ALBERTA LAND...PLEASE READ!!!!

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

A common viewpoint from those that attended the Land Use Framework meetings is that we have no representation on the committee.

I also received an email that shows similar information:

One of the things in one report I read was rather disturbing & basically says that we have no input. Open the following link
http://www.landuse.gov.ab.ca/docs/LUF%2 ... cument.pdf & go to page 30 of 46, 4th paragraph under Challenges & here is what is says,

" The recreation community operates primarily with volunteers and lacks a common voice. This impacts its capacity to participate in planning and policy initiatives."

So they are basically saying that nothing we do matters & that we better get a common voice & find out who has the most knowledge of the issues so we can have a voice. Otherwise we might end up riding bicycles!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who would make a "Voice" for us??

If you send an e-mail to Majordomo@gov.ab.ca & put "subscribe srd.web" as in the e-mail below you will get an update every 2 weeks as to what is going on with the land use issues.

Cody Matus
618-3556

Dragon997
Writer
Writer

Post by Dragon997 »

Hendrix

Awesome post.

There are people who are speaking for us.
But we need to have a more united voice.

I thinks its time for the rest of us to stand up and be counted,also.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I attended, both days and filled out the survey. Anyone, else?

Johnathan
09 KTM300XCW
05 CRF250X
08 KLR 650
08 DL1000
TTR125 x2
TTR110 for sale

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Dragon997 wrote:Hendrix

Awesome post.

There are people who are speaking for us.
But we need to have a more united voice.

I thinks its time for the rest of us to stand up and be counted,also.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I attended, both days and filled out the survey. Anyone, else?

Johnathan
Johnathan,
i attended the framework open house in Calgary this week
We have no bike or 4x4 representation at the table for the framework projects. i have this confirmation from Dave Borutski of SRD who is responsible for the committee members that sit at the table. There is a snowmobile rep and a quad rep. They are the voices for all motorized users. Quads are no voice for us. Good for them, not for us.

This is the harsh reality.
The survey is horrible. If you look at some questions they ask what would you sacrifice (in order of priority) in order for other things to flourish, recreational activity is NEVER even a consideration.

We are in big trouble. Please fill out this survey.

i will work with Dave Borutski to get the names of all user groups that are at the table. 800 invites were sent to all groups in Alberta.
My question?
Did RMDRA receive one?
Did Second Gear receive one?
Did AURS?
Did A4WDA?
Did AOHVA........? YES and they are at the table but they are a primary quad user group.

TK
:cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Get the word out.

Post by Hendrix13 »

I feel the more pressure we put on the government the harder it will be to ignore us. As far as I know there is a Hare Scramble at McLean Creek on June 10th. I was wondering if race organizers would allow us to hand out phamplets encouraging all the riders to submit their LUF workbook. The deadline is June 15 so there's not much time. Anyone know who would be a good person to contact for this?

Also, does anyone know what our local bike shops are doing to support this? I would also like to post something at each of the bike shops in Calgary to get more people involved. Thoughts??

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Hendrix13,

Good idea. "Dobi" from the forum is running the race. I think it would be a good idea if you had the pamphlets ready they could be handed out at sign in.

Dragon997
Writer
Writer

Post by Dragon997 »

Hendrix

I love that "purple haze" song you did. LOL.

I can speak for what the local dealers are doing.
For the last 16 years I have worked in the Motorsports industry.
And had the support of the Alberta Motorsports Retailers to get a seat at the GAMP stewardship commitee.
Which was denied by SRD.

The dealers have no voice in the meetings!

The dealers support the clubs and assc. by paying money from every unit being sold to the MMIC.
Who in turn fund the AOHVA. I know a lot of acronyms.

The dealers also support the clubs with sponsorship for races and events.

I would be nice to see a retail dealer assc. who would fight for us to keep areas open.

That just wont happen.
The dealers are so busy,understaffed and in competition with each other.

Again, they do support us with dollars.

Are your dollars well spent? Well thats a question up for debate.

Me personally, I would like to see more for my dollars.

In the way of communication, newsletters, meetings, goal setting, follow up, open forums, etc,etc.

Johnathan/Motovan 606-0505
09 KTM300XCW
05 CRF250X
08 KLR 650
08 DL1000
TTR125 x2
TTR110 for sale

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Finished my survey. How about the rest of you? It's important.

:banana:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I have finished my report, it took a period of 2 days, but it is done.

Hendrix, You are more than welcome to bring literature to hand out at the race. Bring at least 125 handouts to the sign in table and I will ensure they get out.

Mike

Novo
Writer
Writer

Post by Novo »

Well, the survey falls short on many fronts, but it is a start. The more members who fill it out the better.

May help to increase the response rate if we provided a link to the survey (at least until the 15th) on the land advocay and home pages.

:cheers:

PeterM
Writer
Writer

Post by PeterM »

Completed
888 KTM

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Ok this is what I have so far. It's all the information I could fit onto one page. Not much formatting so it's not too pretty.

I tried to publish the document on Google so try this link out for the formatted version.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd785jqh_0j2c64q

If I'm missing something or if it's too much, or if I suck and you can do better, please let me know so I can make the changes ASAP.

Who should I ask for at the race to hand this out? Is it possible to give it to someone on Friday or Saturday morning? I won't be there till Sunday.

Thanks for all your help...

