Ted Morton Bragg Creek/Cochrane Forum on Feb 21 and Feb 27

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

MotorEd wrote: Well it will be interesting to see if they give the same negative spin on OHV/watershed with the logging program going on out at BarC these days.

Thanks again Spinalguy.
Yes, I would really like to hear their reply to that argument. I haven't been to BarC since the logging... are the hillsides next to the river valley clear cut too? If so, they have no argument at all. If the clearcuts are on hill plateaus, then they will say that its not effecting the silting in the rivers...

I'll try to make it on the 27th.

DIRTTV
Journalist
Journalist

watershed

Post by DIRTTV »

with respect to watershed. With my contacts at applied aquatic research informing me that as far as hard bottom crossing goes there is no evidence that shows it creates watershed damage. They inform me that most damage is caused by transportation canada when they construct new roadways and dont properely create proper water diversions and banks. However the govnt will deny this.......of course.

I cant understand how the govnmt can shut down ohv's all over alberta when the economy decides what happens. it all goes back to the almighty dollar. but you never know about politicians. In the end I have found with dealings with the gov this past year nomatter how much info I give them they still do whatever they want.

I had planned to have a liberal candidate come to the next meeting but I was recently told it would be like "feeding my candidate to the wolves". I tried to explain that there was to be a non bias moderator but they chose to deny the invitation.

Our only hope is to submit new trails that contain NO water crossings this year.

FYI
the ghost plan was set to fail from the start because srd contained water crossings in the plan. This unfortunately was a fail from the start.

just my .02 cents.

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Morton

Post by thumper-darryl »

Tom your comment about the AOHVA not doing anything south of Edmonton shows an incredibla lack of ANY knowledge of what is going on. It would take hours to cover all the different things AOHVA is involved with that effect riding south if Edmonton, but some highlights are:
- AOHVA quad rep on the Ghost committee(the AOHVA put foreword bike reps for the committee that would have provided the bike community strong respresentation and resources available from the AOHVA but the Calgary bike community botched it up)
-AOHVA mainly run out of the Blairmore office.(read South, not north)
-AOHVA people are constantly meeting with various Gov people at different levels, about mainly southern AB issues. Ongoing work with Lethbridge, Medicine-hat clubs on access issues in Willow creek. Porcupine, Castle, etc.
-AOHVA has been working on the Mclean Creek winter use issue (still ongoing)
-AOHVA is assisting RMDRA in gaining access to Gov funding.
-ASA/ AOHVA person arranged for NOHVCC to come up and get involved with our access planning. (This alone has been the biggest positive to EVER hit the AB off-road community.
Other that me, no-one else in the Calgary area bike community is actually doing anything to help the provincial organizations with access issues. I get the impression that you expect to call for help and the provincial organizations will jump in and solve your problems. This is NOT how it works. The ASA and AOHVA have resources and personal to help local area people and clubs with access issues, not to solve them for you.
Call Bob Smith or better yet Glen French and find out what is actually being done for you before making such a rediculous comment.
PS: April 27th annual general meeting of the AOHVA in Blairmore.
Your opportunity to actually see what is going on.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Morton

Post by MotorEd »

thumper-darryl wrote:(the AOHVA put foreword bike reps for the committee that would have provided the bike community strong respresentation and resources available from the AOHVA but the Calgary bike community botched it up)
What bike reps were put forward by AOHVA? these were guys endorsed by AOHVA? when did this happen?

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Darryl,
you and AOHVA have admitted that you have been very absent on any issues South of Edmonton.
Its good to see an update. Maybe that is all it takes, update us.
Still very much quad based.
As i have said before and will continue to say again and again. We people of Calgary need to take care of our own issues, we can not count on a Quad based organization to help us. RMDRA (which i have no status other than member) understands this.
And Darryl, in case you forgot...i have a 60,000 dollar 4x4 collecting dust in my garage. Maybe my comments to Morton are based on that as well???
Updates from AOHVA on what they are specifically doing for bikes would be super, keep us in the loop.

Nice dig by the way on the bike community 'botching' that one. :cool:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

I see the points that you each bring forward

...and...

let's not forget to play nice. :hide:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists