New Forum

Site feedback, bugs, Report it here. How do I? Ask here.
DXL77
Writer
Writer

Re: New Forum

Post by DXL77 »

Auto - login is working now. Thanks DB
08 WR450 (mine)
08 PW 50 (daughter)

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Good Job DB, you know I like the blue forum color! Anyway tyhe site loads much faster now that the login is working. Also thanks for making the posts that I have been active in show the small red triangle, very helpful. :thumbsup: :applause: :cheers: WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Thanks for the feedback WR_Dave. This version has a lot of nice features once you get used to where things are. :D

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I'm finding that some threads that I have read at home are still showing up as unread when I'm at work, while others are showing up as read. Is the thread status stored in the forum's database, or in a cookie on my machine?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

cedric,

I have it set to track the read/unread marks on the server rather than in a cookie. Additionally, guests (you when you are not logged in) have no read/unread tracking. I don't want to track read marks for guests because it takes additional resources and I'd like to encourage users to register and login so that they may utilize all the features.

I personally use multiple machines and all of the machines seem to show the same read marks for me, so I am unable to reproduce the issue. I did make changes yesterday to these settings so perhaps it will straighten out for you moving forward? Perhaps if you "Mark forums read" on both machines it will synchronize and straighten out?

Please report back in a day or two on this issue. If you still have issues, I'll investigate further.

Also, I don't have the automatic refresh on the main page like I've had in the past. I'm considering this option but I'm on the fence. :thinking:

Superwilly
User
User

Post by Superwilly »

Right now when I log in I have to click a link to "return to the index page". Should this be set to automatic so once I log in I automatically get forwarded to the index page?
'06 CRF450X

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Superwilly,

If you enable autologin it doesn't do that.

Otherwise it is working as designed and if your browser supports the script (most do) then it will change to the Main index page after about 10 seconds. I know 10 seconds is a life time when you are waiting for your browser. It is kind of annoying but without custom programming I can't change it. If I get more feedback on this issue I'll investigate further.

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

cedric wrote:I'm finding that some threads that I have read at home are still showing up as unread when I'm at work, while others are showing up as read. Is the thread status stored in the forum's database, or in a cookie on my machine?
Same here. Even if I click on "mark forums" read, they still all appear in "view new posts". Not even from machine to machine.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

markvfr wrote:Same here. Even if I click on "mark forums" read, they still all appear in "view new posts". Not even from machine to machine.
The view new posts link doesn't have anything to do with read/unread marks. I'm not sure the exact logic but it looks like it shows you the "new" posts from within the last 24 hour time period. The read/unread marks only show the topic icons as red if unread and black if read.

When you open the "view new posts" link, are the post icons red or black?

Edit: View new posts is my favorite view. I just refresh that and I can tell if there are new posts to read or not. :D
Last edited by dirtyboy on Fri May 23, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I had another thought

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

dirtyboy wrote:
The view new posts link doesn't have anything to do with read/unread marks. I'm not sure the exact logic but it looks like it shows you the "new" posts from within the last 24 hour time period. The read/unread marks only show the topic icons as red if unread and black if read.

When you open the "view new posts" link, are the post icons red or black?

Edit: View new posts is my favorite view. I just refresh that and I can tell if there are new posts to read or not. :D
Ah, I see. On the last forum, whenever I wanted to clear my "unread" posts I'd mark all forums read. Its a little different here. I'm used to the old way, as I could be away from the forum for a few days and open the unread folder and be sure that I haven't missed anything from the last login. Am I correct to say that the "view new posts" folder will be updated (lets say every 24hrs), so if I'm away for a week, I would have to then go through individual folders to get up to speed (ie active threads?) Just curious. I'm still exploring the forum... I see that the "active topics" might be a useful tool.

Cheers,
:cheers:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

markvfr wrote:Am I correct to say that the "view new posts" folder will be updated (lets say every 24hrs), so if I'm away for a week, I would have to then go through individual folders to get up to speed (ie active threads?)
Yep, that's right.

The icons in red will point you to the posts that you haven't read for the week. This way it still allows you to read everything if you want without too much searching.

Another idea might to go into your User Control Panel and set the option to display topics from previous 7 days and then search around. It has options to show 1 day, 7 days, 2 weeks, 1 month, etc. This also might be a good option for dial up users so that they don't get a lot of old stuff.

Grumps
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grumps »

I can't find an explanation of the circle beside the forums. Inside the cirle are different immages, some have scrolling horizontal black lines, some have stationary horizontal black lines, what is the difference between these two? When I 'hover' my mouse over those two, they both report the same message (either 'new posts' or 'no new posts' depending on the outline circle colour)

I'm sure there is a 'legend' somewhere that explains this but I can't find it. :thinking:
Thanks.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Apparently the programmers decided that the legend was a waste of space.
This is a summary of the new topic icons and what they mean.

Two general points
- Red icons are unread items, blue/grey are read
- A star on any thread means you have posted in it

Image - Announcement
Image - Sticky thread
Image - Read topic
Image - Unread topic
Image - Read topic that you have posted in
Image - Unread topic that you have posted in
Image - Hot topic that you haven't read
Image - Hot topic that you have read
Image - Locked thread
Image - Moved thread
Image - Forum with subforums (which have been read)
Image - Forum with subforums (which are unread)
Image - Link forum
Image - Attachment
Image - Go to last post in the thread
Image - Go to last unread post in the thread
Image - Subforum read
Image - Subforum unread

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

:thinking: One added point. The icons have tool tips. A tool tips will show if you stop and hover your mouse over the icon. A little tool tip will display telling you about the object. It really helps in ciphering these things. :D :thumbsup:

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

Pphhhhhhh....Pphhhhhh! (That's the sound of me blowing the dust off of this old thread!)

Hey dirtyone, what makes the horizontal lines scroll. As per the above it means a 'hot topic', but what's that?
For the longest time I thought it meant that someone was 'scrolling' through that thread, but when you enter the
thread and go to the bottom there may not be any current viewers... :excuse: