Fallen Timber Master Plan

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
cmurray
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fallen Timber Master Plan

Post by cmurray »

I'm a rookie in my first season and I am amazed at what this club accomplishes. Incredible effort that is most appreciated.
2009 WR 250 F

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

We are on the verge of getting permission from AESRD (needs to be renewed every year) to continue with trail inventory in the Ghost (commitment is to have something in place before this weekend). The placards have been updated this year to allow a placard holder to take a team of up-to 6 people. This is a huge advance from the one additional person the placards where authorized for last year (thanks for pushing this through the GSMG Dobi :thumbsup: ). It should allow us to make better progress. More importantly, it allows more people to get involved.

I like to organize a Trail Inventory for this Saturday June 21,2014. Our goal is to start the inventory on trails west of Fallen Timber campground.
I’d like to start with the old race loop from the campground. I know it’s short notice but I’d like to have at least 2-3 people to help out. More if others with Placards can make it and we can break into teams.

We will be going over what trail inventory is and how to capture the information that’s needed based on the NOHVAC and GSMG standards.

Overall I’m interested in volunteers who are also interested in helping with trail inventory throughout the summer.
Almost all of these trails would be classified as primitive or in many cases, nonexistent. You’d need to have above average riding capabilities including riding in dense coverage with a lot of debris on the ground or overhead. This may also include stream crossings and steep climbs. We don’t want to go ripping everything up, so good clutch control is required. You should also be able to ride 25-50km of single track in any conditions (i.e. come prepared).
Finally, your bike and equipment must be in excellent condition including tires.

A definite asset would be someone that can ride and operate a chain saw to help clear debris.
Also, owning and knowing how to use a GPS would be required. After all, we need to capture GPS locations on the trail that will be part of a future trail plan (eg bridges etc) as part of the inventory.

Having said all this, hopefully I haven’t scared too many people off. Bottom line is that placard holders can’t go out alone to do the inventory. There’s safety in numbers. I would recommend a minimum of 3 people and preferably 4 people to a group. This is ultimately up to the placard holders (ride leaders) but if there’s not enough support then the inventory won’t get done.

Once we have a few volunteers trained then we can look at allocating more placards.

Please let me know ASAP via PM if you can come so I can plan accordingly.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

This is exceptional news! Finally, we can actually do something out there.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

I probably can't make Saturday (or heli day tomorrow) but I'm happy to help out through the summer. I used to be a surveyor so I'm pretty handy with the GPS and chainsaw.

Pumped to help getting some more trails on the go.
Mark Williams
2016 500EXC

blackchrome
User
User

Post by blackchrome »

Love the trails in fallen timber would be more than willing to help but Saturday but busy alreaddy. But would be able to help out sun or any other date in future

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

If it wasn't too early of a start I could attend.

Bike good, fresh tires n mousses, Stihl mounted, tank good for 80+km (rider good for 50-60) :D, GPS away for repair but can borrow one perhaps.

Text 4oh3 966 0870, as I'd need to load up Friday evening.