Site feedback, bugs, Report it here. How do I? Ask here.
cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I've tried twice now to upload a new avatar file, and each time it appears to happen successfully, but in neither case has it actually been updated. My old one has been removed, but the new one fails to appear. It's only an 8Kb image, so I doubt that it is too big. Does this functionality work, or do I need to host it somewhere else?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Cedric,

I found that I had a permission problem so the avatar was not getting saved when uploaded. I made the adjustments so it should work now. Please try again.

Thanks for pointing out the issue! I hope it works for you now.

BackInAction
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by BackInAction »

Hmmmm....I'm stumped. When I try to edit any picture down to the pixel size (100) and content volume (29k) that is specified as acceptable to post, my potential avatar is so dang small, de-pixled and un-colored that it is unrecognizable.

You'd need both a microscope and a decoder ring to figure out what it is supposed to be!

Yet, I see avatars on this site that show a ton of detail compared to what I'm attempting even before editing down, and some even have animation?

I can't believe those avatars are only 29kb files!

What am I missing?

I need to go to avatar/picture editing school....
’07 Berg FE650E
'06 DRZ400S
Goals: Start a race in 2012;Roost Fryguy;Wheelie in 6th;Beer

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

BIA,

I'm not too good with graphics either but what I use is called Paint Shop Pro. I just do a resize or canvas resize and save it as a JPG or GIF and it seems to work pretty well.

I just noticed that cedric's avatar is 143kb (he has it hosted at photobucket) and our 30kb limit from a long time ago seems pretty small now. I just increased the size to 147kb so that animated avatars will work but also so that it is still pretty small for quick loading. 100 px square is still the limit for visual size.

I can 't promise anything but if you want to email me the picture I'll shrink it down to 100px for you and set up your avatar. My email address in on the Contacts page.

:cheers:

BackInAction
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by BackInAction »

Thanks Dirtyboy!

With the size now jacked up to 147k, I'll take another shot at mastering the avatar.

If the system humilates me, yet again, I'll double back and fire my original to you as suggested.

Now for some pixel shrinking.... :banana:
’07 Berg FE650E
'06 DRZ400S
Goals: Start a race in 2012;Roost Fryguy;Wheelie in 6th;Beer