Premier wants more rec areas

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Dragon997
Writer
Writer

Premier wants more rec areas

Post by Dragon997 »

Hello Everyone

I was camping with family and friends in Kookanusa on the May long weekend.
It was disappointing to hear that they will be closing down trails in that area.
But moving on.

After we came home and heard about the destruction and then Mr. Morton's response. I was devastated.
But, SRD had to expect it, I'm sure. I could see it coming!
Close an area and people aren't going to stop OHVing or Partying for that matter, they are just going somewhere else.

When I tell people that as a family we dirt bike its embarrassing. I'm thinking do they classify us with the idiots that make the news?

I was thinking is this the last of OHVing in Alberta?

Then I read this attached article in Fridays Calgary Sun. On page 32, I might add, not front page news I guess.

Premier wants more rec areas.

It got me to thinking, maybe all is not lost.

That's why I am writing this letter. A little long winded , I'm sorry!

My thoughts: If the premier wants more rec areas, instead of creating new ones, give us back the existing trails that were taken away without consultation.
That seems easiest and most manageable. REOPEN EXISTING TRAILS!

This should be the first step in new rec area.
We have given SRD reason to open new trails, with building bridges over sensitive waterways. Now if we can just stop the cows from defecating and walking through the streams.
Also with the large amount of trails that have been GPS it should be a relatively easy project to create a new map with more trails.

Two more thoughts then I am done.

How about the trails in the Ghost/Waipourus are open unless marked CLOSED. Stick to the trails. If its closed, its closed. Easier to manage for SRD.

Or as we talked about before a OHV park in The Ghost/Waiporous area.

I know all the key people have put a lot of time and effort into this. But we have seen no progress in getting trails back and absolutely no communication on the efforts put forward.

That is why I am suggesting another ALL CLUB MEETING, with the AOHVA and other associations involved to inform us on what has happened and where are we going.

I feel strongly the time is now to put the pressure on Mr. Stelmach to live up to his words.

Respectfully

Johnathan Langley/ Motovan Corporation.
Attachments
more rec areas.pdf
(104.49 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
09 KTM300XCW
05 CRF250X
08 KLR 650
08 DL1000
TTR125 x2
TTR110 for sale

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

I'm with you Johnathan! I am hesitant to tell people we are off-road riders after that f&*$'n mess left in the areas last weekend.

My son Ian was on a grade 9 class trip to McLean last Thursday. The guides and teachers were lamb-basting the off-highway riders for the mess left in the bog areas. They were blaming motorcyclists for the huge rutts. Ian was trying to explain that we belong to a club that is into preservation of the riding areas and that the distruction is not all two wheelers nor people in organized clubs. He went on to explain that we're out there cleaning up trails and distruction from the long-weekend partiers. All fell on deaf ears....of course they were out there on an environmental field trip. But the teachers, parents on the trip and guides really hammered him about how off-highway vehicle use MUST STOP! It's kinda like some socialite from downtown Toronto, or New York, who get a forum to stop Elk hunting and the next thing you know is we have an over abundance of Elk and disease from over population. :blah: :blah:

Bottom line is, like you say, clubs unite, represent and help SRD keep these riding areas open. Trail stewartship, self-policing and education of newbies to the sport. Its to often the case that people just don't know any better because they haven't been told what the rules are...ie. stream crossing not stream running. :blah: off I go on the soap box. We have the same sludge going in at one of our resorts where we have a beach property. People are running their golf carts along in front of our place on the beach simply because they're new and don't know any better. I've been temped to put out spike belts but now have opted for rockpiles.

We won't stop the long-weekend distruction, thats for SRD and park wardens to take care of. Personally, we stay the hell out of there on long weekends...to dangerous. This last one at McLean started Wed night when Ian and I were out riding....the beer toting campers on 4 wheels that were at it just screaming up and down the main road....and listen, I know a buch of 4 wheel guys that play by the rules. I'm not sure what the answer is but if we get with SRD there'll be enough smart people in the room to figure out how to put the controls in place so we don't loose ground and that we set rules for trail ownership, stewartship and the establishment of new single-track.

My 3 cents worth :cheers:
Gord (Hammer)
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

DYsLeXIC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DYsLeXIC »

Great thoughts Johnathan, I think key word is united....one main body that we can funnel money and resources into....clubs are great, but too scattered......we have no lobby power currently....and this environmental thing is waaaaaaaaay outtta control in Alberta....
07 KTM 250 XCF-W
04 Yamaha WR250F (Stolen)
03 Honda XR50 for my 6 year old

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

DYsLeXIC wrote:Great thoughts Johnathan, I think key word is united....one main body that we can funnel money and resources into....clubs are great, but too scattered......we have no lobby power currently....and this environmental thing is waaaaaaaaay outtta control in Alberta....
I agree about the size of the group being relevant, and the key importance of having a unified message. But let's be clear that lobbying isn't about numbers or the size of the group - it's about having someone actually LOBBYING MLA's, MP's and other government officials.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Dragon997
Writer
Writer

Post by Dragon997 »

Derek

I think we do have people lobbying and talking to the people who can make changes.
Are they being effective? who knows!

They are the thin edge of the wedge and have most of the resources.
The thick end of the wedge is most club members.
I am looking for more info for to trickle down to the thick end.

The clubs really are starting to pull together.

Hope this makes sense, I havnt had enough coffee yet!

Johnathan
09 KTM300XCW
05 CRF250X
08 KLR 650
08 DL1000
TTR125 x2
TTR110 for sale

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

Gord-how about starting with the folks that were "trying to educate your son and others " that day- it has to be approached there as well! :attention:
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!