License Plates

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
diabolus42
Contributor
Contributor

License Plates

Post by diabolus42 »

I was at McLean Creek yesterday, and was told by the RCMP and SRD that license plates cannot be installed on the front wheel (they did not make me take my plate off my front wheel at the time, but the SRD took a photo of my plate as a record for “what not to do”).

Nor can license plates be placed on the back of a camelback / backpack, as SRD previously told me when biking at Indian Graves a month ago.

Yesterday we were checked on two separate occasions for insurance & registration – both times in the main staging areas by the campground, so you can expect more of the same in the future.

UPDATE - July 18, 2010:

On separate occassions, SRD officers have told me it's ok to install a plate on the exhaust pipe. You can bend the plate around the pipe and use metal zip ties to attach it to the pipe. It's low profile and (I think) looks better than installing it on your number plate or rear fender.

See photo below....
Attachments
License plate attached to exhaust pipe
License plate attached to exhaust pipe
Last edited by diabolus42 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

ChevMack
Contributor
Contributor

Re: License Plates

Post by ChevMack »

can you show me a pic of " the front wheel " ? i dont understand what you mean. thanks!
2006 WR450F
+300 pound club = big kahunas

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

heres one.

BTW that was one SWEET RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Post by KanadianIceMan »

You met the happypants of SRD, they just like being jerks for no reason. Next time ask them to show you in the Regulations why just to be a jerk back :D

However they are correct.
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=2 ... 077972013X

Section 18- 3
The owner of an off-highway vehicle must attach the licence
plate issued under subsection (1) securely to the front or rear of the
off-highway vehicle so that the licence plate is clearly visible.

Additionally

Condition of plates
19 No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the licence
plate is not securely attached, legible and clearly visible to other
drivers at all times.

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Wouldn't it be nice if we actually got something back for the fees we pay to register OHV's?

I get PO'd everytime I drive past the equestrian campground on my way to South Fisher, they installed all new stables and facilties, yet we have to pay $20/night to camp in a gravel parking lot...
I haven't seen a license plate on a horses bum...lol
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

justinKX
Journalist
Journalist

Post by justinKX »

WRocks wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if we actually got something back for the fees we pay to register OHV's?

I get PO'd everytime I drive past the equestrian campground on my way to South Fisher, they installed all new stables and facilties, yet we have to pay $20/night to camp in a gravel parking lot...
good point! how come they dont have to be registered to ride out there!

they stopped me as i was leaving my truck, asked if i had papers, i said i wasnt goin far and that they were in the truck if i had to go back and get em. they said if i leave the area and go on trails to take em with. but didnt seem too bothered. i didnt have lights on my bike either and he asked where they were, i said they too were in the truck. same response about those also.
-Justin
00 kx250
06 crf150f
95 zx9r

diabolus42
Contributor
Contributor

Post by diabolus42 »

justinKX wrote:
they stopped me as i was leaving my truck, asked if i had papers, i said i wasnt goin far and that they were in the truck if i had to go back and get em. they said if i leave the area and go on trails to take em with. but didnt seem too bothered. i didnt have lights on my bike either and he asked where they were, i said they too were in the truck. same response about those also.
were you the guy & girl who gave your helmet to the SRD as "collateral" to go get your papers from your truck, and then took off from McLean Creek without showing your papers, leaving your helmet behind with the SRD guy???????

Nice HJC helmet, but probably not worth the $230 ticket (x2 for both of you) you would have got had you stuck around....!!!!!

But of course, it probably wasn't you - must have been some other guy & girl... :buttkick:
Kevin

justinKX
Journalist
Journalist

Post by justinKX »

diabolus42 wrote:
justinKX wrote:
were you the guy & girl who gave your helmet to the SRD as "collateral" to go get your papers from your truck, and then took off from McLean Creek without showing your papers, leaving your helmet behind with the SRD guy???????

Nice HJC helmet, but probably not worth the $230 ticket (x2 for both of you) you would have got had you stuck around....!!!!!

But of course, it probably wasn't you - must have been some other guy & girl... :buttkick:
HAHAHAHA that was not us! but it is funny! ive got a shift and my gf has a fox! hjc helmets suck!
-Justin
00 kx250
06 crf150f
95 zx9r

Dude
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Dude »

:canada:
Last edited by Dude on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

justinKX wrote:
WRocks wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if we actually got something back for the fees we pay to register OHV's?

good point! how come they dont have to be registered to ride out there!

So, do you and your gf have lights for the bikes? If not, please get them. SRD judges us on a daily basis.
Right now RMDRA is A+ in their eyes for all the hard work initiatives taken over the last 3 years. We have a fantastic relationship with them. We would expect anyone that finds this site to adhere to the laws established for off road use. Having lights, registration, plates and insurance are a requirement. Please take care of these things if you do not have any of the above. If you do, carry the paperwork and put the lights on.
Thanks.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

justinKX
Journalist
Journalist

Post by justinKX »

sorry, street HJC helmets suck, i have no experience with offroad HJC helmets! annnd its just my opinion! sorry!

her bike has a UFO light kit on it, that works off a toggle switch. and i have bycicle lights in my bag, and i dont have them mounted on my bike. my bag was in the truck when i was stopped and asked about them. told him my papers and lights were in the truck and started to go back to 50 feet to get em and he said nah dont worry about it. i can mount the lights on my bike if asked. but he said i was fine havin them just in my bag. they cant be taped on he said, they have to mount up reasonably well. i use velcro for the taillight and the front one wedges in perfectly and i use a zip tie to secure it.
-Justin
00 kx250
06 crf150f
95 zx9r

Dude
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Dude »

:canada:
Last edited by Dude on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

That's an excellent point, Aaron. Considering all the volunteer heavy lifting you, and other club members and ORM riders, do out there you'd think you'd be shown more than a dirt-lot campground for your efforts. And that's besides the fact we pay registration on machines and camp fees as well. Sounds like the "haves" are doing it up at the "have-nots'" expense . . . again.
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e
Me and tools have an understanding: If I don't use them, they don't break my stuff.

justinKX
Journalist
Journalist

Post by justinKX »

Dude wrote:Street HJC helmets don't suck, you suck :thumbsdown: your Shift helmet was made by HJC :blush:
ok HJC helmets are great helmets.
-Justin
00 kx250
06 crf150f
95 zx9r

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

justinKX wrote:[
ok HJC helmets are great helmets.