Mclean OHV use in Winter

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Dragon997
Writer
Writer

Mclean OHV use in Winter

Post by Dragon997 »

What is the issue that 2 wheeled OHV users cant ride in Mclean Creek until May 1 every year?
Last Sunday Mar 7, I was in the North Staging and it was absolutly full, full, full of quads.
I am under the impression that the Snowmobile asscociation has the major say in useage in the winter in Mclean, not sure why.
But are they ok with quads using it but not bikes? NO! according to the conversation I had with a executive from the Alberta Snowmobile Association.
Snowmobiles dont ride in that area, its a Quad and MC area.
Open up the Mclean trails to ALL OHV use year round!
Are you listing SRD?

Johnathan
403-606-0505
09 KTM300XCW
05 CRF250X
08 KLR 650
08 DL1000
TTR125 x2
TTR110 for sale

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Mclean OHV use in Winter

Post by steve-o »

I believe that they are of the opinion that quads are OK becasue of the high flotation type tires they use. Motorcycles have the potential to dig grooves through to base there by doing potential harm to the terrain.

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

Quad tires were "high floatation balloon tires" back when they were 3 wheel ATC's with no suspension. Today's bear claw quad tires can churn things up like a Troy-built roto-tiller.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

The snowmobile assoc is 100% behind opening the trails to bikes.

In Winter, the least 'wear and tear' is done. It should be open to bikes and 4x4's.
Heck, a lot of quads run tires the size of most stock 4x4's :crazy:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

A little history on winter riding in McLean when it was legal to bikes in the 70's & 80's.Back then McLean had tons of snow & the Forestry would groom many of the trails for the many sledders that rode there.A group of us wanted to start winter riding but had to figure out how [no Trellies then & sheet metal screws where useless].The solution was carriage bolts,1/4 x 1 1/4" for the front & 3/8 x 2" for the rear.Mounted to Maico 490 & KTM 500 2t we never lost one race to a sled on packed snow.The roost off the back of these tires was like following a nucular powered ice cube maker :crazy: - it was insane.This also left a deep trench in the trails.With 3 or 4 of these monsters blasting down the trail, it wasn't groomed so well anymore - however this was all legal at the time.Around the early 90's McLean was closed to bikes in the winter. :crybaby: Never heard why but this may have been a contributing facter. :blush: However, the SRD hasn't groomed a winter trail in decades now at McLean.

porschev
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by porschev »

I was wondering what the fine is. Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for this ridiculous restriction?
It would be interesting to see someone challenged it in court.

diabolus42
Contributor
Contributor

Post by diabolus42 »

To answer your question about fines, the following is an excerpt from SRD website. I found this information specifically on the Willow Creek link, but it is likey applicable everywhere.

May 8, 2009
Forest Recreation Regulation (AR 343/79)

Summary of Offence
Specified Penalty

Failing to maintain the land and improvements in a condition satisfactory to a forest officer while using a Forest Land Use Zone
$172.00

Failing to restore the land to a neat and tidy condition prior to vacating a Forest Land Use Zone
$172.00

Operating a motor vehicle within the Willow Creek Forest Land Use Zone, under conditions not permitted by the Regulation
$287.00

Camping within the Willow Creek Forest Land Use Zone where not authorized by signs or notices posted in the Zone or in accordance with the written instructions of a forest officer
$172.00

Starting or maintaining an open fire within the Willow Creek Forest Land Use Zone where not authorized by signs or notices posted in the Zone or in accordance with the written instructions of a forest officer
$575.00

Having a camping accommodation unit within the Willow Creek Forest Land Use Zone for a period exceeding 14 consecutive days without the written consent of a forest officer
$172.00

Failing to keep the land and improvements in a satisfactory condition while using a forest recreation area
$172.00

Failing to restore campsite to a clean and tidy condition while vacating the campsite
$172.00
Kevin

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I know of someone that got this exact ticket this past weekend. $287 and he was on a dualport....

Dragon997
Writer
Writer

Post by Dragon997 »

I believe we are talking about the same individual, this weekend $287 ticket, I told him to fight it. Is there a lawyer listening, who wants to work for free, but lots of reward?
09 KTM300XCW
05 CRF250X
08 KLR 650
08 DL1000
TTR125 x2
TTR110 for sale

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

You can show up in Cochrane for court and get the ticket down to $150. Did it last year.
We got pinched when a buddy broke down right off the road and we didn't take off on him when SRD showed up.

What sucked even more was that while we waited in court, some guy got a fine for only $100 for pulling his car over on a road, getting out his bow, and killing a female deer right in the ditch, out of season.

diabolus42
Contributor
Contributor

Post by diabolus42 »

I was told yesterday by a Park Ranger at Indian Graves that they will be giving tickets to people who don’t have their plates properly attached to the bike. I had mine on the back of my Camelback and that was not acceptable.
Kevin

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Facsimiles of the license plate are not acceptable so no photocopies.

Best places to attach the license plate:
  • above the light on the plastic mask
    on a rear fender tail light extension (If we lived in ON and other places this would be the mandatory location)
    on the rear fender
Edit: Removed the incorrect license plate location.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Dragon997 wrote:I believe we are talking about the same individual, this weekend $287 ticket, I told him to fight it. Is there a lawyer listening, who wants to work for free, but lots of reward?
Pretty Sure we are talking about the same dude from Black Diamiond

diabolus42
Contributor
Contributor

Post by diabolus42 »

dirtyboy wrote:
  • in the front wheel spokes opposite the brake side (I haven't really had a ranger check out this location but I think it might be OK)

Sounds good, but wouldn't that act as a mud trap, or an unwanted "paddle" in your wheels when going through water?
Kevin

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

diabolus42 wrote:
dirtyboy wrote:
  • in the front wheel spokes opposite the brake side (I haven't really had a ranger check out this location but I think it might be OK)

Sounds good, but wouldn't that act as a mud trap, or an unwanted "paddle" in your wheels when going through water?

No.

Also, DB is correct in his assumption. A ranger himself told that the spokes was acceptable to him (last November at McLean)