Koocanusa Access

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Koocanusa Access

Post by dirtyboy »

I just received this email from John, so I figured I'd post it for all to read.
Hi everyone. I was out at koocanusa a few weeks ago and noticed new signs posted everywhere in regards to off roading on grasslands. The signs state to stay on existing roads only. I have attached a news release about fines.
It has been broadcast on the radio in Cranbrook that there will be zero tolerance and fines will be issued. The dorr area was mentioned specifically since the head of an environmental group lives in Jaffery. I have e mailed the district manager of the Rocky mountain forest area to find out if random camping is allowed anymore and to what extent off road riding is allowed in the area.
John.
Attachments
Britsh Columbia news release.pdf
News release about BC back country access.
(734.67 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

PeterM
Writer
Writer

Post by PeterM »

I just scanned the Bill 18 2007 ammendment (http://www.leg.bc.ca/38th3rd/1st_read/gov18-1.htm) and it is quite clear the $100K fines and ammendments are aimed at loggers and commercial abuse.

According to curent BC regs (http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/tasb/legsregs/ ... /violr.htm) looks like most fines are in the $115 range. Perhaps with all the various fines available they add up to $100K.
888 KTM

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

This is some info from a 'local'........

Hello Guys Ray here I live here in Grasmere Koocanusa is my back door the signs say to limit your use to already existing trails and roads this means all existing trails and roads no matter how old they are. I have been fighting for this area for years and it seems the main thing they want to do at this point in time is to educate some of the people that come here from all over BC, Alberta And the states just want to make new trails and roads around here, there are miles of existing trails and roads in this area. and yes there is still random camping down here that is one thing that they cant take away from us here.
Ray

Remember last year, they put up all those yellow ribbons along the road to all the hill climbs?
It makes sense as 15 darn hill climbs to the one trail at the top is a thing of the past. Anything created new anywhere in BC or Alberta that is VISIBLE from major trunkroads is now very uncool. We all have to be smarter or we will have nothing but truck trails left open to us.

TK :cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Post by Kwi-Chang »

One of the problems in the Koocanusa area is that the grasslands don't grow back very fast (if at all). It is semi-arid and once a track is made by a bike (or a cow) it takes a long time to repair itself. If you get 50 guys on bikes/quads all doing their own thing then you can imagine the consequences.

After talking with BC Land a couple of years back even random camping should not be considered a God-given right. It is a sign of the times. Everyone needs to be aware and do what they can to keeps these areas in good condition.