Shut down McLean, say enviro-kids

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Shut down McLean, say enviro-kids

Post by Zook »

Here we go again. Slow news day in spring.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alber ... story.html
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e
Me and tools have an understanding: If I don't use them, they don't break my stuff.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Shut down McLean, say enviro-kids

Post by Spinalguy »

Great journalism :lol:
Anyways, at least the comments being left are positive.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

calltrex
Writer
Writer

Post by calltrex »

but its ok to clearcut all the mountains

clamacious
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by clamacious »

Pretty pathetic analysis IMO. One heavy thunderstorm episode causes a million times more turbidity in the McLean Creek drainage than any amount of atv mudbogging. Not that I'm in favour or folks chewing up the muskeg, mind you.

Anyway, this "study" is a monument to ignorance but consider the era we live in.... :banghead:

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

if those kids want to do something good for the environment they should start by getting their parents to stop dropping them off at prep school with their gas guzzling suv's and and then have them head straight to good will and hand over their leather jackets and driving gloves too. I am sooooo tired of this. :thumbsdown:

kawasakijockey
Writer
Writer

Post by kawasakijockey »

actually find nothing wrong with this acticle what so ever. its about responsible land use. ive taught my own kids about these exact issues. riding through river beds and stream beds riding off trails issues such as these as well as others including sharing lands with other users such as horse riders and what to do when encountering them. staying off mountain bike trails. like i said its about responsible land use making a lasting sport with a new group of riders that understand at a young age the effects thier own footprint have on any and all areas they encounter from campsite clean up to fires to wildlife to trees and wild flowers and trail use. just my opinion tho... :canada:

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Good points.

Almost all the watershed issues can be resolved by:
- Good Trail Design
- Bridges
- Riparian Matting

The Police and fire games trail is a great example of how we can cross both a stream and muskeg with - zero - impact.

What we really need is more support from the government. I think us Bike guys have it easy. We can put in a bridge relatively easy and inexpensively. The quad and 4x4 guys need much more expensive infrastructure and planning.

Unfortunately it gives us all a bad name. Especially when the designated trail IS through a mud bog or stream.

It's not realistic to depend 100% on volunteer efforts and donations to build infrastructure in a public area.

We've shown it can be done with the right infrastructure and education, now it's time for the AB Gov to step up and support us!
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

kawasakijockey wrote:actually find nothing wrong with this acticle what so ever. its about responsible land use. ive taught my own kids about these exact issues. riding through river beds and stream beds riding off trails issues such as these as well as others including sharing lands with other users such as horse riders and what to do when encountering them. staying off mountain bike trails. like i said its about responsible land use making a lasting sport with a new group of riders that understand at a young age the effects thier own footprint have on any and all areas they encounter from campsite clean up to fires to wildlife to trees and wild flowers and trail use. just my opinion tho... :canada:
Nothing wrong whatsoever?
Really?
You think its a good idea to train/teach/brainwash young kids to believe that the water in Calgary is solely affected by ATV's and bikes riding on anything than a dry rocky surface?
Do you think it was good journalism to let all Calgarians in on the 'truth' created by this article that they are drinking MUD because of offroad activity in Maclean?
Do you think the kids are aware that each May Long has produced more and more responsible use?
Do you think the kids learned that the 4x4 community goes out every year to clean up after May Long, and every year there is less and less to do because of the overwhelming responsibility being shown?
Do you think this article will cause the kids and parents to look at the Bow and Elbow Rivers today in Calgary and think the muddy looking water is due to offroad activities in Maclean?

It is a very biased and irresponsible piece of journalism. It also does border on brainwashing a young generation into believing that any offroading activity is evil.
Quoting one student...
Miranda and her classmates are now lobbying the province to stop all driving through riparian areas and wetlands. They are also recommending that mud bogging — plowing vehicles through a mud pit to get as dirty as possible — be prohibited on all public land.

These laws are already in effect. Riparian zones have been a no go for over a decade. As to mudbogging. As long as the mudbog is not in a riparian zone and not next to a waterway, why should it be banned? What science is there that the kids know and we do not. Its one thing for kids to learn about the effect of irresponsible use but to take it a step further and have the kids come away with any mud on a bike, atv or 4x4 after a day of fun MEANS that they were being irresponsible and causing Calgarians to drink muddy water is a horrible education for kids.
Did the kids talk to any of the leaders of the offroading communities?
Are they aware of everything that RMDRA, CJA and AOHVA has done to make trails more enviro friendly?
Did the kids talk to the authorities to get their perspective on why enforcement lacks?
This was a one sided piece of journalism that really leads down a path of closure. Just like the blanket closure of Indian Graves to 4x4's that was never needed, this article will stoke up the fires for more closures when what we really need is more openings.
IF the kids had any clue that the Government blanket closed Waiporous to bikes and 4x4's and IG to 4x4's, than maybe they might begin to understand the bigger picture of what is truly wrong with Maclean...increased traffic!
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Actually spinalguy (and everyone else) your beef is with these two:

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.asp ... =25&leg=28

Mr. Rick Fraser (PC)
calgary.southeast@assembly.ab.ca

MLA for Calgary-South East

Legislature Office
350 Legislature Annex
9718 107 Street
Edmonton, AB
Canada T5K 1E4
Phone: (780) 415-0760
Fax: (780) 643-9141

AND

Sarah McGinnis, Calgary Herald
smcginnis@calgaryherald.com

If you have the time to complain, at least have it make a differance :canada:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Betty
User
User

Post by Betty »

Angry emails sent.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Betty wrote:Angry emails sent.
Are you just angry because you ran out of gas last night? :cheers:
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

:applause:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Betty
User
User

Post by Betty »

I'm not so much angry about last night, just very very sore :crybaby:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

:applause: :applause:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

anybody want to approach the school about coming in and giving a talk on responsible OHV use, sustainable trails and the clubs that are working hard to bring this all to a reality? I would come in and talk, but don't have the time to take the lead on making contact and building a power point presentation.

I will find the time to send an email to the reporter and the MLA