Southern Alberta Land Use Petition

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Southern Alberta Land Use Petition

Post by steve-o »

Hendrix13 wrote:I'm impressed. 3000 people have signed this already :thumbsup:
indeed impressive, however where's the actual petition?, maybe everyone who signed was petitioning for something like banning pizza delivery service in alberta?

rocky mountain racer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rocky mountain racer »

This is posted on the left hand side .
Why this is important
The South Saskatchewan Regional Plan (SSRP) is trying to implement a major land use restriction to Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) usage as well as random camping in Southern AB. It will affect every aspect of outdoor recreation, eg. Quading, Biking, Camping, Hunting, Fishing ect.... This plan has been been in the works for over 2 years and has already had 2 phases passed without the general public's knowledge. The 3rd and final phase is scheduled for May 2013. This plan if taken into effect, will give us .5% of the land that we use today. We need to be heard and voice our side of this to help create a balance for our social environment and NOT let the environmentalists have the only voice in this matter. More information on Alberta's regional plan( In association with the SSRP) can be seen on www.landuse.alberta.ca

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

I saw all that, but I don't think that is the actual petition.??

regardless, i hope it helps. enough is enough.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

steve-o wrote:
indeed impressive, however where's the actual petition?, maybe everyone who signed was petitioning for something like banning pizza delivery service in alberta?
This online stuff is proving to be a little to technical for you. Don't worry steve-o, I hear this Internet thing is just a phase :)
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

steve-o wrote:
No offense to anyone. I'm with Steve-o here. I think it is great that this thing has grown so immensely and the momentum is mind boggling. However, where were these 3000+ people when the formal input into the SSRP was taking place? That would in my opinion have had a way bigger impact. Where is this petition going to end up? An email to ESRD or Allison Redford is not going to stop the land use framework. Lets look at all the petitions that have been signed against logging and oil and gas in the eastern slopes.....

I am stoked to see it get to where it is at, I just hope whomever set it up is going to try and take it as far as possible ie:media coverage on the steps of the legislature. :cheers:

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Dobi wrote:
steve-o wrote:
No offense to anyone. I'm with Steve-o here. I think it is great that this thing has grown so immensely and the momentum is mind boggling. However, where were these 3000+ people when the formal input into the SSRP was taking place? That would in my opinion have had a way bigger impact. Where is this petition going to end up? An email to ESRD or Allison Redford is not going to stop the land use framework. Lets look at all the petitions that have been signed against logging and oil and gas in the eastern slopes.....

I am stoked to see it get to where it is at, I just hope whomever set it up is going to try and take it as far as possible ie:media coverage on the steps of the legislature. :cheers:
Very good point Dobi... where were 3000+ when phase 2 was open to public input? It was advertised heavily on the radio. Thank God the RMDRA was out in full force hitting all the Calgary and surrounding towns public meetings as well as having someone at the private Stakeholder meeting in the mornings. This resulted in the Club being offered a chance to submit a Position Paper that would be looked at separately from all the data gathered at the public meetings. I believe 9 of us worked on this over the course of several weeks with RJ doing most of the work and writing - which turned out unbelievable - a very professional and first class effort.
To anyone that rides in Southern Alberta and would like to continue to do so, and you do NOT have a RMDRA membership.... well not really sure what you're thinking - some mindboggling stuff for sure. :crazy:

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

All:

I agree that this groundswell is impressive, but share the concern that they are a bit late to the party - smack dab in between the RAC Advice consultation phase and the Draft Plan consultation phase. I hope the energy lasts until the Draft Plan is released and effort is put into understanding the Draft Plan and responding to that...

I feel strongly that RMDRA is well positioned to have ongoing input - I had an excellent conversation with a Senior Consultation Manager from the Land Use Secretariat on Thursday, in fact. We have definitely been heard - how our input works into the Draft Plan will be seen when it is released (likely in late May or June) - but I am optimistic!

My PERSONAL OPINION is that we will have more success steering the SSRP to our favour than stopping it - so I confess I am a bit irked by terms like "opposition".

Here is a newscast that captures the genesis of the petition - starts at 7:23.

RJH

Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

rocky mountain racer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rocky mountain racer »

The petition and news interviews are all about letting people know that this plan is even taking place. Most people thought that the SSRP was about land use in South Sask. not Southern Alberta. We are just getting people fired up so when phase 3 takes place people will turn out for the public consultation.
From past experience with land issues, government of all levels will only tell you what you want to here and then proceed to do the exact opposite. The RMDRA should be well aware of this when they were stabbed in the back during the Ghost FLUZ process.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Almost 4000 now.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

The petition has been shared with my American friends that have dreamed of coming up here. :thumbsup:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Dobi, RJ, trailguy you have excellent points but I think something like the petiyion is advantagious both generally (lets a large volume of folks "have their say" with a chance they may be heard.) and specifically for the RMDRA (an organization the government can turn to, to have these voices "interpreted" for them). Where WAS everyone? Well, organizing dirtbikers is like herding cats.... pretty much impossible, but I think a petition outside of the RMDRA can be like the firecracker that focus' attention to the fact that our stance has broader support in the population outside of the club.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

4429 now :cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

4912, lets hit the 5000 :applause:

Waxy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Waxy »

Impressive to see the numbers keep growing!

I agree that this isn't going to change the world or stop the SSRP, but at least it's bringing attention to the issue to wide range of people and putting some solid numbers behind those that oppose it. Those are both things that the RMDRA can use to our advantage.

Waxy

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Waxy wrote:Impressive to see the numbers keep growing!

I agree that this isn't going to change the world or stop the SSRP, but at least it's bringing attention to the issue to wide range of people and putting some solid numbers behind those that oppose it. Those are both things that the RMDRA can use to our advantage.

Waxy
The numbers are definitely an asset - I just made it 4961.

RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350