McLean Creek update

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

McLean Creek update

Post by trailguy »

Wanted to give everyone an update on McLean as neither Aaron or myself will be able to make the Feb.5th meeting.I'm off to Lethbridge that night for the Areanacross on the Friday/Saturday & Aaron has hired a personal trainer & is down in Mexico, I think the guys name is Jose Cuervo or something, they get up in the morning & start the day out by gargling with Mojito's - gnarly. Things are continuing to look very positive for us at McLean in 2009 & beyond.After May 1st we will be checking all our creek bridges for ice flow damage etc.Check all up & over bridges[ which are all completed ]. Inventory trails for blowdown, sure hoping its not as bad as the last two years. Dave & I will finish the GPSing, we're 90% complete at this point.I have to give Dave a big thank you in stepping up & helping me out with this GPS project, its been a major undertaking & with me being the only one who knows where all the trails on the map are having Dave's help has put us way farther ahead of where we should be right now.We've spent alot of time in front of the computer making sure the GPS tracks match my hand drawn trails on the map.As soon as possible I would like to start signing all the singletrack trail heads with SRD motorcycle signs - they tell me they have lots of them.We will continue to build brigdes over creeks.Aaron has done an awsome job of an Engineered bridge with plans over the winter & he just got it approved/ engineer stamped & SRD seems happy with it.After the GPSing is complete, trail intersections will be numbered & signed, these will eventually make it onto the printed map [ same as Ghost ].Re routing of trails in wet area's will be done as well as re routing straight up/down hills with unstainable rutts, to switchbacks/climbing turns.We really need to look at vehicle width restrictors at trail heads.
We have built a great relationship with the SRD in McLean, we have done everything we said we would & in turn they have done the same.We have shown them in the last year what this club is really all about.I think they are at ease in that giving us as many single track trails that they did in McLean was a concern as far as long term maintenance was concerned.After the last year I think that concern is all but gone, as I had told them we would maintain the singletrack trail system ourselves, I think they realize that will be the case.Getting TFA's [ tempory field access] from the SRD happens within a day, sometimes the same day, so that makes things alot easer for us.I truly believe SRD wants to see McLean go the way of a NOVACC style OHV area. Getting SRD involved with NOVACC as been huge for us.SRD is very very happy with the RMDRA & totally impressed with what the club accomplished in 2008,dispite major blowdown of most of our trails.Thanks to everyone who helped out last year,we just need to keep the ball rolling in 2009 & beyond. :thumbsup:

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Re: McLean Creek update

Post by steve-o »

Thanks for the update and all your work Dylan! and DB too with the gps'ing :thumbsup:

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

This is a great update. Huge thanks to all those who have contributed to these efforts. Hopefully we can keep this momentum going into the future and all still be here talking about riding our singletracks in another ten years.

:cheers:

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Very good news and a very good report!

Thanks Dylan, Aaron and the rest of the GPS crew, the bridge building crews, and the trail clearing (blowdown) crews! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

D.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Dirtbuddy420
Writer
Writer

Post by Dirtbuddy420 »

+111111 Fantastic Work All !!!!!! :thumbsup:
2008 WR450

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Thanks so much for your continued effort out here Dylan. We are all the benifactors of your hard work.

Waxy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Waxy »

That is awesome news. Establishing a good relationship is so important.

You guys deserve such a huge pat on the back for this, I am so grateful that you guys take this upon yourselves for all of us.

A sincere thank-you from me.

Waxy
'07 KTM 400 XCW Dual Sported
2016 Warrior V208/Mercury 350 Verado