Hiya!

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Hiya!

Post by giantjoe »

Hello
My name is Joe and I just bought a bike! It's been about 15 years since I've done any riding. I bought a brand new Suzuki DR-Z400S from Walt Healy. Nice guys, easy purchase.
fullsizeoutput_42.jpeg
I don't have a clue where to offroad around here, and anticipate I won't see much 'till spring, but hey it's good to take some time to research a little before getting out there. I still have to get my class 6 but have already got the learners test done.

Does anyone know where to get insurance without a license? I'd like to take the test on my own bike.
Last edited by giantjoe on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AM407
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Hiya!

Post by AM407 »

Congrats on the new bike! I've only seen yellow DR-Zs, but it sure looks great in white. :thumbsup:

For insurance, you might want to try Blue Circle in Calgary. I think I had to pay about a grand for insurance when I first got my bike and had no license, but they were happy to cancel my policy and write me a cheaper one a few weeks later when I got my license. I've always had excellent service from them.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Wow! My insurance company, Meloche Monnex won't insure me 'till I have a license and have taken the course. Then they only are going to charge $119/yr. Maybe I should just take a course and borrow their bike for the road test...

Thanks for the compliment on the bike, this year they come in black as well, it was a tough decision.

MrsMike
User
User

Post by MrsMike »

"My insurance company, Meloche Monnex won't insure me 'till I have a license and have taken the course."

Strange...Dobi and I are insured through Meloche Monnex for our house, vehicles, RV, and both our bikes. Neither of us have the class 6 bike license, nor have we taken a course (perhaps one of us should take it, though - it might lead to fewer "incidents")- although having said that, maybe Dobi told them something I don't know about :thinking:

Anyhow, hopefully you can get it sorted out. You have to be really clear with them that it's for offroad use only and they are not even allowed to be used on roads like other bikes- it takes a hammer to get that through to them - I seem to recall arguing for quite some time about it....

Cheers,
Lee

aka MrsMike
Porschev, you can call me "The First Lady"

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

My bike is a dual sport. I fully intend on riding it on the street. I think that's why they want me to take the course. I got insurance through Blue Circle and intend on getting it registered as soon as I get my pink cards, tonight I hope. Thanks for the info though. I'll get insurance through Meloche Monnex next year after I have got around to taking the course, since I hope to pass the test next week. That is if someone responds to going out on Thanksgiving :)

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

I got my license in October! I'm insured and ready to ride. I've already got some junk to fix up the bike and can't wait for spring.

Ynot303
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Ynot303 »

giantjoe wrote:I got my license in October! I'm insured and ready to ride. I've already got some junk to fix up the bike and can't wait for spring.
That spring fever sure is going around! Grab yourself an RMDRA membership and head out to the guided rides on Wednesdays! You'll learn lots of great trails in our area.

Come to a meeting and check us out, we meet the first Thursday of every Month :thumbsup:
2024 RMDRA Treasurer - #303

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

My time is up...

Post by giantjoe »

Well, that was a short 7 years. It's time to admit I'm moving from the Calgary area and won't be able to ride with you guys on Wednesdays anymore... :poop:

When I joined the club, I was as green as could be. I knew how to read riding lines from previous experience on a mtb, but managing a clutch and stuff hadn't happened in a long time. When I joined, Jacques (absurveyor) was the Guided Rides guy and he took me out on all kinds of rides starting with quad trails, and then eventually some singletrack, and into some pretty gnarly stuff as my skills were honed. I remember on my first ride out, we went all the way down the gravel road from the paved loop, and then did a downhill that was not recommended for me to try since I had some semi-knobby dual sport tires on. We eventually headed back to upper elbow lookout and I did that first climb with ease, even on those DS tires (at ~25+ psi). After that tiny amount of singletrack, I knew I was hooked. I bought knobbies before the next wednesday, and installed them and rode out to every ride I could possibly do that summer.

At the end of the year, I went to the General Annual Meeting, and there was a long lull when they asked for someone to help with Club Nights. I couldn't take the silence. I needed singletrack and Club Nights so badly in my life I volunteered to be on the exec right then and there. I've been the club night guy for 5 years, with one or two given up while I was club president. After that I (my wife) needed a break from the exec, so I stepped down and was able to help covertly with Club Nights, while not being on the exec and have ever since. I am sorely going to miss getting out and pumping some adrenaline every week this summer and beyond. I hope I can find a group of guys (and girls) half as cool as you all are. I am truly sad to be leaving.

I couldn't leave without saying a special thanks to a bunch of people I have met over the years. I will miss some of you and I am truly sorry for that. Thanks to Jacques, Mike S, Dave S, Mike D, Tim and Alyssa, hospitality Bob, Steve, Les, Brian, Josh and Kristen, Patrick W, Dallas, Doug, Marco, Marcel, Deb G, Melissa H, Alex C, Jaime K, Ken, Gerry, Robert, Jon, Geoff, Karly, and more people I can't think of right now. You all showed me so much about riding, community and love for the sport. One more big thanks for everyone who convinced me to get rid of my 320lb DR-Z, as soon as I got a decent bike my speed increased exponentially...

You should go check out my vimeo page to see how much I've grown as a rider since the beginning. http://www.vimeo.com/giantjoe
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Joe, speaking for the entire club I can most surely say you'll be greatly missed. You've been nothing but great for the club and sport. I remember when you got your DR-Z and how green but eager you were. It was clear the DR-Z wouldn't last long. Wishing you the best of luck where ever life takes you. Now, why the secret...where ever is life taking you?
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

350scott wrote:Joe, speaking for the entire club I can most surely say you'll be greatly missed. You've been nothing but great for the club and sport. I remember when you got your DR-Z and how green but eager you were. It was clear the DR-Z wouldn't last long. Wishing you the best of luck where ever life takes you. Now, why the secret...where ever is life taking you?
X2... :cheers:

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Really sorry to see you go Joe, big loss for the club. It was a pleasure to work with you on several club projects over the years especially when you were Prez. :thumbsup: Please don't tell us your new closest riding area is going to be the castle.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Unfortunately yes Dylan. I forgot to say thanks to all three of you. It was a pleasure working with you guys. I'm heading to Magrath (15 min south of Lethbridge) because my wife wants to be closer to her family.

Castle and Porkies are about the same distance away. Too far...
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

We are gonna miss you around here!!! Thanks for all your contributions and sacrifice to the Club and to keeping Club Rides a great experience! Good Luck down 'South'!
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Now I will be the tallest dude in the club. :-)
Thanks for all the hard work over the years and a lot of do day trips to porkies, so keep hangin out here, maybe we can hook up sometime for a ride. All the best to you and the family and keep rockin that rattle can husky.. lol

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

I greatly enjoyed my time on the exec with you, and you will be greatly missed. Thank you for all of your contributions to the club, for bringing your girls in to visit me at the shop (remember the fun Hailey used to have here?), and just generally being a super cool guy. All the best Joe. I will call you when your pipe is in :)
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW