Open Houses for Bill 36, the Alberta Land Stewardship Act

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Open Houses for Bill 36, the Alberta Land Stewardship Act

Post by Hendrix13 »

The SRD has already started they're dog and poney show to gain support for the Land Use Framework. Below are the dates and locations that I have. So far, no dates for Calgary. This is how the SRD is going to gather information to support there ALSA (Alberta Land Stewardship Act), and it's our opportunity to protest.

I encourage you to visit these open houses and express your frustration with how the government has handled our access and closure of single track. Express to them that before they shut down any more access they need to have implemented a sustainable trail system that meets the needs of Single Track riders and a growing OHV population.

With out each of us going to these open houses, we'll have missed another opportunity to influnce further LUF Plans.

The open houses run from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Government of Alberta staff will also be available to answer questions.

Please forward this information to anyone that can attend.

http://www.landuse.alberta.ca/alsaopenhouse.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Hendrix13 on Tue May 05, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Open Houses for Bill 36, the Alberta Land Stewardship Act

Post by Hendrix13 »

Here are the dates and locations for Calgary and Edmonton.

Edmonton:
May 12 - open house in Edmonton will be held at the Ramada Hotel and Conference Centre, Wildrose Room 3 (11834 Kingsway Avenue).

Calgary:
May 14 - Calgary session will be held at the Greenwood Inn and Suites, Evergreen D Room (3515-26 Street NE).

The open houses run from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

It's important for as many people as possible to come out and represent single track riding. :applause: :canada: :applause:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Thanks Jamie. :thumbsup:

i found this while sorting through the Bill 36:
Q17: How does the framework affect recreational activity on public land?
A:

The Land-use Framework identifies the need to work extensively with members of recreational communities and other key stakeholders to develop a comprehensive recreational strategy to better manage the growing recreational pressures and activities on public land.

The goal of this strategy is to ensure Albertans continue to have a wide variety of recreation opportunities on public lands, while at the same time minimizing the impact on our natural environment, reducing conflicts and increasing cooperation.

Q18: How long will it take to implement the framework?
A:

The government has established a goal of completing the seven regional plans described in the framework by the end of 2012.

The province has identified five key priorities in the framework. These priorities are: introducing legislation to support the framework, the completion and implementation of metropolitan plans for the Capital and Calgary regions, the completion of the Lower Athabasca Plan, and the South Saskatchewan Plan.

Q8: Will there be opportunities for stakeholder input on the development of regional plans?
A:

The Alberta government is committed to building regional plans with the participation of the people who live and work within the regions.

The Regional Advisory Councils will consist of 10-14 members representing the range of interests within each region, and who are able to appreciate the broad interest of the region, including provincial and municipal governments, industry, non-governmental groups, and Aboriginal communities.

The terms of reference for regional plans developed by government will set out requirements for consultation and the review of draft regional plans.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Reminder that the Open house to discuss the ALSA in Calgary is tonight..

Calgary:
May 14 - Calgary session will be held at the Greenwood Inn and Suites, Evergreen D Room (3515-26 Street NE).

The open houses run from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

The more we have to show up and support single track the better. :applause: :canada: :applause:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

DXL77
Writer
Writer

Post by DXL77 »

I stopped by the open house on my way home from work. I noticed that for all the displays and literature that was out, I didn't see a whole lot of recreational use info at all. I asked one of the goverment reps (Todd) from the SRD about this and was told that the gov. is trying to make recreational areas a priority. When I asked about singletrack specifically he was unsure as to what will happen in the GHOST FLUZ but did say that the recreational trails were being removed from the "control" of forestry mangement and put into the recreational management area, which has been newly created. Now I really need to read all the literature that I got, but the overall impression I came away with was that the goverment is actually committed to the creation and conservation of recreational areas. What does that mean for singletrack, well I still have no idea !!

Don
08 WR450 (mine)
08 PW 50 (daughter)

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Hey Don, glad to see that you made it out. :thumbsup:

I also talked to Todd and Rick Blackwood for almost 2 hrs. Although your correct that they are going to focus on recreation, there is no mention anywhere regarding OHV recreation and certainly nothing pertaining to single track. There is also no representation on the RAC for OHV recreation and there is no plan for OHV recreation or how to best manage the eastern slopes. Remember, a park area like Banff is also considered supporting recreation (walking, hiking, cycling, etc).

Basically Rick said that the RAC is where the GSMG (Ghost) was 2+ years ago :crazy: . Furthermore, the South Saskatchewan RAC only has a very short time to come up with a plan on how to manage the area. I believe by the end of this summer is there deadline (definitely before the end of this year).
The RAC is going to have a similar open house to consult with landowners and stakeholders. This will be pretty much our only opportunity to present our position on single track and management of OHV area's.

I asked what would be the best way to present our position to the RAC (ie position paper, presentation, meeting, etc.) but they didn't know what was expected. So basically in a very short time we will be asked (in some manner) to present our position for OHV access. But at this time no one knows what that will look like. Or what the expected outcome of that would be.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250