Challenge Park in McLean?

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
DIAMOND DAVE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Challenge Park in McLean?

Post by DIAMOND DAVE »

Challenge park question. If you have the opportunity to install a challenge park out in the mountains what would you like to see in there?

-Rock course for 4x4 and Quads
-Logs?
-Cement culverts?

How about a Trials section for Trials Bikes or something for mountain bikes?

I’m looking for some feed back on what people would like to see and some ideas.
What ever it is it would have to be sustainable. We may have the opportunity to have parks invest in such activities and invest in the idea IF there is enough interest and users are willing to help look after it.

Also, for the mountain bikers out there what would you say to purpose built and maintained down hill and cross-country trails up and around McLean Creek hill area. Possible, with shuttle service to the top?

Give me a little feed back.

Dave

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I have always dreamed of a trail that is much like an 'A-Line' mountain bike trail, but for dirt bikes. This is basically a wide single track with many jumps along the way, most of them tabletops or double jumps, but nothing too big or crazy.

Would be great to have an area to allow for practicing log hopping, with increasing size logs, a few jumps, some trials type obstacles.

Perhaps an endurocross type course?

As for the mountain bikers, they would love to have more shuttle access downhill trails. Currently most of that occurs at Moose Mountain (across the hwy from McLean). There are not many options in the Calgary area for this - usually we end up going out to Golden to ride Mount 7 there. Any additional places to ride in the area would be welcomed wholeheartedly.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

cedric wrote:I have always dreamed of a trail that is much like an 'A-Line' mountain bike trail, but for dirt bikes. This is basically a wide single track with many jumps along the way, most of them tabletops or double jumps, but nothing too big or crazy.

Would be great to have an area to allow for practicing log hopping, with increasing size logs, a few jumps, some trials type obstacles.

Perhaps an endurocross type course?

As for the mountain bikers, they would love to have more shuttle access downhill trails. Currently most of that occurs at Moose Mountain (across the hwy from McLean). There are not many options in the Calgary area for this - usually we end up going out to Golden to ride Mount 7 there. Any additional places to ride in the area would be welcomed wholeheartedly.
I agree completely...

Thing is. There aren't too many big hills in Mclean for downhill mountain biking... There is potential, but I'd love to see a LONG trail.

Either way, interesting to see that they are looking at differnet options!
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Post by Kwi-Chang »

It would be a great idea to have some sort of area where there was a small moto type course, a trials area, and an enduro/obstacle course in a central located area. Great place to practice and meet up with others. Great fun to do timed practice laps too. Very cool!
It is better to have rode & crashed than to never have rode at all.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

That gravel pit that is just a few kms straight down the road from the staging area near the camper center could be an ideal spot for it as it's already disturbed, has some small hills and can be easily accessed.

DIAMOND DAVE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by DIAMOND DAVE »

One thing that we would have to consider is the size of area. We need to cater to ALL users and of all levels. For sure some forms of obsticles can be added to a plan. Maybe something like a small loop. One thingtha was mentioned in my meeting with Parks was that they would still need access to part of the pit for road crush material. IE: Road repairs.

I have some cool ideas floating around in my head. I would like to maybe get one or two memebers from each community together and sit down and disscuss ideas. From there put the plan together with consideration of short and long term management and costs then submit to parks.

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Post by Kwi-Chang »

Keeping the Quads, 4x4 and the dirtbikers in the same area is mixed blessing. We all need to be inclusive but I think that the areas/courses would need to be grouped together but separated with signs. I think there would be a conflict if there was total freedom for the 4x4's to go into the enduro cross loop etc. Not only would it degrade the obstacles but be dangerous as well.

Lot's to think about but a great idea. It may take some pressure off the trails as well.

porschev
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by porschev »

Neat idea Dave,
Something like cornergrass loop would be really cool.