RMDRA 'Dirty Moose' 2010 Cross Country at Fallen Timber

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: RMDRA 'Dirty Moose' 2010 Cross Country at Fallen Timber

Post by thirtyseven »

Nice job Aaron!!!!!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Big thanks to Mike D. Sean B. and Dave S. for putting on an outstanding race :thumbsup:

Thanks to all the volunteers who helped clear and flag the course the weeks leading up to the race. :applause:

Special thanks to those that gave up racing to sweep so that the rest of us could. (Zeal, Shannon, Scott, Mike...I know there are others) :cheers: :cheers:

You guys/girls are all awesome :nworthy:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

results are up on CMRC....still has race listed for Mclean :smirk:

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Post by KanadianIceMan »

Super fun Race! If you started behind the intermediates, you got to see me fail terribly on the start, wow that was pretty funny.

FYI, do NOT use BRAND NEW boots on race day, i found out quick that the soles on my new Sidis (sponsored by MRSI/Walt Healy) are a tad bit less grippy on the bottom than my worn out Alpine Stars, Made a jump over the 1st root & then my left foot promptly slid off the footpeg, that was awesome.

after about 5 minuets of stopping/testing I got my boots sinched up proper & I could race once more!

About 5 KM in my patch on my sidewall fail and i had an insanley flat trials tire. But Once again my Tubliss tire system worked as it should, keeping my beed in tact, for all remaining 45KM.

Surprisingly the tire worked on everything, however it felt like a 20lbs 19" 19/100 when hitting roots & such as the 110psi liner was now my tube. I actually started to do the trials bunny hop on logs cause it was hitting HARDDD, But it got me threw everything.

Then the big "hill" everyone was talking about. OMG im sorry, but the bump seat i put on, 13/52 gearing, and flat trials tire made easy work of this hill, I dont know who I all passed on the hil, but i could not believe the bike tractored right up the hill with at least 10 guys pushing and throwing rocks 50 feet down the hill. I was blown away, I think i had a WAHOO at the top and just started chuckling because I thought the hill would be the end of me with the flat tire. I guess the 1 square foot of rubber i was laying down did the trick ahha. Tubliss i LOVE YOU!!! (ps im the 29 yammy yellow gear that went straight up he hill, sorry for laughing guys!)

After the hill it was fairly smooth sailing, i could only do 3rd/4th gear (13/52 gearing mind you ) with my flat tire as the trials wallow a bit at high speed cursing that I didnt throw my trusty maxxis IT on there that i run flat all the time!, but i got the hang of it. I still could not believe I had the traction i did, and still finished the race actually hoping for another lap to redeem my 5 min of BS at the start of the race, silly awesome sidi boots i love you!!!

All in all pretty cool course layout & a great field of competitors, i LOVE the xcs and am glad this one was put on in the area it was. I definatley got my log practice on with the 110lbs i was now running on, Wow did i want to make sure I cleaned eveyrone or whiplash was there haunting me.

Many thanks to the volunteers who spent an AMAZING amount of time cutting in there, those who were on trail making/clearing duty for the gov't approved ridges, it was BAD, these guys did some outstanding work. And all you had to do was follow the sawdust for the race!

Cant wait to see the overalls!

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

KanadianIceMan wrote:If you started behind the intermediates, you got to see me fail terribly on the start, wow that was pretty funny.
I was wondering who that was. The funniest part was seeing a couple kids run over with their camera's to try and document your embarrasment up close.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

gdg530
Writer
Writer

Post by gdg530 »

Fantastic job done by everyone but especially the ones who put the time in on the trail.I didn't think i would even race since i was fighting the flu but was waiting for this race for awhile and eventhough i felt like sludge i caught myself many times saying how fun this trail was...even the hill was a challenge but fun to finally make it up...of course to only see many more climbs and logs.Great work everyone.

FlamesFan
Writer
Writer

Post by FlamesFan »

This was my first time attending an organized event like this. Even though I did not race, I still had a great time doing some sweeping and helping with what I could! Many props go out to everyone involved with this event.

- Sean

Brenan225
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Brenan225 »

Once again the members of this club really came together. It was literally a 11th hour decision to let the Jr and "B" riders out on the "Expert Loop", thanks to our great sweepers who gave up a race to help the club. I had lots of wives show up for scanning and scoring, so many that no one had to work more than one race. We had no complaints from parents or racers, most were really happy with the course at the finnish but were glad they didn't have to go out again. I know it has been said already but thank you to every one that showed up to help.

Sean Brenan
Race Director
Resist, Insist,and Persist

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Bark wrote:I finished!

I really, really enjoyed the event. My body is in utter agony today but I finished! No single challenge on that race was insurmountable; in fact, I estimate that it was all super rideable but at my skill & fitness level it was all I could do to finish. But, I did every foot of it myself. That was like Olympic Gold for me guys!

I was taking a break after the first checkpoint and a helper came down to tell the checkpoint team to tell any remaining riders that this was one very nasty hill and that some may consider taking an easy out. I thought that might be a sign to check out but then I told myself there is no way I'm not attempting this hill. It was helpful that I knew it was a nasty hill. I made it to where the helpers were hanging out and fizzled out 50m from the top in one go. I took that little loop, had a power bar, then went on up. Thats nice to have a 500 when faced with a big hill.

I would like to thank Zeal and the RMDRA spokesperson (sorry, don't know that guy) at the last checkpoint for not making me go back and do that log. They told me that I would DNF if I didn't go back and do that log. There was no way I was leaving without a t-shirt and if a DNF meant no t-shirt, then I was going back to do that log. Then they let me off the hook.

Thanks to all the volunteers and trail clearing teams for putting on an outstanding event!

Cheers,
Aaron
Big thums up to you man, Otter and I were riding other guys bikes up the hills and you chugged along right on up it!

P.S. I was the sweeper on the white KTM.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Hendrix13 wrote:Big thanks to Mike D. Sean B. and Dave S. for putting on an outstanding race :thumbsup:
Don't forget Howard! Long live H Law!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Thank you for the nice reviews. Just returned from the site. The race course is cleaned up and de-ribboned and it held up very well. By Monday the whole course was dried out quite a bit more. The difference that a day makes. :excuse:

It sounds like everyone enjoyed themselves. :thumbsup:

For me my nemesis was a section that I've named "torture". It's the 5 big logs in a row that are slightly off square with the trail. It's not that they are that difficult but by the time I got to them, I had little left to really attack them. Crashed both times.

I like to say a big thanks to Zeal and Tab who helped me de-ribbon yesterday. Also to Dobi and Rogue for de-ribboning the small loop and the end of the big loop. That was really appreciated.