Alberta designates grizzly bears a threatened species

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Alberta designates grizzly bears a threatened species

Post by Spinalguy »

What we have always done, continue to be good stewards of the land and hope the current Minister is aware of reality vs perception. :excuse:

i would imagine the oil/gas boys will be defending their access heavily. Hopefully, they win.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

JohnE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JohnE »

I had a front row seat on the pulp mill expansion issues in the late '80s/early '90s, where even some reputable scientists (I don't need to name names on this post) pushed questionable science if you ask me, and while a cynic might say the government sawed it off between the environmentalists and industry, it seemed to me the chlorinated organics and surface water standards applicable to those mills, as well as the best available technology standards imposed on them, looked reasonable and not onerous to industry. The environmentalists continue to hammer all they can, and I'm sure the oil and gas guys do too. I'm new to this, but I guess the recreationalists need to keep doing the same to the extent they can.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

I guess it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease :smirk:

You're right though SpinalGuy, being good stewards does make a huge difference. Look at the changes we seen in McLean.

Also, getting out there, volunteering and riding makes a big difference. People need to know that we are serious about keeping our riding access in these area's :thumbsup:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

"Yukon to Yellowstone" will be pushing immediately for no OHV access to Grizzly habitat, I'm sure. Maybe not under that name, but they'll be pulling someone's strings. They want no motorized access to the whole corridor from the Yukon to Yellowstone park.
Mark Williams
2016 500EXC

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

LID wrote:"Yukon to Yellowstone" will be pushing immediately for no OHV access to Grizzly habitat, I'm sure. Maybe not under that name, but they'll be pulling someone's strings. They want no motorized access to the whole corridor from the Yukon to Yellowstone park.
Thankfully, due largely to turf issues and optics, my guess is Alberta gov't won't be eager to appear to be getting tasked by a special-interest group with U.S. influence. It amazes me they can clamour for "no motorized" while the chainsaws hum and the clearcuts continue grow throughout the area they seek to protect.
Still, if they're going to "push," I guess we're going to have to figure out how to "push back."
Given the growing strength and cohesion forming in our sport, I believe we're in a better position than we've ever been to put forth a sound discussion for maintaining our presence in the woods, not the least of which is providing access to these areas that will benefit their researchers with the least amount of "linear disturbances" of any motorized group.
Viewed another way, we could even help them by reporting any traces -- tracks, scat, shredded trees -- or actual grizzly sightings to them. :thinking:
As long as we're at the land-use table -- whichever one and wherever it may be -- as the dedicated segment of motorized we represent, we'll be OK.
We've got solid answers, and proof, for all their questions and concerns. :thumbsup:
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e
Me and tools have an understanding: If I don't use them, they don't break my stuff.