Mclean OHV use in Winter

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Mclean OHV use in Winter

Post by Rider Eh! »

steve-o wrote:
diabolus42 wrote:
dirtyboy wrote:
Best places to attach the license plate:
  • in the front wheel spokes opposite the brake side (I haven't really had a ranger check out this location but I think it might be OK)

Sounds good, but wouldn't that act as a mud trap, or an unwanted "paddle" in your wheels when going through water?

No.

Also, DB is correct in his assumption. A ranger himself told that the spokes was acceptable to him (last November at McLean)
Does this wear the phosphating off of the spokes due to too much rubbing/motion? Are you using zip ties or safety wire?
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

zip ties done tight and nothing moves.

RiderEH,wearing the phosphate coating off four spokes would be about the lightest use/damagae your bike sees in a season! lol.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Rider Eh! wrote: Does this wear the phosphating off of the spokes due to too much rubbing/motion? Are you using zip ties or safety wire?

Rider Eh, I think you'll find that a liberal application of your favorite shade of pink nail polish on the spoke, under the point of contact with the license plate will provide a buffer that lasts and lasts, and just as importantly it will please everyone who sees it. :D

- from Martha Stewart's, "Tips for Dirtbikers: It Doesn't Have to be Ugly" :smirk:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to apply the nail polish liberally. The spokes are about the only undamaged part of the bike left, so thought I'd keep them tidy.

I've been running the photocopy laminated version for a while with no problems (though I've never been stopped as they usaully just look at it from a glance), but better to be safe.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

crazy2wheeler wrote:
Rider Eh! wrote: Does this wear the phosphating off of the spokes due to too much rubbing/motion? Are you using zip ties or safety wire?

- from Martha Stewart's, "Tips for Dirtbikers: It Doesn't Have to be Ugly" :smirk:

Hahaha. :lol:
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

FlamesFan
Writer
Writer

Post by FlamesFan »

Of all the posts I've seen regarding this and similar things that involve someone of "authority" it seems there is a lot of "he said that he would find such and such acceptable".

To a noob like me, some things like the plate topic have lost me on what the actual rules state so for now I just mount it on the front of my bike. I think it's great that there seems to be some leeway with the rules, and that it hasn't turned into a turkey shoot..... handing out tickets for everything...but on the other hand it's turning these rules into suggestions. It's like a cop saying the speed limit is 50 here but I won't pull anyone over unless they are doing 70.

Another thing to remember is that a lot of people who use OHV areas do not have a copy of the rules. They do not care to obtain a copy of the rules either. Without handing specific tickets out there will be no way to control these guys and they are just going to end up saying "the last guy said it was ok..."

- END RANT -

- Sean

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=2 ... 077972013X

Look at section 18, sub section 3 on the tenth page of this document.

The spokes are at the front of the vehicle and when mounted in them the plate is clearly visable. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Section 19 states - " No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the licence
plate is not securely attached, legible and clearly visible to other
drivers at all times."
I doubt if a plate spinning around and around is clearly visible to others at all times.
Claude

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

cladoo wrote:http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=2 ... 077972013X

Look at section 18, sub section 3 on the tenth page of this document.

The spokes are at the front of the vehicle and when mounted in them the plate is clearly visable. Hope this helps.
Section 19 states - " No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the licence
plate is not securely attached, legible and clearly visible to other
drivers at all times."
I doubt if a plate spinning around and around is clearly visible to others at all times.[/quote]

steve-o: Bazinga!
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by thumper-darryl »

As for winter access to Mclean creek FLUZ. ALL levels of SRD have been sent letters from the Alberta Snowmobile Association in support of year-round use of designated trails for off-road motorcycles in the Mclean Creek FLUZ. So this argument should be off the table in this discussion with SRD.
Darryl Copithorne
President
Alberta Snowmobile Association
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I've edited my original post. I was just trying to help from my experience and not make it more confusing for anyone. I'll keep quiet from now on and let people look up the legislation and interpret it themselves. :thumbsup:

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Just thought I'd add that I've never had anything but a positive experience with SRD people at riding areas, albeit the only place I've ever seen them is at a staging area and generally before heading out.

Perhaps I've been fortunate, but I've always smiled and tried to be helpful/compliant and they have always been nice in return! (ps. I'm not implying anyone whose experience has been different than mine behaved any differently than I).

knock on wood - my experiences will stay the same! :thumbsup:

D.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Bruce
Writer
Writer

Post by Bruce »

My limited SRD experiences have also been quite positive. In March, I didn’t know where to meet the gang to do some bridge work at the south staging area, so I unloaded at MacLean's normal area. Having never been to MacLean in the 'off season', I went to the normal north entrance off 22x. When I got there, I was the only bike in a sea of quads. SRD drove up and asked me if I was with RMDRA (I didn't have any stickers on my new bike yet so I was impressed that he knew of the club). When I said that I was (already suited up to ride), he asked if I had a TFA (Temp Field Authorisation?). I told him that I was there to help build a bridge and the club had a TFA but I didn’t know where I was too meet them (South Staging area). He pulled out a trail map and told me that I had to ride 13km south to the south staging area, OR, I could load the bike back up, he would open the locked gate and let me drive through. I loaded up and we drove. He followed me through, opened the gate at the other end and told me to have a great ride!
I'm hoping all my SRD interactions are just as pleasant!
'09 Husaberg FE 570
'10 Ducati Multistrada S

absurveyor
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by absurveyor »

I think Bruce's comments show how much respect the RMDRA has earned with SRD. This has been the result of years of positive interaction with many of the trail group leaders in our club. I have had nothing but positive experiences at Mclean with SRD. It may have something to do with the RMDRA fender sticker also. As a club we can only promote what the law is, not what someone on any given day interprets it as. This will apply to our Wednesday night Guided Rides this year.

My experiences are that if you try to do things right (Properly mounted plate, Proper lights, etc) then you may just catch a break if you inadvertently do something wrong. For those that don't believe me I would suggest you test the grey areas of the rules at Mclean on the may long weekend.

Hint: Bolt your plate to the top of the rear fender and tuck the front of the plate under the seat.
'If you can't be fast at least look cool"- Absurveyor circa 1992

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

The main SRD officer for McLean is James Grier & he is a really nice guy.He is all in 100% with the RMDRA to see a completed designated single track trail system in McLean, he has alot of respect for the club.I've been working with him on this goal & he's been great, doing whatever he can to help us.He is out often on the trails in McLean on a quad.He is also on the lookout for non-motorcycle OHV pouching single track trails. :cheers:

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

trailguy wrote:The main SRD officer for McLean is James Grier & he is a really nice guy.He is all in 100% with the RMDRA to see a completed designated single track trail system in McLean, he has alot of respect for the club.I've been working with him on this goal & he's been great, doing whatever he can to help us.He is out often on the trails in McLean on a quad.He is also on the lookout for non-motorcycle OHV pouching single track trails. :cheers:
That's great TrailGuy :thumbsup:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250