Bar C new look

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Bar C new look

Post by Spinalguy »

This pic is the 'new look' Bar C area. With Teddy announcement in the media today that everyone will be upset with his Land Use Framework plan....
maybe he ought to see for himself at Ground Zero what his new plan will look like :banghead: except we won't be there!

You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

Tom, where in Bar-C is this? Just brutal...

Are studs needed out there right now?
Speed kills. Live forever. Ride a Yamaha.

2007 KTM 450 exc
2003 V-Strom 1000
1977 Yamaha XT 500
1973 Honda Z50

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

chucker wrote:Tom, where in Bar-C is this? Just brutal...

Are studs needed out there right now?

Beside the Trans Alta Rd for miles and miles and miles except no logging on the side that was given to Equestrian use when GAMP came out.
Yes, studs are needed. :cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

I will add a few more pictures. We took the dog for a walk a few months ago and I couldnt believe the logging! Not here to rant or protest about logging because they have stepped up the logging schedule for a reason....the pine beetle ( and the all mighty dollar :D ) My point is you cant even compare the impact of clear cut logging to riding the single track motorcycle trails that 'used to be there'.

The pay load....

Another pay load! Score by Jesse!....and we all paid deerly for this later in the truck :crazy:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

One of my patients is an environmentalist and he said that the Pine beetle is a MYTH in Waiporous as most trees there are not Pine, they are Spruce. He also said that there really is no hard data to support the notion that logging in a PINE forest will stop the pine beetle and logging in a Spruce forest....

Here is a news release regarding Teddy

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Government minister expects many Albertans will be upset with new land policy

Jim Macdonald, THE CANADIAN PRESS

EDMONTON - Alberta is preparing to release a new land use framework that will affect ranchers, oilmen, loggers, miners and recreational users alike, leaving many at least "a little bit upset," says Ted Morton, the minister in charge of the major policy overhaul.

The province has seen a tug-of-war in recent years as all kinds of users have competed for space and resources. The new policy, months in the crafting, is meant to guide Alberta for the next several decades.

"I think industrial users, environmental advocates, everyone is going to find something (they don't like)," says Morton, an avid outdoorsman who became minister of sustainable resource development a year ago.

"Everyone will find something to pick on, if they want to."

The ministries of agriculture, energy, parks and recreation, municipal affairs and environment and also aboriginal relations are involved in the far-reaching project, but Morton has the lead role.

His ministry is now wrangling with the others after ignoring some of their recommendations.

"I felt the report was becoming too much like a Christmas tree," Morton said in an interview. "Everyone wanted to put their own ornaments on it.

"So I expect there may be some arm wrestling and some argy-bargy over the next couple of weeks."

Don Johnson, president of the Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties, says Morton can't ignore the impact the land use framework will have on other areas of government.

"How do you put all this stuff together to make sense, to protect the land so we can still produce food, so you can protect the water and have effective planning between urban and rural municipalities?" Johnson asked.

"If urban areas need to grow, how does that annexation take place? Where are the utility corridors going to be?"

Alberta ranchers and livestock producers are looking for a fair-minded approach to how the province regulates feedlots and pig barns.

Rick Burton of Alberta Beef Producers says the rules need to protect those who build these intensive livestock operations and then encounter problems with neighbours.

"Somebody will build a house next door to a feedlot and then complain about the odour," said Burton. "This makes it very difficult for (the feedlot owner) to continue operating or expand his operation, even though he was clearly there in the first place."

Burton also says he expects some controversy between recreational users and industrial and agricultural users.

"If those recreational activities are creating long-term environmental damage, and a lot of them do, there has to be some level of control over that," he said.

The group representing people who ride snowmobiles, quads, four-wheelers, dirt bikes and other recreational vehicles has a different take on what's needed.

Cal Rakach of the Alberta Off Road Vehicle Association says many of their members have become "outlaws" because of restrictions on where their vehicles can be used.

"It's a battle," he said. "We're very limited in our ability to ride legally."

Rakach says he expects off-road vehicles will be limited to a managed trail system under the new rules, further limiting their access to popular destinations.

The forest industry is looking for continued access to timber areas, balanced with access for other industrial and recreational users.

"With the human and industrial footprint getting bigger, we're seeing a permanent loss of forest land," says Parker Hogan, spokesman for the Alberta Forest Products Association.

