Pediatric Society looking for youth ATV ban

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Pediatric Society looking for youth ATV ban

Post by cedric »

http://www.cbc.ca/homestretch/episode/2 ... -children/

If these guys get their way, we need to be careful that motorcycles don't get lumped in with ATVs. I would like to be able to ride with my boys in the coming years. There is big difference between a full sized ATV and a minibike landing on you.

Who can I write to?

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Pediatric Society looking for youth ATV ban

Post by Brass »

That report says "TORONTO — Every year, 447 Canadian children under the age of 15 are hospitalized for all-terrain vehicle (ATV) injuries and the Canadian Paediatric Society says that number is on the rise."

Some food for thought. I copied and pasted the info below from a published public information source.

"According to Transport Canada, in 2007 alone, over 1,000 children under the age of 15 were injured while riding their bikes." (bicycles)

Why aren't they looking to ban bicycles?

I'm sure if you research skateboards, snowboard or skiing accidents you'll see similar results. They target ATV and motorized bikes because they are an easy target.

Call or write to your MLA and let them know how you feel.

:soapbox:
The voices are back. Awesome!

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Proportionally there are likley way more children riding bicycles than there are ATV's...

I have seen several children riding ATV's such a 6 year old on a can am 750 (or whatever they are) that shouldn't be. there is no way they have the abilty mentally or physically to process safe and proficient operation of a piece of machinery such as that.

It is a pickle to be in if they place children on motorcycles in the same group as ATV's that's for sure. I don't think they would though. Other than the odd eight year old riding an RM 250 at the sand dunes small kids physically just can't ride a larger bike as easily as they could pilot a large atv... Hence they have to go through a proper learning curve and develop physically and mentally at appropriate levels.

I say let it be legal and let natural selection take care of business.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I totally agree that little kids should not be riding full sized ATVs. It seems to me that the majority of ATV accidents involve at least one of the following:

1. Alcohol
2. Multiple people on one machine
3. No helmets or other safety gear

I just would hate to see 50 and 80cc bikes lumped in with full sized ATVs. It happened in NS years ago, and as I understand it, your kids can only ride on private land there now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/200 ... 51208.html
Although five Tory MLAs and the Liberal caucus voted against the government bill, it passed 30-15.

"My colleagues and I felt it was inappropriate to ban children on children-size machines that were engaging in an activity with their families, without incident by the way," said Brooke Taylor, one of the Tory MLAs who voted against the bill.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

You're right, there are a lot more kids on bicycles. I just find it tough to swallow since there is a much higher exposure rate with bicycles. Meaning because there are more kids on them, there are more injuries. So go after the bicycles. That's my opinion at least.

That said, I'm sure the most severe ATV accidents are with kids riding full size ATV's, though I haven't seen the stats to back that up. I base that assumption on the size, weight and speed limitations on the kid sized quads.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't want a kid to run me or anyone else over on a full size quad and certainly wouldn't want to ever see a kid hurt on one. But, I also wouldn't want to see that same kid stripped of the right to ride an appropriately sized ATV either.

Leave the laws alone and send the do-gooders home.
The voices are back. Awesome!