Ted Morton called a "rookie"

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Brad,
the reason i can not share the trails publicly is the same reasons i try not to ever name the areas we ride in through my pics and videos. Why? i have 100% distrust of Teddy and company. My thought is that if they do not know where they are than they might just leave us the heck alone. If we share all the GPS'ed trails, it could be another Waiporous. i hope that they actually go walk the trails starting with IG to inventory them and than tell us with educated reasoning why particular trails will be or are closed. More importantly, they may allow us to correct a trail so it can remain open. Will it be hard work for them and us? Yes, but our kids and grandkids future depends on it. The Herald story scares the heck out of me with Ricky B stating the success of Willow might have to be followed in Maclean. May Long is the worst and if Teddy sat and did nothing in Willow until after the summer, he may have seen what we all know...May Long is a disaster.
And forget about the obvious answer...
ENFORCEMENT not OBSERVATION.
Somehow its ok to put golf courses in CLOSED areas but not hardpacked non ecologically sensitive trails. :excuse:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

trails

Post by thumper-darryl »

Controversial is one way of putting it. There are lots of signs in wrong locations, and SRD hopes to get that corrected next year. But an ongoing problem in all areas is people moving or taking down signs, and putting up their own. I have 3 different versions of the Don Ghetty map, and thay vary a LOT. The D.G plan permits use of traditional trails but there is no agreement of what is traditional trails. We have been discussing this with Gov. with no sesolution yet.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

I think the point is that it's clear to everyone the only goal of the SRD is to systematically shut down all OHV access to the public.

Now before I get on my soapbox, I want to say that I really do appreciate all the hard work that volunteers are doing to keep our trails open. Either through trail maintenance or working with the SRD and government to work out a solution. Without all your efforts we would truly have no voice. Keep up the good work !!!

Having said that, we need to know what the SRD's policy is for protecting OHV access. What everyone has witnessed is the systematic closing of access to OHV land in a completely hostile approach. I believe it's the SRD's long term strategy to close ALL access for OHV to ALL public land. That's right..no where to ride. I think they knew exactly what they were doing shutting down Wypress. They knew people would be forced into smaller areas which would cause more destruction thus giving more weight to there decisions to shut down more access and so on until there is nothing left.

The environmental foot print left by OHV to the environment is a drop in the bucket when compared to Logging, Commercialization, and Industry. You don't have to be a scientist to see it. Just look at the Rocky Mountains using Google earth.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&ge ... &z=12&om=1
(Those green squares are clear cut logging)

They don't log where we ride (much)..and you can't see any trails from even the biggest 4x4 track. But go north a bit and look at the destruction from just clear-cut logging. How can anyone look at this and blame OHV for over use??? How can anyone look at this and say "better shut down those May long weekend parties"??? How can anyone look at this and say "Better shut down some bike trails" ??? It just doesn't make sense!!

The logical thing to do would be to open up MORE access for OHV!!!
When more people come to a city (ie Calgary) they don't close all the roads and shut down businesses...
If too many people are using a small area and causing damage. Isn't the reasonable thing to do is make that area everyone has to use... Bigger!!
When more people go to a SKI hill they don't shut down the runs. They make MORE runs.

Something else is going on here with the SRD.
I feel we are just negotiating our demise.
The SRD isn't even considering opening more land... The SRD isn't even considering opening more trails.

At best we are organizing to work with the SRD to devise a solution that will lead to the eventual closure of all OHV access!!!

The SRD are just doing it a little bit at a time. Maybe close a trail here, an 800lbs limit there, put up a couple signs, bring in the media on may long, and eventually, close everything....

Send a message and vote Ted OUT !!!

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

land advocacy

Post by DirtGirl »

hendrix,
I think you should run for a land advocacy director position with the club. You have the fire!!!!!!!!!!!

See you at the meeting!

Lisa
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

bnine

Re: Morton

Post by bnine »

thumper-darryl wrote: I can tell you that ted Morton has taken the bull by the horns, and is making some good changes to FLUZ areas. Things may go sideways at any time, but so far he has been very supportive to responsible OHV use. I have a bad feeling about Mclean, as it is getting so badly beat that a solution is difficult.
Really? Adopting 1 half of a states policy and implementing with no consultation to user groups is a good change?

He cut and pasted 1 paragraph from a very organized, permit based user program and called it a fix.

If he is so supportive of responsible user groups, why did he include the only volunteer association that worked heavily in willow creek in his recent blanket ban based on weight in IG? Where were you when we stood there handing out garbage bags while teenagers fingered and hucked garbage at us?

Where were you and ted when we cleaned 10 tons of trash out of IG after may long? Nearly 100 quaders and riders rode past us on the IG trail on the saturday, and we had 2 of them help us clean. On the other hand, there was 12 CJA volunteers out of less then 20 that camped that weekend. Not to mention we actually camped in Savanna, not IG.

Where is his co operation and support of us Darryl?

WHERE!!!!?????

Or do you mean, he didnt ban your bike, so therefore that validates your statement?

Newsflash, you and yours are not the only reponsible user group in this province. There are many of us who are responsible users and we have been shut out by Morton and his kneejerk policies.

I am so tired of reading forked tong dribble out of your mouth, sticking up for a politician that has no regard for anything but votes, and less then a lick of common sense.

Simply put, we are victims of PM campaign publicity drive. Free publicity for Mortons next pull at the PM position.

People seriously need to clue in. You sticking up for him everytime someone isnt blowing sunshine up his backside certainly doesnt help.

Dragon997
Writer
Writer

Post by Dragon997 »

Wow! Bnine, you need to lay of the coffee.

If you are that charged up about it, RUN FOR PUBLIC OFFICE.

LET, ME BE VERY CLEAR ON ONE POINT.
Darryl Copithorne, has been at events handing out garbage bags and picking up trash.
He has spent more of his time on land use issues than anyone I know and you have NO FREAKING RIGHT TO CHALLENGE WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR THE OHV RIDING IN ALBERTA.

Your attacks are unwarranted and misguided.

And if you are unhappy with the way he is representing you and your associations.
Get someone you trust to spend half thier free time going to meeting.
I will bet that your not that commited! You just like to stand on the side of the road and hand out garbage bags.
Then put post on the forum, how great you are and nobody else is doing anything.

I for one will stand beside Darryl Copithorne and what he has done for us the OHV community.

Johnathan 606-0505
09 KTM300XCW
05 CRF250X
08 KLR 650
08 DL1000
TTR125 x2
TTR110 for sale

bnine

Post by bnine »

I'll assume you just dont know any better Johnathan, and leave it at that.

Dragon997
Writer
Writer

Post by Dragon997 »

What a ridiculous comment.

You can assume what ever you like.

Let me tell you Mr. Bnine, I have been involved in the OHV industry and issues for over 15 years.
You dont need to challange me.

It seems you have just recently acquired a passion for offroad issues, where have you been before this? You have no right to be taking shots at the people charged with representing the OHV community.

You dont validate your argument by sticking your head in the sand.
And I will leave it at that.

Johnathan
09 KTM300XCW
05 CRF250X
08 KLR 650
08 DL1000
TTR125 x2
TTR110 for sale

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

We all know there are issues to work out. Pointing fingers and playing the blame game gets us all further behind the 8 ball.

Doesnt appear to be anything constructive coming from the remnants of this thread...so its done.

Now locked.