Before / After Pictures

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Before / After Pictures

Post by Shibby! »

Sadly this year I'm without a motorcycle, however all I've been hearing is how bad Mclean and Wiaprous are suffering from the logging.

I'd like all those to look at old pictures they have, then go out and get an "after" picture using the exact same vantage point and composition. I won't have time for July 1st, but I would like to compile a list of pictures and send them to a few newspapers in hopes it gets published prior to a long weekend. I doubt there's a chance, but you never know.

If people could help me out that would be great!

If those think it shouldn't be done, let me know. It just angers me to see the destruction caused in these areas without the public knowing about it. Isn't that ironic?

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Before / After Pictures

Post by Hendrix13 »

Although it's sad to see our trails destroyed, we've gotten more support trying to work with SLS to help preserve our trails when cutting an area. They've also been helping us out by sharing with us their logging plans (25 years out) so we can start to design trails that will never get logged.
This section of forest is a working forest. We hunt, recreate, and harvest there. If it was a protected forest we'd never be able to ride there. So careful what you wish for.

Unless you're house is made of concrete, you may be a hypocrite :thinking:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

The fact is McLean is a multiuse area and SLS has as much right to do their thing as we do. As long as they follow the rules we shouldn't expect more. Although some of our trails are not the same, SLS appears to have tried to keep the trails alive. As Hendrix said, we are getting some results by trying to work with them.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

Although I haven't been up on Barwell area this year, there was an awful lot of positive feedback from other members for SLS at the last club meeting in June. SLS is reported to have done their level best to protect our trails up in that area and many riders had very positive things to say about it.

Apparently the Fisher Frolic trail wasn't quite so well protected but every failure is an opportunity for improvement. On that one, apparently we neglected to flag it properly so we're part of the solution. As the guys have noted, we ought to do our best to sustain our relationship with the SLS instead of put pressure the other way. Like us, the SLS doesn't have so many friends to throw them away willy nilly.

My two cents.

Aaron

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

350scott wrote:The fact is McLean is a multiuse area and SLS has as much right to do their thing as we do. As long as they follow the rules we shouldn't expect more. Although some of our trails are not the same, SLS appears to have tried to keep the trails alive. As Hendrix said, we are getting some results by trying to work with them.
Well said.

Turning this into yet another pit one user against another gets you further behind :thumbsdown:

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

I understand your frustration Shibby, but like others have mentioned SLS has really gone out of their way to help us over the years & doesn't want to see us loose any trails.
I really like your idea with a before/after pics, but maybe we could submit it as something like a natural MC creek crossing, then an after pic of when we've installed a bridge. Police & Fire games muskeg mats would be another good one.
As far as loosing trails like Fisher Frolic, that is not a designated trail. SLS is supposed to have GPS tracks of the designated single track trails & they have to keep those open which they are. Prior to the designated trail system I had worked closely with SLS from the late 1990's up until 2008ish when it went to DTS. In that time SLS would provide me with a map of their logging plans for the upcoming winter.I would then figure out where we had single track & then hang white ribbon. SLS would save the trail through the cutblock, alter their cutblock bounding or top cut the trees through the cut block to leave us with the best possible trail.This worked great for the 10 years I worked with them as I believe they saved every trail we had white ribboned.
Maybe something could be worked out with SLS & SRD that we start white ribboning non designated trails under the possibilty that we could add some of these as a future legal trail and/or event/race trail. I know Dobi & others have been working with SLS to further are great relationship we have with them. :cheers:

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

I am a big supporter of SLS, I send them roughly $200,000 every year for the houses I build for my clients. I have also worked with staff at SLS on locating and white ribboning our trails and have found them very helpful just like Trailguy mentioned. SLS have been huge supporters/sponsors in their local areas, great to see that.

But...I do have to ask one question as I do not understand the cleanup end of logging...why does the Kook area get cleaned right up into burn piles (and then burnt off) after they are done so that what remains is like a back tilled dirt carpet? and then Mclean looks like half the trees end up on the ground? Just curious. In Kooc, they also leave a certain amount of trees standing to give it a somewhat bush look or maybe the left over trees just are not worth harvesting, but at least they don't just get pushed to the ground. There must be some good reasons.

Back in the 90's, the cleanup was much different in Mclean, there was hardly anything left over on the ground and the cut block was replanted very quickly. What was logged back in 98 has good 14' plus tall trees already...especially with the spring rains we have been getting recently. What was logged in 2004 is still a pile of trees laying all over the place with not even the new trees planted??? I really enjoy seeing the quick turn around, I would think that the logging companies would too.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

JohnE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JohnE »

Brent wrote:But...I do have to ask one question as I do not understand the cleanup end of logging...why does the Kook area get cleaned right up into burn piles (and then burnt off) after they are done so that what remains is like a back tilled dirt carpet? and then Mclean looks like half the trees end up on the ground? Just curious. In Kooc, they also leave a certain amount of trees standing to give it a somewhat bush look or maybe the left over trees just are not worth harvesting, but at least they don't just get pushed to the ground. There must be some good reasons.
I would be curious to know more about their forest management practices and the reasons they do what they do in Maclean (e.g. scarification vs. planting, buffers, length of rotation, size, shape and spacing of cutblocks, different approaches to different specires, etc.). Wonder if they would ever give a presentation to the club, in a non-confrontational atmosphere where learning is the goal?

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

JohnE wrote:
Brent wrote:But...I do have to ask one question as I do not understand the cleanup end of logging...why does the Kook area get cleaned right up into burn piles (and then burnt off) after they are done so that what remains is like a back tilled dirt carpet? and then Mclean looks like half the trees end up on the ground? Just curious. In Kooc, they also leave a certain amount of trees standing to give it a somewhat bush look or maybe the left over trees just are not worth harvesting, but at least they don't just get pushed to the ground. There must be some good reasons.
I would be curious to know more about their forest management practices and the reasons they do what they do in Maclean (e.g. scarification vs. planting, buffers, length of rotation, size, shape and spacing of cutblocks, different approaches to different specires, etc.). Wonder if they would ever give a presentation to the club, in a non-confrontational atmosphere where learning is the goal?
That is a good idea on an info night session. :thumbsup:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Nashole
User
User

Post by Nashole »

This is just an awesome topic.

When I first heard that SRD and logging companies DO work with the RMDRA to keep trails open, I was very impressed. I would attend a presentation if they would put one on for us. I'll do a presentation for them as well if it will help. hahaha.

Nashole
User
User

Post by Nashole »

Hendrix13 wrote:Although it's sad to see our trails destroyed, we've gotten more support trying to work with SLS to help preserve our trails when cutting an area. They've also been helping us out by sharing with us their logging plans (25 years out) so we can start to design trails that will never get logged.
This section of forest is a working forest. We hunt, recreate, and harvest there. If it was a protected forest we'd never be able to ride there. So careful what you wish for.

Unless you're house is made of concrete, you may be a hypocrite :thinking:

I'm a trail builder, how can I get some maps of cut blocks? I've been using out dated sattellite imagery, and purchasing images from Air Photos Alberta and georeferencing them. This is not efficient.

If anybody has cut block maps of the north end of FT, I'd really appreciate even a photo of the map. I can georeference it in ArcMap.

Any help would be appreciated.