Public input welcome on Kananaskis park and recreation plans

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

The following information has been posted to the Government of Alberta website.
----------------------------------

Information Bulletin

November 21, 2007

Calgary... Albertans are invited to share their opinion on a new management plan being developed for Bragg Creek Provincial Park and close to 40 provincial recreation areas in Kananaskis Country. The provincial recreation areas include those along Highway 66 (Elbow Valley), Highway 68 (Sibbald Area) and Secondary Highway 541 (Longview Road). In addition to taking written feedback, two open house sessions will be held to gather input.
When: Monday, November 26
Time: 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
1804 Crowchild Trail N.W., Calgary

When: Tuesday, November 27
Time: 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
25 White Avenue, Bragg Creek

Input is also invited on the park management plan’s draft Terms of Reference, available at both sessions or by visiting the Kananaskis site at www.tprc.alberta.ca/parks or calling 403-678-5508. Written comments received by January 15, 2008 will be considered as the draft Terms of Reference and plan are prepared. Albertans will have another opportunity to provide input into the plan once a draft is finalized, expected to be in the spring of 2008.
The Government of Alberta is committed to developing management plans for all protected areas in Alberta to determine how they are managed in the future. Park management plans:
Describe protected areas, and the surrounding environment and community
Identify government goals for the park or protected areas, and how they will be achieved
Provide objectives and guidelines on how a site’s natural and cultural heritage will be preserved
Detail the type and extent of recreation, heritage appreciation and tourism opportunities that will be supported in an area, and how they will meet the needs of the community
Provide opportunities for ongoing review and public consultation on park management
Ensuring access to Alberta’s provincial parks and recreation areas is part of Premier Ed Stelmach’s plan to secure Alberta’s future by building communities, greening our growth and creating opportunity.
-30-
Media enquiries may be directed to:
Ray Andrews
Operations Manager, Kananaskis Country
Tourism, Parks, Recreation and Culture
403-678-5500 ext. 270 Erin Mikaluk
Communications
Tourism, Parks, Recreation and Culture
780-427-6530
To call toll free within Alberta dial 310-0000.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

post deleted.
Last edited by crazy2wheeler on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i will drop in on my way home from work Monday.

Thanks for posting Dave. Sweet find!
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i went, did anyone else :excuse:

Here is my analysis.
The plan is addressing the probability of overnight privately run hotels, motels, cabins, etc of SMALL size being constructed in K country. There will not be any more golf courses or ski hill development. The above lodging does not specify the use so outfitters and horse interests will be a possibility.

Maclean Creek OHV.
Restrictions will be implemented. Reading between the lines and listening to what is not being said leads me to believe the 4x4 community will be hardest hit. Staging areas at the 5km mark and Fisher Creek in the South will be examined to determine if more staging areas need to be created. Enforcement will not change, there will be a continued lack of enforcement at Maclean Creek.

Spring of 2008 will see the completion of the final draft. It will likely take another 1 year to clear the red tape. But seeing how Teddy Moron cleared the tape with zero public consultation at Indian Graves, than i will not be surprised to see this in full effect prior to May Long.

Anyone else? :devil:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Thanks for attending Spinalguy....and thanks for the update.

:cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Spinalguy wrote:i went, did anyone else :excuse:

Here is my analysis.
The plan is addressing the probability of overnight privately run hotels, motels, cabins, etc of SMALL size being constructed in K country. There will not be any more golf courses or ski hill development. The above lodging does not specify the use so outfitters and horse interests will be a possibility.

Maclean Creek OHV.
Restrictions will be implemented. Reading between the lines and listening to what is not being said leads me to believe the 4x4 community will be hardest hit. Staging areas at the 5km mark and Fisher Creek in the South will be examined to determine if more staging areas need to be created. Enforcement will not change, there will be a continued lack of enforcement at Maclean Creek.

Spring of 2008 will see the completion of the final draft. It will likely take another 1 year to clear the red tape. But seeing how Teddy Moron cleared the tape with zero public consultation at Indian Graves, than i will not be surprised to see this in full effect prior to May Long.

Anyone else? :devil:
I went in and talked with the presenter. Same summary as Tom. I did walk away with a copy of the stakeholder input form that I will scan and upload to the site for everyone to fill out. The deadline for submission is Jan 15, 2008 so we have some time to add input. I agree that it has the potential to affect the OHV users but it could also be a chance for the gov't to increase existing camping capacity to allow more organized camping and staging areas for OHV use. We all know that random camping is going by the wayside and may as well accept that. Here is our chance to have input into how we will spend our nights by the fire while camping in K country talking about the good ole days when we could ride anywhere, anytime :buttkick:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

attached are the terms of reference for your review and the comment sheet to print off, fill out, and send in.
Attachments
comment sheet.pdf
(52.55 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
terms of reference.txt
(253 Bytes) Downloaded 47 times

DIAMOND DAVE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by DIAMOND DAVE »

I went last night and had a very long and good chat with both Don & Dave that were there. I see some good opourtunities in the future. But we need to work with them.

Just my $0.02