Go Pro and others support closure to OHV's...

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Go Pro and others support closure to OHV's...

Post by Spinalguy »

A very good read and a very good reason to boycott the companies that support OIA.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=429194
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Go Pro and others support closure to OHV's...

Post by Shibby! »

Hi *****,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your concern. The Outdoor Industry Association (OIA) provides its members with valuable resources like outdoor industry trends, annual reports, demographics, statistics and industry conference support. Spot LLC is not involved in what they support and often is not aware of all their initiatives. In no way do we oppose any type of recreation. What types of sports are you referring to?

We appreciate your concern and are open to the feedback.

Sincerely,

Joe App
Marketing Manager
Globalstar and Spot LLC
findmeSPOT.com
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Shibby, i have a feeling that Spot does not understand the scope of what OIA stands for. Now Spot is a great device that probably caters more to the non motorized sports.

Here is some OIA highlights...
OIA was in the news a while back as SUPPORTING HR 1925.

'The Chairman of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands of the U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources has scheduled a hearing on October 1 to consider H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009.

This legislation -- which will ban off-highway vehicle (OHV) access to public lands to those who live and recreate in
Utah -- was introduced by New York Representative Maurice Hinchey.

However, not a single Representative from Utah is supporting H.R.1925.

Specifically, H.R. 1925 would designate more than nine million more acres as federally protected "Wilderness," and directly affect the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock areas (to name a few) in Utah.

These popular OHV areas represent some of the most important remaining OHV recreation areas in Utah, and are some of the most popular with responsible OHV riders. The proposed Wilderness designation would also make the land off limits to ATV riders, mountain bikers and horseback
riders.

And now OIA is opposing HR 1581. In a nutshell HR1581 is:

There are lands that were set aside as "could POSSIBLY be wilderness" So they were "protected" until they could figure out if they were wilderness areas or not. Well...they never turned into wilderness, so HR 1581 would open them back up to wheeled motorized access. Instead...they are just sitting in limbo as "fake wilderness"

Now OIA, who represents a TON of companies we use (Cabellas, GoPRO etc.) are telling OUR GOVERNMENT that HR 1581 should not pass.

GoPro et al needs to be HAMMERED on this. Remind them of OIA and HR 1925.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

To put it into perspective, it would be like GoPro , Spot et al joining AWA (Alberta Wilderness Association). We as an OHV community would not be pleased and the only way GoPro et al will listen, is when their major source of revenue (us) stops buying their product.;)

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Spinalguy wrote:To put it into perspective, it would be like GoPro , Spot et al joining AWA (Alberta Wilderness Association). We as an OHV community would not be pleased and the only way GoPro et al will listen, is when their major source of revenue (us) stops buying their product.;)
I'm happy I have a ContourHD =)

I told Spot that I wasn't happy about this decision and contemplating cancelling my subscription. Plenty of their users are motorized. I would say a good portion are. I called them out on the snowmobile picture on their main page.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Shibby! wrote:
Spinalguy wrote:To put it into perspective, it would be like GoPro , Spot et al joining AWA (Alberta Wilderness Association). We as an OHV community would not be pleased and the only way GoPro et al will listen, is when their major source of revenue (us) stops buying their product.;)
I'm happy I have a ContourHD =)

I told Spot that I wasn't happy about this decision and contemplating cancelling my subscription. Plenty of their users are motorized. I would say a good portion are. I called them out on the snowmobile picture on their main page.
Good for you. Obviously many have the GoPro now but this is more about anyone contemplating getting one. i prefer the Contour myself. And i was going to get a SPOT but i think i will pass for now.