ASRD survey - proposed changes to the Public Lands Act

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

ASRD survey - proposed changes to the Public Lands Act

Post by WRocks »

IMPORTANT!!!
Read the items below and go to the following link: http://www.srd.alberta.ca/Newsroom/SRDS ... fault.aspx
It is very important that as many of our members as possible fill out and submit this survey.
ASRD is proposing some major changes to the Public Lands Act, some are warranted and probably over due, some may go too far.
After completing the survey, it seems that OHV's are being singled out in some of the questions, so am concernd about the intent of the survey and it biases. We need to voice that concern.

Key items you may want to mention:
1) Additional enforcement officers are needed, not just additional restrictions that could be used to mitigate the need for additional staff.
2) Comment Deleted...
3) Opportunities for OHV recreation in Alberta need to be embraced, as it is a growing industry and is important to the Alberta economy.
4) Do not shrink or close our riding areas.
5) Other suggestions...?

August 5, 2010
Province seeks input on proposed regulation changes
Updated regulation a better tool to deal with abuse of public land
Edmonton... Albertans are asked for their input into proposed regulation changes being made to strengthen the management of public lands.
The changes under the Public Lands Act will allow the Alberta government to better manage general access to vacant public land, allow for stronger compliance and enforcement, and provide for appeals to ensure fairness and consistency in decision-making.
The changes provide the government with more ability to deal with the offenders who abuse public land. For example, government may be able to temporarily close an area to prevent loss or damage to public land from off-highway vehicle riders who drive through sensitive wet areas.
Public consultation is a key step in the process to develop the new regulations. Albertans are invited to complete an online survey regarding the proposed regulation changes at http://www.srd.alberta.ca/Newsroom/SRDS ... fault.aspx or mail in a completed survey to:
Legislative Services Unit, Sustainable Resource Development
2nd Floor South Petroleum Plaza
9915-108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
T5K 2G8
Feedback must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. on September 17, 2010, to allow time to evaluate the submissions. Public comments will be reviewed and considered as the regulations are develope
Media inquiries may be directed to:
Kathy Kiel
Communications
Sustainable Resource Development
780-427-8636
kathy.kiel@gov.ab.ca
To call toll-free within Alberta dial 310-0000
Last edited by WRocks on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: ASRD survey - proposed changes to the Public Lands Act

Post by cladoo »

Done!
Claude

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

WRocks, please be careful when pushing the OHV regirstration levy concept. I for one do not want it for may reasons. In an ideal world it's probably a good idea, but don't forget we are dealing with the government here and once they get there meat hooks onto additional cash they'll get excited an LIKELY forget where/why this windfall came to fruition to begin with.

Keep all the good work you've been doing we all appreciate it!

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

WRocks wrote:IMPORTANT!!!

After completing the survey, it seems that OHV's are being singled out in some of the questions, so am concernd about the intent of the survey and it biases. We need to voice that concern.
Unfortunately this is an understatement here. This survey focuses on OHV and OHV related activities cuch as random camping, open fires, TFA's for races or 'rallies' as they call them.

WE NEED SOME POSITIVE COMMENTS HERE, OR THE 'ROSEMARRY'S' (from the Calgary Herald article) ARE GONNA STORM THIS SURVEY AND MAKE US LOOK LIKE WE ARE ALL A BUNCH OF DRUNKEN RAGING IDIOTS. FILL OUT THE SURVEY!!!!

Thanks for posting WRocks!

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

steve-o wrote:WRocks, please be careful when pushing the OHV regirstration levy concept. I for one do not want it for may reasons. In an ideal world it's probably a good idea, but don't forget we are dealing with the government here and once they get there meat hooks onto additional cash they'll get excited an LIKELY forget where/why this windfall came to fruition to begin with.
Steve-o
As noted on registration levy (if you support it) if not that's fine. I don't want to debate this in the forum, but I will say is the levy funds would go directly to the DAO (governemnt doesn't take antything). I'm happy to give you (or anyone) an update on what's going on with the AOHVA/DAO off line.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i also caution all of you to NOT point fingers at any other Motorized user group. It does not benefit anyone. There have been good stuff posted in the past regarding the way USA areas have full support of eachother. :thumbsup:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6094
If there is a OHV registration levy, how do we collect it from Ranchers, Farmers, street legal 4x4's? :confused:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Those were very twisted and confusing questions. It was tough to determine the background information and the real meaning of the questions. :confused:

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

dirtyboy wrote:Those were very twisted and confusing questions. It was tough to determine the background information and the real meaning of the questions. :confused:
Totally agree... it sure does have a very heavy spin towards OHV and their impact.

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

As noted in my previous post, if you want information about a proposed registration levy (or other AOHVA provincial initiatives) talk to me directly. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have in person or by phone 403-710-5988. At the request of several RMDRA members and executive, it has been agreed by the RMDRA executive team that AOHVA initiatives are not to be debated on the forum or at member meetings. I have removed my comment about the registration levy from my original post.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Wow, that survey is heavily biased against OHV use.
i had many i don't know answers for fear that any other answer would further restrict or penalize OHV users.
The public is being led down a path that will spell out bad news for us. :thumbsdown:

Aaron, i just wondered, as i wanted to include some commentary and i thought your vast knowledge of that could help me and us :thumbsup:
No worries. Thanks for your efforts. :)
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Waxy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Waxy »

That survey is BAD NEWS.

I'm surprised the last question wasn't -

All OHV users are -

A. Drunken fools hell bent on destruction
B. Pedophiles
C. Mass murderers

There is no good way for an OHV user to fill in the survey, every question is leading, biased and potentially loaded with consequences. IMHO they are purposely designed to get the OHV users to vote for their own demise based by appealing to their desire to protect and preserve, and then using that against them to shut down vast areas based on the broad and generic criteria presented in the survey.

I can't in good faith respond to that survey.

Waxy
'07 KTM 400 XCW Dual Sported
2016 Warrior V208/Mercury 350 Verado

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Calgary Herald
Better care of public lands proposed
All-terrain vehicle users feel targeted

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/Bet ... story.html
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Hendrix13 wrote:Calgary Herald
Better care of public lands proposed
All-terrain vehicle users feel targeted

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/Bet ... story.html
and wait for the "Rosemarys" out there to start the ink war.

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

I filled out the survey in a fashion I hope is beneficial to our club and our sport. But it wasn't easy. I had to read and re-read several of the questions to figure out just what was being said between the lines. But I refused to answer "don't know" on any of them. I wasn't going to let them off that easy. :thinking:
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e
Me and tools have an understanding: If I don't use them, they don't break my stuff.