McLean Creek Article in Herald

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Re: McLean Creek Article in Herald

Post by WR_Dave »

Check out page 32 in the Sunday Sun and read that idiot Ian Robinsons's view of off-roaders. Typical media, single minded, self righteous garbage, that gets joe public riled up. Funny thing is he accuses us "knuckle draggers" of scaring animals while he was out on his trap line killing animals :crazy: . He even has some anti-american sentiment going as well. Obviously a well educated journalism graduate. :thumbsdown: WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Yeah, it pretty ignorant. At least his rant was mainly directed at Quads... :devil:

Here is the article:

Ian Robinson

Sun, May 25, 2008
Unnatural acts
UPDATED: 2008-05-25 04:04:10 MST

Ted Morton is the minister of Alberta Sustainable Resource Development.
Which is a bullcrap, politically correct, feel-good, moronic name for what used to be called in most jurisdictions, sensibly enough, the natural resources portfolio.
I guess it only makes sense that when you ask somebody with such a bullcrap title a question, what comes out of his mouth is ... um, how to say this delicately ... appropos of his ministry's name.
After the annual May long weekend debacle, with its inevitable photos of landscape torn up by all-terrain vehicles, Morton was asked in the legislature how the government plans to prevent further wilderness degredation.
Morton said the province's new land use framework includes more trails for off-road vehicles.

"The solution is more trails."
Yeah. That's right. We have a morons-with-ATVs problem, so the solution is to give them more places to wreck.
Not for nothing does the American-born Ted come from the culture that gave us the line: "We had to destroy the village in order to save it."
He also uttered the obligatory nonsense that politicians must, which is to point out that not all off-roaders are bad, it's just those few bad apples.
Uh, Ted?
Yeah. They are.
When I was 11, snowshoeing through the bush checking on my little rabbit trapline in the dark, a snowmobile nearly ran me down.
That was the first, alas not the last, time my life has been threatened in such a way.
Since then, my antipathy for the knuckle-dragging yahoos who race through the bush on any manhood substitute -- snowmobile, ATV, dirt bike, four-wheel drive truck -- has only grown.
Camping used to be about enjoying nature, and getting back into the serious wild took serious effort.
You hiked it or canoed it.
You had to earn it with sweat and calories burned and blisters on your heels and callouses on your hands.
It was the drag of the pack on your shoulders and that glorious feeling of weightlessness when you could finally shrug it off.
It was the call of a loon across the lake, the howl of a wolf, the chatter of a squirrel, a burst of birdsong.
It was not the sound of an engine red-lining and a choking cloud of exhaust.
Let's get something absolutely straight here.
People who propel themselves through the bush with internal combustion engines are not exactly nature lovers.
The people who head out to scare the sludge out of the wildlife -- and any remaining 11-year-olds who still venture outside away from the X-box -- would be just as happy if somebody dug a giant pit in the middle of Calgary, filled it up with mud and let them play.
I saw the pictures from McLean Creek.
These aren't nature lovers.
They aren't fit enough to be nature lovers.
The ones I saw in the photos and the ones I've laid eyes on up close and personal when I've camped there, are so fat and out of shape, they couldn't wheeze and waddle their way on foot to the neighbourhood 7-Eleven if they were giving out free Slurpees.
And, although some might think I'm exaggerating, I once saw an ATVer scrape her knee on a rock ... and she bled that yellow gunk they pour on nachos.
Seriously.
So can somebody in authority grow a pair and just ban the damnable things?
What ATVs and dirt bikes and four-wheel-drive vehicles do is allow morons to impinge upon irreplaceable wilderness far beyond the scope of a human on foot.
Banning them would have the effect of limiting how deep we forge into the lands that belong to all Albertans.
And it will be returned to those of us willing to earn the experience of the wilderness.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Did anyone read todays Calgary Sun.

"Quote:

Unnatural acts
ATVs allow morons to impinge on irreplaceable wilderness

By IAN ROBINSON

Ted Morton is the minister of Alberta Sustainable Resource Development.
Which is a bullcrap, politically correct, feel-good, moronic name for what used to be called in most jurisdictions, sensibly enough, the natural resources portfolio. I guess it only makes sense that when you ask somebody with such a bullcrap title a question, what comes out of his mouth is ... um, how to say this delicately ... appropos of his ministry's name. After the annual May long weekend debacle, with its inevitable photos of landscape torn up by all-terrain vehicles, Morton was asked in the legislature how the government plans to prevent further wilderness degredation. Morton said the province's new land use framework includes more trails for off-road vehicles. "The solution is more trails."
Yeah. That's right. We have a morons-with-ATVs problem, so the solution is to give them more places to wreck.
Not for nothing does the American-born Ted come from the culture that gave us the line: "We had to destroy the village in order to save it."
He also uttered the obligatory nonsense that politicians must, which is to point out that not all off-roaders are bad, it's just those few bad apples.
Uh, Ted?
Yeah. They are.
When I was 11, snowshoeing through the bush checking on my little rabbit trapline in the dark, a snowmobile nearly ran me down.
That was the first, alas not the last, time my life has been threatened in such a way.
Since then, my antipathy for the knuckle-dragging yahoos who race through the bush on any manhood substitute -- snowmobile, ATV, dirt bike, four-wheel drive truck -- has only grown.
Camping used to be about enjoying nature, and getting back into the serious wild took serious effort.
You hiked it or canoed it.
You had to earn it with sweat and calories burned and blisters on your heels and callouses on your hands.
It was the drag of the pack on your shoulders and that glorious feeling of weightlessness when you could finally shrug it off.
It was the call of a loon across the lake, the howl of a wolf, the chatter of a squirrel, a burst of birdsong.
It was not the sound of an engine red-lining and a choking cloud of exhaust.
Let's get something absolutely straight here.
People who propel themselves through the bush with internal combustion engines are not exactly nature lovers.
The people who head out to scare the sludge out of the wildlife -- and any remaining 11-year-olds who still venture outside away from the X-box -- would be just as happy if somebody dug a giant pit in the middle of Calgary, filled it up with mud and let them play.
I saw the pictures from McLean Creek.
These aren't nature lovers.
They aren't fit enough to be nature lovers.
The ones I saw in the photos and the ones I've laid eyes on up close and personal when I've camped there, are so fat and out of shape, they couldn't wheeze and waddle their way on foot to the neighbourhood 7-Eleven if they were giving out free Slurpees.
And, although some might think I'm exaggerating, I once saw an ATVer scrape her knee on a rock ... and she bled that yellow gunk they pour on nachos.
Seriously.
So can somebody in authority grow a pair and just ban the damnable things?
What ATVs and dirt bikes and four-wheel-drive vehicles do is allow morons to impinge upon irreplaceable wilderness far beyond the scope of a human on foot.
Banning them would have the effect of limiting how deep we forge into the lands that belong to all Albertans.
And it will be returned to those of us willing to earn the experience of the wilderness. Unquote"

I think we should reply to this guy and straighten him out!
Claude

Waxy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Waxy »

IMHO, not worth it. You might was well try converting a Christian to Islam.

I've been in a seeming endless number of discussion about OHV use thanks to the yahoos at Maclean. MAYBE one in ten people, once they have the facts (I'd guess 1 in 100 start with the facts), understand the reality of the situation and are prepared to engage in some form of constructive process. The rest simply dig in their heels and want ALL OHV use banned, period.

It's amazing the impact of an event like May long at Maclean. There are millions of "enviros" out there, people with little or no knowledge of how the whole OHV use area system works, crown land in AB, or the outdoors in general. What they do know is that actions like those at Maclean are unacceptable to them and must be completely eliminated. Furthermore, they tend to view and stereotype anyone that participates in OHV activities much the same way the author above does - we're all low life cretins bent purely on destruction and terrorizing them and nature. They are adamant in that stance, and nothing will sway them from their beliefs, no amount of reason or common sense can penetrate the emotion and righteousness. On top of that, they are VERY vocal about it, and the media eats it up.

It's very frustating, and it has really opened my eyes. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the people here that continue to take up this fight in the face of such oppostion and ignorance. Not to mention the actions of the few within the OHV "community" that are our own worst enemies.

Thank you to all of you.

Waxy
'07 KTM 400 XCW Dual Sported
2016 Warrior V208/Mercury 350 Verado

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

Waxy wrote:IMHO, not worth it. You might was well try converting a Christian to Islam.

I've been in a seeming endless number of discussion about OHV use thanks to the yahoos at Maclean. MAYBE one in ten people, once they have the facts (I'd guess 1 in 100 start with the facts), understand the reality of the situation and are prepared to engage in some form of constructive process. The rest simply dig in their heels and want ALL OHV use banned, period.

It's amazing the impact of an event like May long at Maclean. There are millions of "enviros" out there, people with little or no knowledge of how the whole OHV use area system works, crown land in AB, or the outdoors in general. What they do know is that actions like those at Maclean are unacceptable to them and must be completely eliminated. Furthermore, they tend to view and stereotype anyone that participates in OHV activities much the same way the author above does - we're all low life cretins bent purely on destruction and terrorizing them and nature. They are adamant in that stance, and nothing will sway them from their beliefs, no amount of reason or common sense can penetrate the emotion and righteousness. On top of that, they are VERY vocal about it, and the media eats it up.

It's very frustating, and it has really opened my eyes. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the people here that continue to take up this fight in the face of such oppostion and ignorance. Not to mention the actions of the few within the OHV "community" that are our own worst enemies.

Thank you to all of you.
Waxy
I agree with Waxy here, but I think we can do something about it. I know it was talked about at the last few meetings to write an article for the newspaper (maybe its in the works... i dunno), so wouldn't this be the most opportune time to do it?? We keep getting our sport, reputation and personal morale destroyed and all we do is complain to ourselves on forums and such (myself included) but not publicly. PUBLICITY matters. Spend our club money, talk to the Second Gear Club, collaborate on this issue which is REALLY important so we have it in print with pictures of clubs cleaning up the mess after May long etc. If you need me to write an article, I would be more than happy but I'm sure there are many people in our club with better written language than the Polak here. :)

Just my $0.02