May 1-3 NOHVCC Training

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

May 1-3 NOHVCC Training

Post by dirtyboy »

That is the date for the next and probably the only 2009 training in Alberta.

May 1-3, 2009.
Friday Evening in Calgary area,
Saturday 8-5 in the Calgary area,
Sunday 8-5 in The Ghost FLUZ
Exact locations TBA

The Trail Inventory Resume (Link) is how you sign up.

Look for more information on the web page in a few days.

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Re: May 1-3 NOHVCC Training

Post by rogue »

If you should have any questions or concerns regarding the training or the Ghost FLUZ please feel free to call me or send me a PM. If choose to PM please leave a Name and number that I might reach you at should I not have the time to respond to your email.
I would like to thank the RMDRA for there continued support, with out this club such opportunities would not exist. Hopefully we have a record turn out this year. The more people we have the better chance our ridding community has a getting single track back on the map where it belongs.

Thanks in advance, :dblthumb:

Calvin

(403) 461 1394

March 7, 2009
Greetings to everyone interested in building a sustainable recreational trail system!

The Ghost Stewardship Monitoring Group (GSMG) is sponsoring a second Trail Inventory and Design training weekend.

May 1-3, 2009.
Friday Evening in Calgary area,
Saturday 8-5 in the Calgary area,
Sunday 8-5 in The Ghost FLUZ
Exact locations TBA

Trail Inventory is a trail planning process used to create a trail system wherein we define the overall trail objectives, look at what parameters govern the actual terrain the trail will follow, laying out the specific path that a trail will follow, and assessing water courses, soils, slopes and vegetation. The trail design will attempt to maximize user enjoyment and will ensure the trail will be as much self-sustaining as possible with minimum maintenance and the least environmental impact possible for future generations to enjoy. Trail Inventory does not involve the actual construction or improvement of a trail.

Trail Inventory process is to be used for:
• evaluating and improving existing trails
• re-routing trails along a new sustainable path
• reclaiming and closing un-sustainable trails
• building new trails within the given parameters
• improving the recreational experience and opportunities for all users

If you would like to participate, and can read a GPS (GPS units will be provided), have digital camera (please bring your own camera), and record readings from simple instruments (which will be provided), you have the basic skills we require.

Many volunteers have a variety of professional or hobby related skills in specific areas that the may be of great benefit to the tasks of Trail Inventory and Design. These may be skills or knowledge in biology, forestry, geology, construction, engineering, or even an expertise in a particular form of recreation, computer skills, mapping or fund raising or public relations. To help us identify any special skills that you may have that could further assist in Trail Inventory and Design, we welcome you to complete this simple resume various skills, and submit the attached Inventory resume.

To reserve your spot in this training, please respond with a completed Inventory Resume to Peter Straub via e-mail to pstraub@gmail.com

Thank-you
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

I will be attending this for sure...
There has been quite a bit of interest expressed in the RMDRA executive and members meetings for this.
I don't think many people check the "Land Advocacy Forum" often (if ever), which may explain the low number of responses.
We'll make this a priority at the next executive and club meeting to make sure all those interested in attending register to do so...
Great work Calvin...
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I am signed up.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Thanks for the post & all of your hard work in the Ghost,I do believe with all the effort you, Dave & many others are putting in, we will see some single track trails back in the Ghost area.
It is imperative that we get as many club members as possible to complete this NOHVCC course. Last year we got caught on this one badly.We had no idea after completing the course that SRD then deemed us experts in OHV trails & said go to it girls & boys.The problem was the club had approx. 15 - 20 members signed up for the course & almost everyone no showed, leaving only two of us certified.Taking the course doesn't mean you have to devote a huge amount of time afterwards.You also can choose to help in the Ghost or Mclean,possibly even Indian Graves in the near future.One example I could give you in helping out after taking the course is,say we have a straight up & down hill climb with a big rain rut,the club supplies a few volunteers & your group blocks the rutted trail with logs etc.You then re route the hill climb with a series of climbing turns [which you will learn in the course ],these are alot more sustainable than switch backs.GPS the new re route.With a number of us picking off the list of jobs to make the McLean Creek single track trail system sustainable,it puts us in the position of having our trails sustainable before McLean go's through the same process of what happened in the Ghost - and its coming. :cheers:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Please check the "Home Page" for a more detailed invitation. Please note that the invitation was written by a volunteer from the Ghost groups so it is slanted to that area.

Trailguy brings up a very important point that after taking the course (and attending the whole course) you will be an expert in SRD's eyes AND the Ghost groups eyes for working on OHV trails in all areas in Alberta (inventory, design and maintenance aspects). It may even extend further that this province.

I believe that this is like a license to print sustainable trails if you follow their rules and have reasonable expectations. It's not a fast process but it doesn't take a ton of time either. It seems like if you stay on task and put in a few hours a month, results will come.

Contrary to popular belief, this is NOT a free riding pass in the Ghost area. The placard is only valid if you are working on specific tasks asked of by the Ghost groups. I keep referring to the Ghost groups because it is simpler. The Ghost Stewardship and Monitoring Group (GSMG) is the top group and under that is the Ghost Trail sub-committee. Once you are trained you will be automatically invited to the Ghost Inventory Group (not sure of the exact name). The Inventory group feeds the Trail Sub-committee and so on. So depending on how you look at it, you may be at the top of the ladder. :D And you will be an expert for every other area in Alberta. :nworthy:

So if you truly want to help out by advocating trails for you and your friends to ride and maybe even your son or daughter in the future, I urge you to make time to attend this training course. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if I should put this out there but whatever. There are a lot of you that have vocally protested GAMP and other trail reduction programs. If you don't step up and do a small part, then you shouldn't be complaining about trail issues in the future. A few loud mouths come to mind here. I think you know who you are so I'll leave it at that. If you really want to be heard, someone said, "Actions speak louder than words".

So adjust your work and personal schedules, become a trail expert, and make a real difference to the future of off-road riding in Alberta. :dblthumb:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Hey DB,
if i sent a trail inventory resume the last go around, do i need to re submit?

i will close my shop on the Saturday enabling me to participate. :cool:

P.S. honey is better than vinegar :lol:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by thumper-darryl »

Wow. Great response from our club. I was very disappointed in the turnout we had last year. I probably should have stressed the importance of this course more. I am on both the Ghost committee and the trails sub-committee, but can not do much to put single-track back on the map without bike focused people working on trail inventory. Once you guys put together trail inventory I will do my part, and try to move things foreword in a positive way.
Darryl
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Tom,
You should re-send your resume from last year to Peter (pstraub@gmail.com) and ensure you're on the list (I did the same).
Spinalguy wrote:Hey DB,
if i sent a trail inventory resume the last go around, do i need to re submit?

i will close my shop on the Saturday enabling me to participate. :cool:

P.S. honey is better than vinegar :lol:
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

I've signed up (aka submitted resume) also.

Any idea how many from our club have signed up?

Any idea why it's called a resume..I feel I should show up in a suit and tie :)
Can I be declined for training if my "resume" sucks (my average competency level is between a 4-6 with 1 being the highest)?
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Dobi wrote:I am signed up.

Ditto here!

D.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

WRocks wrote:Tom,
You should re-send your resume from last year to Peter (pstraub@gmail.com) and ensure you're on the list (I did the same).
Done!

***On a side note. This should also be posted in Upcoming events. i hate to say it, but Land Use on EVERY site i have ever been in Canada and USA sees less traffic than other sections on the same site. As an example, look at how many views on this thread vs the number of views for... 'a bike for the wife'.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

It is now list in EVERY forum. :D

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I signed up!