Posting Privileges?

Site feedback, bugs, Report it here. How do I? Ask here.
MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Posting Privileges?

Post by MotorEd »

Hey Admin, I think this site should require that you become a registered member before you can post? (ie a guest has view only privileges and cant post?) This would help topics from getting out of control or ugly?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Posting Privileges?

Post by dirtyboy »

MotorEd wrote:Hey Admin, I think this site should require that you become a registered member before you can post? (ie a guest has view only privileges and cant post?) This would help topics from getting out of control or ugly?
MotorEd,

Thanks for providing the feedback.

I thought about blocking anonymous users also. I made the decision to allow guests to post to certain forums to encourage input from folks that didn't want to take the time or didn't want to register. I hope that once the anonymous poster returns a few times that he or she would register. My goal is to have the board used. I don't think we'll break 100 posts by next year :nopity: It's tough to attract members to an empty board.

I am closely monitoring the guest posts and will edit the posts or eliminate the ability for guests to post if it becomes a problem.
Edit wrote:I have installed a modification that will thwart an automated process from posting due to the time a person would take to post compared to the time that a 'bot' would take. So we shouldn't get any automated spam posts.
Actually I just checked my log and I haven't installed that one yet, but it is possible should this become an issue.

So far, I feel the biggest problem is that very few of us are posting anything since we have very few posts. Do you think that users are nervous that an anonymous person might dish them? Once the board gets more lively, or we have an issue with anonymous posting I will change the board policy immediately.

The Honda_Rider post was me testing the system out and the other 2 guest posts came from the same computer that a user registered from so I assume they signed up. So far all "real" guests that have posted have registered.

Guests are allowed to post in "Kick the Admin", General, Offroad, Ride Reports, Land Advocacy and Technical forums.

Registration is required in the Announcements, Classified and Introductions (just changed now) forums.

What do you think? I'm still open to your comments and suggestions.

Sorry to ramble on so long :blah:

Post by Guest »

Dirtboy, you have a point...once the site is up and running wide open in 3rd or 4th gear then you might impliment the no posting unless a registered member rule.

I dont think people are scared to post because of the potential to be trash talked by guests. Its a new site and a new forum and will take time to get rolling.

"If you build it...they will post"....it just may take some time!

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Look at that...didnt realize I wasnt logged in and posted a reply as a guest! HAH!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

MotorEd wrote:Look at that...didnt realize I wasnt logged in and posted a reply as a guest! HAH!
Hehehe, Sorry you just lost a post for your ranking.... :crybaby:

Seriously, thanks for the input and the consideration.

I hope you and your family have a very prosperous and happy new year in 2005. :santa:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

MotorEd wrote:Look at that...didnt realize I wasnt logged in and posted a reply as a guest! HAH!
I am finding that lot's of users are doing the same now. I am revoking guest access immediately.