Here's the plain text version
----------------------------------------------
Alberta Government
Land-use Framework
Your chance to be heard!

Did you know that the Alberta Government is working right now to create regulations regarding your access to public land in Alberta

The Government is looking for public feedback on this issue that will affect all OHV use of public land

Please fill out the Land-use Framework (LUF) workbook and let the Government know that you want a voice in this process.
http://surveys.praxis.ca/luf_workbook

The deadline for public feedback is June 15, 2007

The Alberta Government will have completed the Land-use Framework before the end of this year so do not delay in completing this workbook

For more information Albertans can check the LUF web site at www.landuse.gov.ab.ca
Email: LUF@gov.ab.ca
Call toll free 310-4455

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Hendrix13 wrote:Ok this is what I have so far. It's all the information I could fit onto one page. Not much formatting so it's not too pretty.

I tried to publish the document on Google so try this link out for the formatted version.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd785jqh_0j2c64q

If I'm missing something or if it's too much, or if I suck and you can do better, please let me know so I can make the changes ASAP.

Who should I ask for at the race to hand this out? Is it possible to give it to someone on Friday or Saturday morning? I won't be there till Sunday.

Thanks for all your help...

Here's the plain text version
----------------------------------------------
Alberta Government
Land-use Framework
Your chance to be heard!

Did you know that the Alberta Government is working right now to create regulations regarding your access to public land in Alberta

The Government is looking for public feedback on this issue that will affect all OHV use of public land

Please fill out the Land-use Framework (LUF) workbook and let the Government know that you want a voice in this process.
http://surveys.praxis.ca/luf_workbook

The deadline for public feedback is June 15, 2007

The Alberta Government will have completed the Land-use Framework before the end of this year so do not delay in completing this workbook

For more information Albertans can check the LUF web site at www.landuse.gov.ab.ca
Email: LUF@gov.ab.ca
Call toll free 310-4455
Hendrix, your enthusiasm is TOP NOTCH!! and very much appreciated :applause: :applause: :applause:

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Hendrix13 wrote: Who should I ask for at the race to hand this out?
You can track down any of the RMDRA crew at the race....look for Mike Dobovich, he is our race director. We should have some stuff at the sign-in table and you are more than welcome to add any info. Hopefully we can get someone to mention this at the race meeting as well :cheers:

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Survey Done

Post by Hammer »

Ditched my rant on survey content and process in favour of staying positive. Thanks for the good news DiamondDave about Morton's intent.
Last edited by Hammer on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

DIAMOND DAVE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by DIAMOND DAVE »

Hey folks. Stay positive and get those survey's done!

Here's a few things that Ted Morton has to say. Now is the time to push and make some change. We are getting noticed!!!

The Speaker: The hon. Member for Drayton Valley-Calmar,
followed by the hon. Member for Edmonton-McClung.
Off-highway Vehicle Use

Rev. Abbott: Well, thank you, Mr. Speaker. There seem to be growing numbers of irresponsible off-highway vehicle users in Alberta. Unmitigated OHV use can create significant damage to our public lands and could ultimately spoil this form of recreation for responsible OHV users. My questions are for the Minister of Sustainable Resource Development. What is his department doing to protect Alberta’s public lands from this type of damage?

Dr. Morton: Mr. Speaker, the hon. member is correct. The number of off-
highway vehicles has increased dramatically in Alberta. Sales have doubled in the past six years, and the number of registered vehicles has actually gone up by four times. There are many more users out there looking for a place for recreation. Our focus is threefold: education, regulation, and enforcement. I’d be happy to elaborate on any of those.

The Speaker: The hon. member.

Rev. Abbott: Well, thank you, Mr. Speaker. My second question is to the same minister. I understand that you recently met with an OHV organization that promotes responsible use of our public lands. Is it true that these groups have told you about possible damage done to public land near Indian Graves after the May long weekend? If so, how can we stop this?

The Speaker: The hon. minister.

Dr. Morton: Thank you, Mr. Speaker. Indeed, I did go back to Indian Graves on June 2. I’m happy to report that the area was in much better order, and I observed many users enjoying the area for camping and off-highway vehicles in a responsible manner. I’d liketo make it clear on the record that many Albertans who use off-highway vehicles do so in a very responsible manner and care about Alberta’s public lands. These groups were just as upset as I was and many Albertans were about what happened on the May long weekend. These responsible off- highway vehicle users don’t want to be tarnished by the irresponsible behaviour of others.

The Speaker: The hon. member.

Rev. Abbott: Thank you, Mr. Speaker. I agree wholeheartedly. Again to the same minister: given that we want our public lands to continue to be used by both motorized and non motorized users, what are these responsible OHV groups doing to demonstrate or aid stewardship?

Dr. Morton: Mr. Speaker, these groups have very active and positive programs in our schools that deal with both safety instruction and also with the respect the land message that’s been developed by Sustainable Resource Development. On my June 2 tour I was in the Crowsnest Pass. I had the opportunity to work with the Crowsnest Forest Stewardship Society and also the Quad Squad. They were building a bridge as part of their Ed Gregor Memorial clean-up day. Another group put up a bridge in the Ghost- Waiparous area. Here are two great examples of good Albertans, responsible off-highway vehicle users, out there giving their volunteer time to improve recreational opportunities and protect our natural reserves.