Ted Morton called a "rookie"

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Ted Morton called a "rookie"

Post by Hendrix13 »

I see we're not the only ones not happy with our Sustainable Resources minister.

It seems that Premier Ed Stelmach isn't happy with him either.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/ ... ml?ref=rss

I like this quote
"...Denis Ducharme, the Conservative MLA for Bonnyville-Cold Lake, to call Morton a "rookie."..."

Perhaps now is a good time to remind our Premier that voters are not impressed with how he has been handling OHV land access issues.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

you are reading this in the wrong context. Morten approved the seismic because he feels the science is there to allow for the sustainable use of the lands to extract oil. He made the only decision his department had. Ralph's government sold the rights to produce oil from under the lake. That junior company has now lost the potential to produce 2 billion barrels of oil at $75US per barrel. Even after you take production costs out of it this is a tonne of money. The Government will realize the potential cost of this stoppage and the oil company will use the regulatory system to continue forward with their exploration program. Ed is the rookie here.

Morten is allowing access to a pristine area for oil and gas development, this demonstrates that he is more than willing to allow users access into areas under his control, It just has to be done in an appropriate fashion.

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Morton

Post by thumper-darryl »

Whoa- there hendrix13. As someone involved with land use politics, I can tell you that ted Morton has taken the bull by the horns, and is making some good changes to FLUZ areas. Things may go sideways at any time, but so far he has been very supportive to responsible OHV use. I have a bad feeling about Mclean, as it is getting so badly beat that a solution is difficult.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Whoa-there Thumper... Are we now OK with all the OHV Land closures that Morton has imposed?
If you have some positive news from the Morton camp, could you please bring me up-to-date. Cause I'm a little confused.
It seems to me Morton is quick to implement his own agenda with a complete disregard for anyone else. He doesn't even have the support of his own boss (thus the article).

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Hendrix13 wrote:Whoa-there Thumper... Are we now OK with all the OHV Land closures that Morton has imposed?
If you have some positive news from the Morton camp, could you please bring me up-to-date. Cause I'm a little confused.
It seems to me Morton is quick to implement his own agenda with a complete disregard for anyone else. He doesn't even have the support of his own boss (thus the article).
I should be more knowledgable about this, but I believe Morton became a MLA after the whole Ghost closures were implemented.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

crazy2wheeler wrote:
I should be more knowledgable about this, but I believe Morton became a MLA after the whole Ghost closures were implemented.
Its Willow Creek that Teddy kneejerked on and now Maclean Creek is in his path of ignorance as seen in this article:
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/new ... 65&k=57121
and so on and so on and so on......
There is ZERO recognized singletrack trails in Indian Graves/Willow creek. Yes, there are 2 AWESOME loops that are CLOSED :crybaby: . They the government (Teddy's office) think Waiporous is great! Not for singletrack and not for 4x4's. Maclean will be the next QUAD nirvana. That does worry me...a lot.
My opinion of an ignorant knee jerk reaction government, not a criticism of any one of us users.
Tom
:cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Correct me if I'm wrong SpinalGuy, but I didn't think there were any restrictions on bikes in Indain Graves/Willow Creek. The restrictions were placed on trucks and large ATVs (such as side by sides) based on weight. What are you talking about when you speak of the two awesome, but closed loops?

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Cedric,
There are 2 well known but also forgotten singletrack XC courses in that area. If you begin to ride either one you will hit a TRAIL CLOSED to motorized vehicles. Teddy has never inspected these trails just like Blackwood and Coutts never inspected any of the singletrack trails in Waiporous. They just choose to ignore them and subsequently close them...ALL.
In Teddys wonderful 800lb restriction (no side by side quads) of Willow creek, he did not even seek out what trails should be opened (ie xc courses) as they were already closed before his reign. My commentary is that Teddy is not making good changes to FLUZ zones unless you are part of the Quad nirvana.
Tom
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Willow Creek

Post by thumper-darryl »

The only restrictions in the Willow Creek FLUZ is the 800 Lb limit. And the Willow Creek FLUZ is still considered one of the best land use changes to date. Morton took office after the Ghost P.O.S was introduced, and is well aware of the problems with it. Recreation Corridors getting back on track this fall, NOHVCC are doing workshops for SRD and Ghost Stewardship committee members this fall. So future changes should be better than many in the past.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Willow Creek

Post by MotorEd »

thumper-darryl wrote:The only restrictions in the Willow Creek FLUZ is the 800 Lb limit.
spinalguy wrote:There are 2 well known but also forgotten singletrack XC courses in that area. If you begin to ride either one you will hit a TRAIL CLOSED to motorized vehicles.
Ok I am confused, if there is only the 800lb limit then why is this trail closed to motorized vehicles? :excuse:

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

trails

Post by thumper-darryl »

The last time we talked to SRD about Willow creek, there were no trails closed, other than a restriction along one creek. But we are seeing signs popping up all over the province put up by anti-OHV people. Not official.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Re: trails

Post by MotorEd »

thumper-darryl wrote:The last time we talked to SRD about Willow creek, there were no trails closed, other than a restriction along one creek. But we are seeing signs popping up all over the province put up by anti-OHV people. Not official.
Cool, it would be great if someone could snap a pic of what these signs look like to help us know which are real and which are BS.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Darryl and Brad,

These 2 trails are officially closed. i have pics but i prefer to not share them. These trails were closed before Teddy kneejerked the entire area. But indeed they do exist and they are official closings. i will not divulge the locations.
My only point was that yet again the SRD closes entire groups and/or areas without even seeing what they are closing.
When Maclean comes up for review, it will be the trails that exist on the AURS maps (taken from somewhere else years ago?) that will remain MAYBE open and all else will be closed. And if i am a gambling man, 1/2 of the singletrack recognized trails will be closed. Remember the 'non existing' government trail off 940/HV junction? The government made it complete with signed test sections and they swear it does not exist...
Vote Teddy out. Vote someone that may actually traverse the trails IN.
Tom

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Spinalguy wrote:Darryl and Brad,

These 2 trails are officially closed.

Ok Paco, one says it is, one says it is not. Guess I have to go ride for myself and see. Havent been to Indian for over a year, maybe its time to go check it out.....I'll bring my camera.

:cheers:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I can show you where one of the trails is with the no motorized vehicle signs. I believe it is controversial because of the inaccurate way that the boundaries for Don Getty are published. And I believe that some people say that historical trails in Don Getty are supposed to remain open and others say the opposite.