1977 Can-Am Qualifier

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

I actually prefer the Red spring over the Yellow, I found I couldn't predict as easily when the yellow would hit, and it kept throwing me straight into trees! :crazy: With the red the PV opens earlier, and I'm able to control the power more as I don't find it as abrupt. I haven't tried the green yet. The yellow may be better for tractoring around, but I just didn't like the hit as much.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R