What SLS did to the McLean Creek trails in 2011/2012

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

What SLS did to the McLean Creek trails in 2011/2012

Post by dirtyboy »

The attached presentation was created for the West Bragg Creek logging consultation and it has extensive pictures of the Barwell trail system, from a before and after perspective. The trail system has not been returned to normal and it appears that it can never be returned to its previous state. I don't think that we expected SLS to put their haul road on our excellent single track trail. How the heck can we quad proof the single track now?

With the trails now being designated with ESRD and the club having to perform all the work and assume the liability of all of the trail infrastructure, I don't think that this is fair. One would assume that when ESRD makes a deal with an OHV club for to maintain and assume liability for designated trails that logging should not wipe out these trails at the logging companies discretion.

Please come out the government meetings (Calgary is tonight) and complain to the government about how we don't have enough trails, trails to ride in the winter, and the trails that we do have are being trashed by logging. Perhaps we could get the same deal that the non-mototized group from West Bragg Creek obtained. (This is outlined below)

The result of the West Bragg Creek trails negotiation was the following:
Environment and Sustainable Resource Development (ESRD) announced the approval of a FireSmart logging plan for west Bragg Creek on Oct 30, 2012. Working within the existing land use framework, the Greater Bragg Creek Trails Association (GBCTA) worked hard over the last 12 months to have trails protected from logging so that the integrity of the West Bragg Creek (WBC) trail system is maintained. Over the last several months, other trail users have also provided input to ESRD.
Generally, all trails will have 50 meter buffers on each side of the trails where logging will not be conducted. This is a very good outcome for trails, as previous Operating Ground Rules would have allowed all trails to be completely clearcut. With these buffers now incorporated into the Final Harvest Plan, ESRD has recognized the importance of recreational interests in multi-use public lands.
The ski trail mitigations resulted in the majority of proposed cut-blocks over ski trails being removed in the approved FireSmart harvest plan. Where harvest cut-blocks still exist (a small cut-block on the north end of Telephone, and another small block on Moose Connector), the ski trails are being buffered with no harvesting of trees for 50 meters on either side of the trail to provide sun and wind protection. There may be some temporary closures of Iron Springs, Crystal Line east and the Mountain Road, which are historic Spray Lake Sawmills (SLS) haul roads. These closures will depend on harvest timing, and the GBCTA is working with SLS to define those closures.
The all season trail mitigations resulted in the majority of all season trails having 50 meter buffers on each side of the trail with no harvesting of trees. Exceptions to that include some wind exposed all season trails that have a 30 meter modified buffer zone on the west side of the trails to minimize windthrow across the trails. The details of the 30 meter modified buffer zone have yet to be finalized with ESRD, but will involve the logging of merchantable timber down to a specified minimum diameter, with only a feller-buncher entering the buffer zone, as required, to harvest the trees. No processing of harvested trees or scarification will occur in the 30 meter modified buffer zone. As well, several all season trails have a 50 meter buffer adjacent to the trails plus a 30 meter modified buffer adjacent to the 50 meter buffer, to address potential windthrow or erosion concerns. There will be a number of locations on all season trails that have logging roads or skid trails crossing the trails. Trail signage and closures will be used to address trail user safety.

For details on all of the above, please refer to the ESRD announcement and map on ESRD’s website:
http://www.srd.alberta.ca/Wildfire/Fire ... fault.aspx
The logging negotiations were frustrating to all involved. We hope that we can all learn from, and build on this experience, and that Environment and Sustainable Resource Development (ESRD) will implement an upgraded and updated process and framework prior to initiating the planning of any further logging in WBC. We trust that discussions with ESRD will resume shortly to address several outstanding issues and we look forward to a successful resolution of these issues in a timely fashion.
The GBCTA would like to thank all of you who supported the trails and provided input to ESRD over the last year. Your efforts helped develop this positive outcome for trails.

For further information on the ski trail mitigations, please contact Bruce Barker at ski@braggcreekski.org.
For further information on the all season trail mitigations, please contact Eric Lloyd at elloyd@davincibb.net or (403) 949-2696.
Attachments
2011 MacleanCreek Clear Cut and Trail Damagev4.pdf
(3.03 MiB) Downloaded 106 times

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: What SLS did to the McLean Creek trails in 2011/2012

Post by WRocks »

Nice presentation showing the issues created by the logging in McLean. I do agree this is fragmenting the trail systems and has a negative impact on the riding experience.

However, there may be a long term benefit to the logging and that is the next trail that gets put in will not be disturbed for the next 80 or so years. New sustainable trails can be put in the cut areas that utilize the topography to its full extent (i.e. switchbacks, secondary loops). In essence there is an opportunity to add significantly to the trail network and once created, will be enjoyed undisturbed by numerous generations to come.

Although it is tough to see now imagine what these areas will look like in 10-15 years when the debris is composted and returned to the soil and new tree growth has taken hold. Once the debris is composted in 3-5 years, putting in a new single track trail will be easy, as there will be few stumps and logs left to deal with. After logging, we may have an advantage to getting more trail, as no other group will want to use it and since it has been logged is difficult to argue the disturbance issue.

I’d certainly like to see logging done in a different manner that preserves more trail. I also see that SLS has been doing a better job at preserving trail that they have in the past, but there is still a ways to go to get where we’d like.

The way things are going, I’ll be happy to still have an area to ride 10-20 years from now, so try to see the positive in what seems negative.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

WRocks wrote:I’d certainly like to see logging done in a different manner that preserves more trail. I also see that SLS has been doing a better job at preserving trail that they have in the past, but there is still a ways to go to get where we’d like.

The way things are going, I’ll be happy to still have an area to ride 10-20 years from now, so try to see the positive in what seems negative.
x2 :)
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Dude
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Dude »

x3 for the kids. :cheers:
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat