Mclean OHV fire roads, jeep trails, marked trails: clean-up

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
PeterM
Writer
Writer

Mclean OHV fire roads, jeep trails, marked trails: clean-up

Post by PeterM »

Sorry - missed the meeting being in Dallas an all....

Hearing what a disaster zone OHV Mclean Creek is now, and knowing the open channel we have to SRD / AB Gov't surely they must be deploying disaster clean-up for marked trails, jeep roads and quad trail access soon ?

With all the fallen trees, they can never deploy rapid-reaction fire fighting resources over quad trails, jeep roads and marked trails in the current state. By the time they get enough heli-resources, if they can even get them, half the forest will burn down if there's ever a fire.

One lightining strike or spark from falling rocks (no spark arrestors) away from maintained roads in peak fire season, and a large area could quickly ignite & spread. Vast quantities of C02 and noxious gasses would likely blow into Calgary aggravating the lives of tens of thousands of asthma afflicted people.

The risk is compounded with the various pipelines, capped wells, rig sites etc plus the poor wildlife and ranchers' cattle at risk. It's a sorrid vision....and very real risk.

They need to Act Now with their well publicised responsibility to protect Alberta's precious resources. Perhaps A-Channel would be interested in this - they always need content with a story of fear, danger & risk and the public has to be informed.

It's a huge area and all fire roads and access trails are blocked. In the hours it would take then to clear a way through -a few hundred / thousand hectars would go up. They have 4-6 weeks max before fire season hits.

I doubt they have the resources to Act Now - before fire season - being such a huge area.

Let's together with the other OHV clubs and contract clean-up services to the gov't.

$500K-$1MM is a small price to protect Alberta's well publicised precious natural resources, wildlife, flora & fauna etc. The clubs are the only ones available now with enough quads, bikes and muscle to rapidly cover all Mclean creek on short notice - before fire season.

We can get a financial services firm to manage AR & AP.

Speaking as an OHV user, being shut out of huge industrial, O&G & commercial forest zones, we should not feel bad about adding some cash to our assoc balance sheets, while paying club members for quick and diligent action, to help the govt meet their safety and risk control obligations and ourselves.

The guys that were out there yesterday saw zero action and it's at least a 4 week project with lots of resources.

Anyone heard /seen any field resource action from their back-office management / administrators? Perhaps we should call them and the A-Channel? The Panic button needs to be pressed!
888 KTM

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Blow down

Post by thumper-darryl »

Sorry to say the real picture is that SRD is quietly happy about the blow down. Trails that get closed due to flood damage, blow down, what ever, makes SRDs job easier. less open trails for them to manage. Access for fire control is not an issue. If they have a fire they use choppers, or bring in bulldozeres and make route where they NEED them. And sadly in the new provincial budget SRD was actually cut back on funding. Volunteer groups MAY clear designated trails, but at our expense. Funding for projects like this may be available through AOHVA.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

DIAMOND DAVE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Blow down

Post by DIAMOND DAVE »

thumper-darryl wrote:Sorry to say the real picture is that SRD is quietly happy about the blow down. Trails that get closed due to flood damage, blow down, what ever, makes SRDs job easier. less open trails for them to manage. Access for fire control is not an issue. If they have a fire they use choppers, or bring in bulldozeres and make route where they NEED them. And sadly in the new provincial budget SRD was actually cut back on funding. Volunteer groups MAY clear designated trails, but at our expense. Funding for projects like this may be available through AOHVA.
Interesting that you are say that there is no money in the budget. While working with SRD and the Volunteers we have recieved funds to help bridge and do trail repairs. Also some individual clubs are applying for grants from the Government and recieving then for trail projects. SRD is supplying equipement and paying for training/certifactions so we can run it in the trails. Also SRD has asked for a wish list of equipememt that would help aid getting the trails back in to shape, this way they can look at adding it to their budget. Further, parks has stepped up and asked it we could put together some ideas for McLean Creek for a challenge park for ALL users. They have offered funds towards a properly put together plan.

The money is out there. It's how you go about getting it.
Does the AOHVA put any of it membership fee's towards projects? I thought their goal and funds were education? If so, it would be great to find out where or who I should talk to about getting some. I have a ton of things on the go for both Waiparous and McLean. And soon to come Indiian Graves and other areas that need attention.

Help required. Please apply within :cheers:

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

PROJECT FUNDING

Post by thumper-darryl »

Local SRD has done an amazing job freeing up money, when their budget overall has been cut. Parks may be up to helping out with projects since their budget increased a bunch (check out Gov budget news releases). AOHVA has provided project funding via Calgary and Crowsnest pass Quad clubs. Glen french and I have applied for different Gov grants, and some are comming through.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

DIAMOND DAVE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: PROJECT FUNDING

Post by DIAMOND DAVE »

thumper-darryl wrote:Local SRD has done an amazing job freeing up money, when their budget overall has been cut. Parks may be up to helping out with projects since their budget increased a bunch (check out Gov budget news releases). AOHVA has provided project funding via Calgary and Crowsnest pass Quad clubs. Glen french and I have applied for different Gov grants, and some are comming through.
Yes that is very true. Thanks Darrel, I'll take a look at the reports :cheers:

Since I'm part of the Second Gear Club and also working with the Calgary Quad Squad how do I apply for funding from the AOHVA?

:cheers:

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Can i get a chainsaw?? i went out this weekend with Shawn and only made it 5 km's into one of Barwell's ridges and my poulan quit working. i have made a few attempts and then just get slowed up from saw problems. so then i just ditch the saw and go ride. next time i go out with a Stihl.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Big Dog wrote:Can i get a chainsaw?? i went out this weekend with Shawn and only made it 5 km's into one of Barwell's ridges and my poulan quit working. i have made a few attempts and then just get slowed up from saw problems. so then i just ditch the saw and go ride. next time i go out with a Stihl.
AOHVA should buy our club 1/2 dozen chainsaws. They did receive 100,000 dollars, surely they could give us some so we can be proactive?

TK :cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

DonMcKay

Post by DonMcKay »

Garry and I have been busy working on some grant moneys for the Ghost Waiparous area for Crossing upgrades. We are also in the process of getting another one in for some trail repairs.

Don