Shut down McLean, say enviro-kids

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Shut down McLean, say enviro-kids

Post by Spinalguy »

Dobi wrote:anybody want to approach the school about coming in and giving a talk on responsible OHV use, sustainable trails and the clubs that are working hard to bring this all to a reality? I would come in and talk, but don't have the time to take the lead on making contact and building a power point presentation.

I will find the time to send an email to the reporter and the MLA
i really would like to do it but the school year is almost done and i just do not see the logisitics of doing this properly in a very short window of time.
Less then 2 weeks of school left.

My beef is that when i was a kid given a school project, we explored both sides of the issue. This is very one sided. We would love to build fancy bridges, etc but SRD can not afford it. i see nowhere in the article where the brutal realiy of keeping things enviro friendly is not cost effective and thus the article will just propogate more closures.

It just stinks that they now use KIDS to tug at the hearts of Calgarians. Low tactics indeed.

On the 23rd in Fish Creek is a HUGE Watershed information party. i see it advertised in many businesses in the South.
http://www.friendsoffishcreek.org/conte ... gory/1/26/

kawasawkijockey, i am sure that your education to your kids is balanced :thumbsup: . i think it is fantastic that you take the time to educate them. My fear is that articles like the one published in the Herald and online at canada.com will cause a future that will keep your kids ATV activities relegated to a video game. We have some bitter memories in Alberta over the last decade and this article using KIDS just rubs me wrong.
:sigh:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

JohnE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JohnE »

I agree it would be difficult to develop a presentation and schedule time before the end of the school year.

I would be up to help develop a presentation to be used next fall and also to help present it.

I think this article and perhaps the work behind it is very one sided and the political response of the MLA smacks of a knee jerk reaction. I doubt there is any convincing evidence that TSS levels are materially elevated in the Elbow River because of off highway use in the Mclean Creek area (although Im happy to be corrected if I am wrong) and suspect the real elevation in TSS levels occurs naturally during run off; nor do I think there is widespread damage to ripraian areas along creeks - a responsible newspaper reporter should have taken steps to determine whether any material problems have been identified in this areas, outside of a student project displaying mud bog pictures. If there are specific areas identified where damage has occurred to a riprian area that could affect a non-intermittant drainage then perhaps these areas should be identified and steps taken to make them sustainable. I am sure recreational users would come out and volunteer in that work.

porschev
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by porschev »

sent the reporter a nice email (really - I swear) and got a great response back, I asked if she was interested in learning about all the hard work being done and she said she was. She has asked her editor about doing a piece on it and she is waiting to her back from him, she is also going to keep our RMDRA information on record for any future articles or comments.

However I’m not holding my breath on any interest in us other than maybe comments in the future on some report on damage.

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

porschev wrote:sent the reporter a nice email (really - I swear) and got a great response back, I asked if she was interested in learning about all the hard work being done and she said she was. She has asked her editor about doing a piece on it and she is waiting to her back from him, she is also going to keep our RMDRA information on record for any future articles or comments.

However I’m not holding my breath on any interest in us other than maybe comments in the future on some report on damage.

Nice work :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "