Shaw PVR

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Shaw PVR

Post by steve-o »

anyone have any experience getting recordings off their PVR onto a computer so you can burn the shows to disc.

I need to transfer the whole season of supercross soon as my PVR is at 91% capacity.

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Re: Shaw PVR

Post by KanadianIceMan »

I think the easiest route would be to find the shows/episodes online, burn those & get a DIVX codec player.

I know costco has some PVR's with DVD burners on them. However transfering your shows may be hard to that new unit to burn.

Is there an option to add a USB hdd to your PVR? I reccomend going to memoryexpress in calgary and grabbing a 500GB-1TB hdd for 150$
Helmet Cameras! http://hcc.tv/secondgear
CONTACT mitch@secondgearclub.com
SGC PHOTOS Second Gear Club Photo Galleries
05' YZ250 - Pumpkin Eater

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I think generally they (Shaw, etc.) don't want you to be able to do that, so it's not going to be straight forward. It is just a hard drive though, so I'm sure there are hacks being done out there.

Ricktc
Writer
Writer

Post by Ricktc »

http://www.mininova.org/user/slicknick610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you need to download the episodes, they are all there, plus many other seasons and other movies as well. I use Limewire to download, works great.

-Rick
Rick Charles
#971 Junior
2007 WR450F

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I noticed the latest one is Salt Lake City. I was expecting Las Vegas. What's the scoop? Is Vegas still to come?

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

dirtyboy wrote:I noticed the latest one is Salt Lake City. I was expecting Las Vegas. What's the scoop? Is Vegas still to come?
Season finale this Saturday at 8PM, live tv. This is the Vegas round! Should be good!! DB, I though tyou wanted to host a kegger for this one?? Go Bubba!!

absurveyor
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by absurveyor »

The PS3 will play avi and Divx files. You can put 2 hours of non copyright :smirk: video on a regular cd in just a few minutes. Use bittorrent for downloading. A word of warning Telus may send you a piracy warning notice if your bandwith usage is high, or if you are downloading a copyright program. Shaw does not care because Canadian laws do not make file sharing illegal.
I would expect that the PVR has a regular hard drive. Pop it out and take it to memory express. They will set you up with an external hard drive adapter (under $30) that you can use to copy the files to your PC for burning. Then spend under $80 and pick up a larger internal hard drive for the PVR ($59 for a 640 GB).
'If you can't be fast at least look cool"- Absurveyor circa 1992

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

absurveyor wrote: I would expect that the PVR has a regular hard drive. Pop it out and take it to memory express. They will set you up with an external hard drive adapter (under $30) that you can use to copy the files to your PC for burning. Then spend under $80 and pick up a larger internal hard drive for the PVR ($59 for a 640 GB).
You sure about that? I thought Shaw and Bell encrypt their recordings in the PVR so they could not be copied. :excuse:

Edit: A quick search on google shows the Bell PVR footage can be ripped but not Shaw.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

If you don't want to pony up for a PS3, you can get a DVD player from SuperStore that will play DivX and Mpeg files and the like. Best $40 I've spent in a long time.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I believe that I can copy a program off my Bell PVR if I watch it at the same time.
Claude