Riding Banned On Private Land - Noise Issue

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Riding Banned On Private Land - Noise Issue

Post by Kwi-Chang »

I can kind of understand this in Riverside County but it is another wake up call...

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=9051

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

I have no understanding at all, Do you see us riders getting mad when our neighbor feels like cutting his or her lawn at 8:00 pm in the summer? I think if you do it in respect to time of day I don't think iit should be a problem and besides mcgrath's place the closest house to his is about 4 miles through dense bush. At my track at home not to be a bad guy but Vulcan County has no noise by-laws so in theroy I can ride 24-7 But out of respect we don't normally ride untill 10:00am and shut it down normally 7:00 when kids are in school and 9:00pm when summer holidays are here. I think people should stand up for their land!!! :banghead: :banghead:

Anyways just my rant

Rob
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Rob,

I don't understand why you wouldn't take notice to this. If I were you, I'd be enforcing a sound limit at your place.
I think people should stand up for their land!!!
McGrath has lot's of time and money and has been fighting this for 18 months. If it came to the come to, how could you do better than McGrath?

Just like we heard at the meeting last night, we all have to police each other so that we respect the non-riders and the land or we will be loosing many of the privileges that we have become accustomed to in western Canada.

Noise just keeps coming up for us, we need to take notice.

Just my rant. :D

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

I'm not a stick in the mud but you don't see me complaining about the combines, trucks, tractors and grain elevators running all night long in our hamlet or the trucks that crank on the jakes at 2 in the morning to go to the elevator. :banghead: I think sound is importaint but I think the non rider whines a little too much, :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: You never hear the non rider cmplain about the dog barking or the cows mooing or the trucks because that is there bread and butter. Well sombody like Mcgrath gets his bread a little differnt the the average person. I 100% support his fight just the problem is the non riders need to see the other side a little more

Just some more rant.

On another note, thinking of riding this weekend at the south pit? Anyone interested?

Rob
:cheers: :cheers:
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Bike noise seems to be the number one concern right now....Darryl mentioned that this is a critical year for monitoring bike noise by the SRD. We are all under the microscope and therefore we need to police ourselves before someone else does it for us. As off-road motorcyclists we need to respect the fact that not everyone shares in our passion for the sport...loud bikes are going to shut down riding areas PERIOD.

Thats great Rob that you use some comon courtesy with riding at your place. Unfortunately I dont think the bike noise coming from a track will be viewed with the same scrutiny as firing up the lawn mower at 8AM. Don't get me wrong when someone starts mowing there lawn on a Saturday morning at 8AM I am not exactly a happy camper either.

:cheers:

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Post by Kwi-Chang »

Understanding Riverside County:

The deal with Riverside and other inland counties in SoCal is that there are very expensive acreages scattered throughout the area where people have spent big bucks to get away from the noise & hustle of the cities. They don't want their quiet privacy invaded by any type of loudness. Those counties are MX central of the world - most of the Pro riders (MX, SX, Offroad) have homes there and most of them have private tracks on their property. It used to be out in the middle of nowhere but not anymore.

Big noise is big trouble for us. If not now it soon will be. Koocanusa is going to be one of the next problem areas.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I 100% support his fight just the problem is the non riders need to see the other side a little more
I guarantee you that McGrath would have done things differently in the earlier years if would have known that it would come to this. If he could have kept his neighbors from being annoyed, this wouldn't have happened.

All the other noise is irrelevent. Cows, trucks or lawn mowers are outside our cause. Offroad motorcycles are our focus. Pointing fingers at the other noise makers will do nothing to help our cause. Keeping our bikes quiet and respecting the land will help our cause.

Can we keep our neighbors from being annoyed? We have to look at the big picture. Our neighbors in this context are every non-rider in the province and in some cases even beyond this province.

"If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem", My old boss. :D

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Post by Kwi-Chang »

Just watch any of the Crusty Demons or other freestyle/mx videos and you can see why dirtbikers have a bad reputation... :crazy:

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by DirtGirl »

Kwi-Chang wrote:Understanding Riverside County:

The deal with Riverside and other inland counties in SoCal is that there are very expensive acreages scattered throughout the area where people have spent big bucks to get away from the noise & hustle of the cities. They don't want their quiet privacy invaded by any type of loudness. Those counties are MX central of the world - most of the Pro riders (MX, SX, Offroad) have homes there and most of them have private tracks on their property. It used to be out in the middle of nowhere but not anymore.

Big noise is big trouble for us. If not now it soon will be. Koocanusa is going to be one of the next problem areas.
Maybe they should have checked out who their neighbors were before they bought one of those expensive acreages!

