What's new?

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
hemi
Contributor
Contributor

What's new?

Post by hemi »

Been out of the sport for a few years.
Getting my son into it.
What's up with Indian graves,ghost, maclean creek and porkypine hills?
Use to ride maclean,ghost IG years ago probably wouldn't recognize them now. :crybaby:
Just looking for easy trails to start the kid out on.Me too

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Re: What's new?

Post by MotorEd »

hemi wrote:Been out of the sport for a few years.
Getting my son into it.
What's up with Indian graves,ghost, maclean creek and porkypine hills?
Use to ride maclean,ghost IG years ago probably wouldn't recognize them now. :crybaby:
Just looking for easy trails to start the kid out on.Me too
What's up? Been out for awhile? :excuse: Well, these areas are in a huge state of change right now. GAMP was introduced last May in an effort to reduce the destructive and reckless acts that occur during the long weekends…specifically the May long weekend. GAMP closed all single-track in the Ghost/Waiprous area….all users have been affected because of it, but I think we got the worst of it. We now see the Mclean Creek and Indian Graves areas being used more heavily than we have ever seen….mostly because of GAMP pushing users to go elsewhere. Surprise surprise we had one of the worst May long weekends for reckless and mindlessness in the IG and Mclean area. Access to these areas will be changed as the govt is working on a so called 'plan'. I expect it to look much like GAMP and have most of our trails closed.

The logging in the Mclean Creek area is in full force. Many of the trails you might remember are gone. Spray Lakes is working with us to make these trails still usable, but it’s hard to do.

We had a devastating wind storm last Nov knock down whole sections of forest in the Mclean and Waiprous areas, and with that went more of our trails. We have spent much of the summer with chain saws on our backs trying to reclaim some single-track trails….much progress has been made, but there is still much work to do.

Bottom line our riding areas are changing at a rapid rate for a number of reasons, all of which require EVERYONE'S effort to help out.

Hope that helps…this is only the tip of the iceberg of what's new. And good luck to you and your son!! :cheers:

hemi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hemi »

Thanks motorEd,wow you ain't kidding things have changed, I remember riding out at IG when it was still Wilson lease land back when people still lived in the cabin.
Shame but I guess you fine folks have been fighting so I can bring my son into this fine sport.
So i'll say this to all of you THANKS!!!!

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

hemi wrote:Shame but I guess you fine folks have been fighting so I can bring my son into this fine sport.
Our next meeting is Oct 3rd....come on down and bring your son. We can always use more help or support for our cause.

:cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

hemi wrote:Thanks motorEd,wow you ain't kidding things have changed, I remember riding out at IG when it was still Wilson lease land back when people still lived in the cabin.
Shame but I guess you fine folks have been fighting so I can bring my son into this fine sport.
the cabin was burned down 2 years ago. Such a shame......

hemi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hemi »

I heard thats what happened, it is a shame.
Hurts people that respect the land.
Is porky still open? restrictions?
Or is that kept hushed so it doesn't turn into another ghost?

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

hemi wrote:I heard thats what happened, it is a shame.
Hurts people that respect the land.
Is porky still open? restrictions?
Or is that kept hushed so it doesn't turn into another ghost?
Yes, comon theme, the mindless acts of a few are hurting all of us.

Porkies is still open, still a beautiful place to ride and camp....changes for this area are coming, but nobody knows what or when :excuse:

:cheers: