Next on the Hitlist....Indian Graves

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
DYsLeXIC
Contributor
Contributor

Next on the Hitlist....Indian Graves

Post by DYsLeXIC »

Remember the hubbub about the amount of damage and campers in Waiprous, then all the closures...well, Indian Graves was on the news. Our environmental minister was having a look on Saturday (if I recall) by helicopter at the amount of campers and damage.....here we go again. Plastered on the news were burnt vehicles, lots of RVs and mud mud mud on trucks, dirtbikes and quads.....you know the story, focus on the poop and drop by on the busiest weekend of the year....flyby on a weekday and see how many people are out there.....

:buttkick:
07 KTM 250 XCF-W
04 Yamaha WR250F (Stolen)
03 Honda XR50 for my 6 year old

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

We have know they will be implementing management plans in all riding areas for quite awhile now. After watching and reading all the stories in the news of the long weekend partying I have to agree that something must change. 5000 people in one area is just too much and of course you have the small number of people that think its total anarchy in the bush and tada! cars get turned over and set on fire. I dont know what the solution is :excuse: How do you get rid of the irresponsible few? :excuse: The likely answer from Government will be to shut the areas down....problem solved? Nope, but thats the easy solution. And in the process...the responsible users get punished...go check out the Porkies race site today....I bet it looks almost like it did a few weeks ago...and I bet in a few more days it will look cleaner than it did before the race.

Its unfortunate that the knee jerk reaction will be to shut the areas down....GAMP is a perfect example. I totally agree with a management plan though....the abuse that goes on out there on long weekends has to be stopped, but closing our trails is not the answer. :excuse:

:cheers:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

It's the rearholes that just go to get drunk and never leave the campsite that cause most of the problems but the gov't will see it as a blanket fix and close these areas to responsible users !?!?! WR Dave :banghead:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

onthemain
Writer
Writer

here is an idea

Post by onthemain »

maybe the government should implement a minimum age of 21 for camping without a parent or legal guardian present ?since most of the problems (not all ) are caused by kids barely old enough to drive :excuse: :excuse:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I'm not one to encourage more rules and regs, but these once a year incidents are costing the rest of us our recreation areas. What if there was something similar to a fishing licence in place for off highway users. No licence and they take your bike, truck, fine you, put you in the slammer , whatever. There needs to be some consequences to get this sort of thing to slow down. My .02 -- WR Dave. :confused:

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

long weekend mayhem

Post by DirtGirl »

this kind of bad behavior has been going on for many many years. I can recall it starting to get bad about 1987 or so in the Waiparous area and just escalating from there.
You guys are right it the young kids, grad parties and the once a year campers that make the rest of us look bad. It is too bad that the media can't portray it in such a manner that would clearly show who the trouble makers are!!! Or show the responsible users in the same news piece.
:bonk:
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

The wonderful government.
i am so bitter because we KNEW that with GAMP all but closing Waiporous was going to push the user groups to other areas.
Indian Graves was prime real estate.
Maclean, i imagine was even more crowded.
So, IG will be the next target. Where will users go than? Dutch Creek.
You see the trend?
Its time we, ALL USERS, start to work together and make some noise with our MLA's. OHV is a BIG business and we spend lots of $$$.
TK
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

onthemain
Writer
Writer

gone

Post by onthemain »

gone
Last edited by onthemain on Tue May 22, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i just finished reading the various local OHV websites.

It appears as though the biggest abuser group is grad parties and young people that are there to camp and party.

There are 2 bikers missing in IG.
There are 2 jeeps missing from Four Wheel Stampeders. Responsible users. They were on the N-S 'truck trail' that takes you from the start of IG to Livingstone campground. They never arrived home Sun night.

Calgary Jeep Association (CJA) handed out garbage bags and info sheets on Friday at IG. They went out Monday for a clean up of the area. They will be out again Saturday.

There are also 4x4 community clean-ups at Maclean and Waiporous this weekend.

SRD is aware of the 4x4 community being proactive. They are also aware of RMDRA's trail cleaning this and next weekend.

Lets stick together and help as much as we can to keep our areas open.
There has been talks of a user fee system. We should all support it. It might deter the grad party groups and one time long weekend abusers that the media makes it play like the OHV community is the problem. There is a small factor of OHV abusers but the responsible users are in abundance.

TK :cheers:

edit***
Search and Rescue and 4x4 club members have found the jeep folks. i do not know the details but they are all safe.
i have no update on the missing riders.
Last edited by Spinalguy on Tue May 22, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

After the mess that was left out in our riding areas this past weekend it didnt take long for comments like this to appear....
“By the Labour Day long-weekend we’ll have something in place that minimizes some of the negative things that went on this weekend,” says Sustainable Resources minister, Ted Morton.

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

MotorEd wrote:After the mess that was left out in our riding areas this past weekend it didnt take long for comments like this to appear....
“By the Labour Day long-weekend we’ll have something in place that minimizes some of the negative things that went on this weekend,” says Sustainable Resources minister, Ted Morton.
Ok, that being said....cant stress enough the importance of filling out this survey and be sure to include comments.
http://surveys.praxis.ca/luf_workbook/i ... ?mode=test

TrialsPaul
Writer
Writer

Post by TrialsPaul »

There is an article about Indian Graves featuring Morton in today's Herald (Page A4). Looks like change is coming.
Attachments
Morton IG.PDF
(147.21 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Instructor - Offroad Motorcycle Training Institute (providing offroad training in Alberta)
http://www.offroadmotorcycletraining.ca

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Thanks for scanning Paul. I don't get the paper but it was good to read first hand instead of just the comments from others that have read it. :cheers:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I'm actually impressed that he didn't want to stop the boggers from playing, just give them a different place to do it. Does that mean there is hope for this guy in this capacity :excuse: WR Dave.

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

I.G & Dutch

Post by thumper-darryl »

Big picture.
A couple years back SRD assured all the stakeholders that there would not be any user displacement due to GAMP. 2006- HUGE increase in users in I.G & Dutch with a lot of impact due to irrisponsible use of OHVs and general camping. SRD did not lay any charges for land use damage. The free-for-all was so successfull last year, so lets do it again and bring our friends. So SRD knew it was going to be bad, so why not bring out the media and the Minister. Lack of enforcement last year caused this years wreck. Easier to close areas rather than enforce existing regulations.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty