Fallen Timber Master Plan

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
okotok
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fallen Timber Master Plan

Post by okotok »

Email sent.

okotok
Contributor
Contributor

Post by okotok »

I even got a nice reply from Martin. I was pleasantly surprised.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

I jumped on the email bandwagon. Thanks for all your efforts Mike, Jamie, Jacques, and Robert! :nworthy:
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

First off my apologies for not updating this earlier. For those of you that have been around the GSMG, you know that nothing is ever easy or timely there. When I left off months ago, we had received approval from the trail sub-committee of the GSMG for the master plan concept for the area TMU300. We all had expectations around the table that we would take this approved proposal forward to the larger GSMG as a summary discussion, then it would receive the necessary support to move forward with the trail inventory stage. Well, that didn’t go ever as well as we had originally planned, and through a series of meetings, a few meetings rescheduled due to quorum issues and the flooding, we were finally able to receive the support of thelarger GSMG body to go out and do what we set out to do. For those of you that missed that, attached is a copy of the summary that was distributed for overview.
Where we are at today is this. We need to go out and inventory all the existing single track that exists in the area, we need to lay out the new singletrack that we are proposing, inventory it, and then compile all of this into an inventory report.
What new singletrack you ask? Jamie Kromery and Can-Am Geomatics have spent tonnes of time building up this great dataset that has become a master tool at “Imagineering” trail. Those of you that rode the X/C east loop last year got a sampling of how we were able to connect trails around steep slopes, water and skeg crossings, and logging areas. This years course is much an extension of the learning we took from that. Jamie and crew have imagineered a bunch of trail in the fallen timber area, as well as incorporated some of the old existing, known trail and have designed a desktop masterplan. We now need volunteers in a few different capacities to help support the next steps.
We need volunteers with a camera, GPS, and computer to come forward and identify themselves to me as willing participants. The role of this group will be to take a GPS track from Jamie, ride out to the start point and follow the proposed track to see if a trail is suitable/buildable along the track. The route will be flagged in, and if no re-routes or infrastructure are needed the trail will be ready for a final on the ground assessment from the fully trained NOHVCC volunteers.
The second crew of volunteers will be trail clearers. You know how this works. Bring some bug spray, a chainsaw and a shovel and follow the ribbons….
The third pass is the trail inventory inspection. We are working on a template document that can be used that will outline what we are looking for and at what level of detail. The volunteers for this can either be the fully trained NOHVCC volunteers, or we are setting up a light training to get people up to speed with what it takes to get trained up to be able to complete this level of trail inventorying. (More on this to come).
Volunteers for this project will be given a placard by ERSD that allows you to be out riding and inventorying in the area outlined in TMU 300. The expectations on holding these placards is that you will complete the upcoming training and will be an actively engaged participant in this program. These are not free ride passes. Those people found to be abusing the passes and not contributing to the project will be reported to AESRD and the pass will be flagged as pulled.

Jamie and Calvin will be putting together some training night(s) in Calgary, as well as a field day/night to get some on the ground inventory training. These dates will come soon!!
Once the trail inventory reporting is done, I will need computer savvy volunteers to help compile the inventory reports and produce maps (Google Earth based). The template will be provided, it’s just a matter of plunking in the info and maps.
The final trail inventory reports will go back to the GSMG for a final blessing and then on to AESRD for approval. Once we have received this level of approval we will be given the go ahead to install infrastructure in advance of the trails being added to the overall Ghost Map.
This is our chance to prove ourselves. Once we succeed here, we are moving to the other areas of the Ghost to accomplish the same task.
SO, for those of you that want your name on the list of placards, please PM me, Rogue, and Hendrix13.
Any questions, please feel free to message me or call me.
Micheal

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Spectacular! This is the news we've been waiting for. Thanks to all who have contributed and those who will be contributing in the future. We're on our way to having a bunch of new trails!
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Awesome
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Nice work, I wonder how many hours combined that the group of you, and others have put into this?

Riding places for the future generations is priceless. :applause: :cheers:

anotheroldtrailrider
Writer
Writer

Post by anotheroldtrailrider »

We talked a little about it this weekend while we were working on the race course, but I'd love to get involved in both efforts - mapping and clearing once routes are finalized -

I'm not quite GPS ready for Canada yet - I've got a spiffy new Oregon 450 but haven't loaded any Canadian maps yet, but that's about all I need.

Can I play - please?

Art

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

anotheroldtrailrider wrote:We talked a little about it this weekend while we were working on the race course, but I'd love to get involved in both efforts - mapping and clearing once routes are finalized -

I'm not quite GPS ready for Canada yet - I've got a spiffy new Oregon 450 but haven't loaded any Canadian maps yet, but that's about all I need.

Can I play - please?

Art

You don't "need" maps, but if you want TOPO Canada I can give that to you. Just don't tell the men in suits that..

The Oregon, while hard to read in sunlight unless powered, has a neat wireless transfer feature so sharing GPX files is super easy. I've had mine for years and the three biggest dislikes are the screen visibility, battery usage, and the damn USB that Garmin seems to be adopting.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Or just download the free Ibycus topo maps which are better than the Garmin topos.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

So important we have a decent volunteer base for this project, its what many have fought for for years. As Dobi mentioned, this is only the first plan, if we have 3 or 4 of these plans in place from South Ghost to Fallen Timber we could easily end up with over 1,000 KM of legal single track. This will likely be the frame work for a small trail system at Indian Graves. Its imperative we get some legal trails at IG so we have legal access to the area.
Excellent idea to reward the clubs volunteers, Cassino money well spent - well done Exec. :cheers:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9990

anotheroldtrailrider
Writer
Writer

Post by anotheroldtrailrider »

<Or just download the free Ibycus topo maps which are better than the Garmin topos>

I downloaded the McLean Creek map from the members area, but couldn't get it to open correctly - all my IT advisors had the audacity to grow up and move away, so when we get to that point, I might need some technical guidance. (I'm old, and can barely work my TV remote to record stuff) :smirk:

Anyway - whatever the club needs, I'm in. Art

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

I am new to the club as of july and have not volunteered yet and this seems like the perfect opportunity. I would be happy to help with trail clearing, I do not have a chainsaw yet but I can pick up and move the cuts. I will look into getting a chainsaw.
I would also like to thank everyone involved with getting this initiative rolling, these amazing things are why I joined the club and am proud that I did.
:cheers:
Josh
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Alberta SRD Ghost map for Garmin is downloadable here:

http://srd.alberta.ca/MapsPhotosPublica ... fault.aspx

The link keeps changing but this is where it is now. Some Topo is included and all the legal trails are on it. Good for navigating.

singletrack
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by singletrack »

Hey Art,

If you're having trouble loading the SRD map you can call or PM me to help you out. I have done it successfully on 2 Garmin devices so far.