McLean Creek Diversion Project One

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Amanda
User
User

McLean Creek Diversion Project One

Post by Amanda »

Invite to everyone who has a spare moment or two......

The summer weather will soon be upon us (I hope), and so will the pressure to maintain the areas in Waiparous and McLean.

What do I need? I need YOU!!
I need a minimum of 10 of you, and I need YOU on the weekend of April 21st , for one day.

What do I need YOU for?
To assist with water protection and traffic diversion.

What Exactly is that?

Well, its directing traffic away from a stream crossing onto an already established bridge!
YOU will be helping install fence rails and pounding in posts (if needed).
We are not restricting access to the trail system, only directing it away from a path created due to the flood damage of 2005.

WHERE and WHEN Do I need YOU?
In McLean Creek at the main staging area 9:00AM April 21st.
Depending on how many show up, we may be able to complete two fairly large projects!

Do YOU need to have experience?
NO! Well you do have to be able to hold a hammer and swing.

Materials needed?

Bring a shovel and a hammer, work gloves, pliers and wire cutters!
If you have a sledgehammer bring it as well.

I am also looking for a few volunteers who know how to run a chainsaw and own a quad.

Feel free to contact me directly via Email: A_Morosse@yahoo.ca or phone: 403-669-3202

DIAMOND DAVE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by DIAMOND DAVE »

See you there Saturday. Should only take half a day to complete.

Henry
Writer
Writer

McLean

Post by Henry »

Sorry Amanda, I won't be able to help this time, prior engagement. But you know I would normally be there. Hopefully some other RMDRA/Second Gear Club members can attend. I hope the weather starts to cooperate for all the you and all the other volunteers this weekend. Your time and energy is greatfully appreciated. :nworthy:

:cheers:
Darren
2008 KTM 250xc
http://www.DSAracinglubes.com

Amanda
User
User

Post by Amanda »

Thanks Darren. I think we will be busy enough to keep pretty warm... I hope ;)

See you all out there!

:cheers:

Amanda
User
User

Post by Amanda »

First off, THANK YOU very much to members from the Calgary Quad Squad, Four Wheel Stampeders, Second Gear Club, Calgary Jeep Association, AURS and a couple of independents for coming out for the day! Without your help and dedication, projects like this could not be completed. :D
The sun was shining and it was a perfect day for our 12 hard working volunteers!!

Food provided once again by Siggy of the Second Gear Club! BBQ style this time! ;)

Thank you also to SRD and Parks for supplying posts, rails and other materials to get this completed.

Special thank you to those who came out the weekend and weeks prior to help get this going: Garry, Jim, Dave, Chad and Don.

Two years ago this project was planned but was never completed due to the floods of ’05, finally I can say we have completed the trail diversion project in the McLean Creek main staging area.

Special info: Built in to the South West side of the fence, is a walk-in for foot traffic. We are hoping to see grass RE-established there as it was a few years ago, and as mentioned above a bioengineering project is under way in May for bank stabilization and erosion control.

There are more projects out there and I hope to see YOU at the next one!

Note: We have temporarily left a section unfenced for future use, but have put up posts up in the mean time, please use the trail access at the South end of those posts.

Help us to help YOU keep your trails open.
Attachments
CIMG0667 (Medium).JPG
(118.06 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
CIMG0672 (Medium).JPG
CIMG0672 (Medium).JPG (103.39 KiB) Viewed 650 times

DonMcKay

Post by DonMcKay »

You only posted 2 pictures Amanda.
I will see if I can add a few.

Don
Attachments
image025.jpg
all done time to relax
(113.96 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Every body working
Every body working
image023.jpg (84.04 KiB) Viewed 598 times
image019.jpg
Stretching the wire.
(103.02 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
setting up the rails
setting up the rails
image003.jpg (83.98 KiB) Viewed 598 times
Who is this Guy? He always seems to be cooking SMOKIES. Thanks for the refreshments Ziggy
Who is this Guy? He always seems to be cooking SMOKIES. Thanks for the refreshments Ziggy
image012.jpg (68.12 KiB) Viewed 598 times