Sometimes it does not matter how hard you try to be quiet when out riding, like coming across campsites on the trail. For example, about 8yrs ago on the MayLong we were at Black Rock. We took a couple of begginner riders out on a nice easy trail near camp. As soon as I saw the camper I slowed everyone (3riders) down and we veered off the trail as much as we could without going off the cliff and just putted past them.
I tried to acknowledge that they were there and sorry for the intrusiion, bla bla.

Well the begginner had his chain slip off the sprocket so we were trying to get it back on and buddy starts shooting at us!!!!!! some people just can't or won't get along!!!!
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

srpiasta wrote:I'm not a stick in the mud but you don't see me complaining about the combines, trucks, tractors and grain elevators running all night long in our hamlet or the trucks that crank on the jakes at 2 in the morning to go to the elevator. :banghead: I think sound is importaint but I think the non rider whines a little too much, :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: You never hear the non rider cmplain about the dog barking or the cows mooing or the trucks because that is there bread and butter. Well sombody like Mcgrath gets his bread a little differnt the the average person. I 100% support his fight just the problem is the non riders need to see the other side a little more

Just some more rant.

On another note, thinking of riding this weekend at the south pit? Anyone interested?

Rob
:cheers: :cheers:
Believe it or not the "new locals" (all the acreage people that are moving out to the city for their little piece of country) are complaining about the tractors, combines and the cows. My family and many friends farm South of Calgary and I have been personally pulled over by the RCMP while in a field baling straw at 3:00am because my noise and lights were disturbing the acreage people trying to sleep. I have also been approached by the RCMP while checking cows with a friend at 12:00 at night because someone complained our high powered spot lights were flashing across their windows and disturbing them. The MD of Foothills was approached to pass a bylaw restricting the hours of farm equipment working. It is hitting the agriculture sector too.

I also work for an oil and gas company that drills plenty of gas wells within 90 miles of Calgary and in some extremely sensitive areas and I am more familiar with noise/dust complaints than I ever wanted to be. I have had to put people up in hotels (due to noise complaints from over a mile away) just so the Energy Board will continue to let my rig finish drilling a hole it had already started. I can't even begin to count the $$$ I have approved on noise suppression equipment on facilties and wells just to be able to continue to produce gas or oil from a field where the government sold me the minerals rights and provide me with the legislation to produce them.

It is not just us (the motorcycle community) that is facing the opposition of the general public, it is everyone that has the potential to impact someone elses right to private enjoyment. whatever their description of private enjoyment is?

It doesn't matter if you are on the trail meeting hikers or peeling away from the Tim Horton's in Cochrane with your bikes loaded into the back of the truck and your tunes thumping away, we all need to make the effort to reduce our impact on the private enjoyment of others. We all need to make an effort at educating the rest of the riders that are out there and don't belong to clubs like ours.

I know I am doing my part by buying a membership in this organization and spending my hard earned money on a new silencer that has a spark arrestor and meets the 96 decibel requirement for this years race season.

buggo
Writer
Writer

Post by buggo »

It is not just us (the motorcycle community) that is facing the opposition of the general public, it is everyone that has the potential to impact someone elses right to private enjoyment. whatever their description of private enjoyment is?

It doesn't matter if you are on the trail meeting hikers or peeling away from the Tim Horton's in Cochrane with your bikes loaded into the back of the truck and your tunes thumping away, we all need to make the effort to reduce our impact on the private enjoyment of others. We all need to make an effort at educating the rest of the riders that are out there and don't belong to clubs like ours.
I know I am doing my part by buying a membership in this organization and spending my hard earned money on a new silencer that has a spark arrestor and meets the 96 decibel requirement for this years race season.
:applause:
Very well put.
My old man would boot me in the arse if I did not show respect to my fellow man.
Could it be that simple?
:dblthumb:
Paul B.
08 250 XC We
Kona
Specialized Enduro Pro

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Well put Mike! I keep hearing from guys that don't want to put a S/A on their bike because power might suffer. What would you rather have, a slightly detuned bike and a place to ride or a loud powerful bike and no place to ride!
Claude
Claude

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Post by Kwi-Chang »

Dobi wrote:
Believe it or not the "new locals" (all the acreage people that are moving out to the city for their little piece of country) are complaining about the tractors, combines and the cows. My family and many friends farm South of Calgary and I have been personally pulled over by the RCMP while in a field baling straw at 3:00am because my noise and lights were disturbing the acreage people trying to sleep. I have also been approached by the RCMP while checking cows with a friend at 12:00 at night because someone complained our high powered spot lights were flashing across their windows and disturbing them. The MD of Foothills was approached to pass a bylaw restricting the hours of farm equipment working. It is hitting the agriculture sector too.
I live in the MD of Foothills and have been here on & off for 30 years. We had some neighbors move in a couple years ago who were city folk and they complained about the crows, a donkey and the coyotes being too noisy! They ended up putting roll shutters over the windows to keep the noise out...