David Pryce of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers says the energy industry wants to see the province maintain some of the development policies that have served the sector well.

"We're advocating that they continue to make use of that as a guidance around land use, water use and all of those sorts of things," said Pryce.

But a workbook issued by the province to gauge public concern suggests the energy industry and other industrial land users may be in for a shock.

The workbook drew more than 3,100 responses last spring. Nearly 75 per cent of the respondents said land use was too focused on economic development and growth. Many called for more balance with environmental and recreational needs.

Cliff Wallis, vice-president of the Alberta Wilderness Association, says Alberta has allowed far too much industrial development, especially in the oilsands region in the north.

"It's been all about resource extraction and the economy at any price," said Wallis. "Unfortunately, it's the economy that pays the price in future generations."

Alberta has already reshaped its policies for water use and air quality, so Morton sees the land use policy as the "third leg of the policy stool."

Under the new policy, Alberta will divided into six land use regions, each with its own priorities. Morton expects to release a draft early this year and then gather public comment before completing the final version.

© The Canadian Press, 2008

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

nice scenery shots boys :crazy:

Has our representative on the land use framework board been able to provide any input for the OHV users?

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

WOW, thanks for that Spinalguy. I cant argue your comments about the pine beetle....thats why I mentioned the almighty dollar...seems a good excuse to generate some $$$ and snow the average joe about the reason the program has been stepped up.

Reading between the lines from the actual quotes from Ted and it doesnt sound good for any user. I will be shocked if we dont see more trails closed this year given his statements.

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

Yikes! Thats quite the scenery change.... :banghead: Good thing this logging thing doesn't do as much environmental damage as my ridgetop single track riding!

:crazy:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

CALGARY/AM770CHQR - Alberta Sustainable Resources Minister Ted Morton is touring an area in K-country Friday and Saturday to determine the effects of logging that has occurred over the past couple of months.
Ted Morton will be in a helicopter Friday afternoon to have a look at the impacts that logging is having in the Spray Lakes area.
Morton is currently in the process of developing a land use framework says that three quarters of Kananaskis Country will be off limits to any development, however one quarter will be subject to multiple use and that includes what he calls "sustainable logging" to protect against forest fire and pine beetle infestation.

hopefully Teddy gets a chance to fly over this area and see the great landscape that he has allowed to be created.

BradC
Writer
Writer

Wow....

Post by BradC »

That's incredible!

I was part of the working groups on the Land Use Framework, and even got a letter of commendation from Ted Morton himself.

In his letter to me he says, and I quote: "...Together, we are working to leave a legacy that will benefit Albertans for decades to come."

You bet Ted.

...and to think, I actually felt guilty about continuing to ride in that area.

:banghead:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Minister Ted Morton...the 't' is silent :D

i was skiing yesterday with a guy from Alberta Fish and Wildlife. The deal behind logging the area for pine beetle is a joke. The logging companies were only supposed to log PINE and leave Spruce alone. Guess what the majority of trees in Barc/Waiporous are?
SPRUCE.
Also, he reconfirmed that there is no study to support that logging PINE stops the beetle :crazy:

So...
SRD hates him
Alberta Fish and Wildlife hates him
OHV hates him.
And Hunter/Fisherman will soon hate him too.

How do we get rid of this guy?
:excuse:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I heard they cut all the trees down in Bar C so they could run from the pine beetle!!! :D
Spinalguy wrote: How do we get rid of this guy?

Maybe he should be tied to one of those (now) loose trees in Bar C and we can let the beetles get him ---beetlejuice,beetlejuice,beetlejuice..... I guess you had to see the movie. :blush: WR Dave.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Spinalguy wrote: How do we get rid of this guy?
WR Dave wrote:Maybe he should be tied to one of those (now) loose trees in Bar C and we can let the beetles get him ---beetlejuice,beetlejuice,beetlejuice..... I guess you had to see the movie. :blush: .
i saw the movie...that is funny :D

Zeal
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zeal »

WARNING, LOGGING TRUCKS.

Just a heads up. If you are in those areas that are being logged, be VERY careful on the roads. I was at Bar C yesterday and very nearly met my maker. A tuck was going very fast down a single lane hill, and there is no way he could have stopped for me.

So, be careful out there, there a s-load of pine beatle laten trucks out there.

Zeal
08 GasGas (That's the Brand fool!)
250 EC

#999 Int.