McLean Creek Article in Herald

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
TrialsPaul
Writer
Writer

McLean Creek Article in Herald

Post by TrialsPaul »

Not good press for the area....

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/new ... e9fd08a02c

Unfortunately. the long weekends still wreck it for the rest of us.
Instructor - Offroad Motorcycle Training Institute (providing offroad training in Alberta)
http://www.offroadmotorcycletraining.ca

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

...and the Sun.

Post by MotorEd »

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

We need to consider a letter to the editor of the Herald re-inforcing our focus on
"Protect our Lands" in response to the heavy publicity on campers and mud boggers. There was little or no mention of motorcycles in the articles so it is a perfect opportunity for us to raise our voices. I will find some time this week to craft my own response and encourage other two wheelers to do the same. My suggestion is we not be critical of the 4 wheelers, just state our position emphasis that sensitive wetlands are not our target riding areas.

Your executive will discuss this further Thursday night at the RMDRA Executive meeting.
Gord
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

I also am writing a letter to the editor of the herald (from myself, not on behalf of the club). I had not previously seen the Sun article, but I wll also send a copy to the Sun's editor.

D.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Dragon997
Writer
Writer

Post by Dragon997 »

Same old story!

I hate to say this but what did SRD expect? Pushing users into a smaller area is guaranteed to cause a bigger impact.

This is the time for the AOHVA to send out a press release.
Cal and Bob if your listening, we called on you last year, you need to step up now!

Johnathan 403-606-0505
09 KTM300XCW
05 CRF250X
08 KLR 650
08 DL1000
TTR125 x2
TTR110 for sale

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Mclean creek

Post by thumper-darryl »

Keep your fingers crossed. I did a lengthy interview with CBC TV this morning. They seem to have a good understanding of what the RMDRA is about, and had heard nothing but positive about us. I am always cautious about media, as you never know what slant they want to put on things, but this seemed positive and honest.

Have been invited to be on CBC radio tonight at 5:15. Hope for a good show.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

JohnE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JohnE »

I rode in McLean twice on the weekend and did see some bad behaviour (none involving motorbikes). It's unfortunate that a small group of irresponsible users wrecks it for everyone else.

John E.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Although the petition did not work, the OHV community will be at Maclean this Saturday for a clean up.
Most of these volunteers choose to camp elsewhere in the province but will clean up Maclean anyways.
If you would like to help out, meeting at Maclean Creek Camper store.

Here is the original from CJA. (Calgary Jeep Association) and Evolution Machine and Fabrication.

LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS TO GO CLEAN UP ON SATURDAY THE 24TH... BRING GARBAGE BAGS, WORK GLOVES, AND SHOVELS.

We'll meet at the McLean Store at 9:30AM on Saturday the 24th..... see you all there.

ANY HELP is well appreciated

i will be there later with a 6x12 cargo trailer to haul away the mess. i will go straight to the dump and pay for dumping fees myself.
Tom
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Spinalguy wrote:
i will be there later with a 6x12 cargo trailer to haul away the mess. i will go straight to the dump and pay for dumping fees myself.
Tom
Perhaps RMDRA would be willing to cover the dump fees - a good (and low cost) opportunity for RMDRA to promote, and of course report, itself as a responsible land use group.

D.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

crazy2wheeler wrote:
Spinalguy wrote:
Tom
Perhaps RMDRA would be willing to cover the dump fees - a good (and low cost) opportunity for RMDRA to promote, and of course report, itself as a responsible land use group.

D.
I think that would be appropriate :cheers:

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

MotorEd wrote:
crazy2wheeler wrote:
Spinalguy wrote:
Tom

D.
I think that would be appropriate :cheers:
and if not, I will split the cost with you....including your fuel there and back! Infact, take the cash that BigR gave you and put it towards that..... :cheers:

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Post by KanadianIceMan »

Would love to this weekend but in compeer for the Enduro.

Might be there tomorrow night, will get some photos if i can and post so you can see what you will be against.

Cheers & Best of luck!
Helmet Cameras! http://hcc.tv/secondgear
CONTACT mitch@secondgearclub.com
SGC PHOTOS Second Gear Club Photo Galleries
05' YZ250 - Pumpkin Eater

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Thanks for the offers.
This weekend is also the weekend that RMDRA is out in full force doing trail clean up of singletrack. Clearing brush, windblow, etc.
i will represent RMDRA on the garbage side of things with the cargo trailer. Lets make sure we have enough volunteers for the Aaron's initiative which is meeting elsewhere at Maclean.
Maybe he can chime in with those details.
thanks
Tom
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Another article on the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/ ... arges.html

A variety of comments, from bone-brained to eloquent.

Speedblitz
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: McLean Creek Article in Herald

Post by Speedblitz »

Is the clean-up posted above still happening Saturday? Still meeting @ McLean Store at 9:30AM?

What do I need to bring? A quad? A trailer?

Let me know,
Thanks.