Interesting Read from our fellow dirtbikers in BC.

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
DYsLeXIC
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting Read from our fellow dirtbikers in BC.

Post by DYsLeXIC »

07 KTM 250 XCF-W
04 Yamaha WR250F (Stolen)
03 Honda XR50 for my 6 year old

Captain Crash
User
User

Post by Captain Crash »

Thats a well written article and response, i agree with him 100 %. :applause:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

That 'idea' needs to be taken further with how we(bikers) interact with quads and 4x4's on the trail systems. No one group is less responsible than others, just a small percentage of idiot factor in every group. Unfortunately, quads and trucks stick out a bit more when the idiot factor rears its ugly head.
TK :cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I think the biggest differences b/w bikers and quad/truck guys are:

1. It's hard to keep a bike on two wheels when you are drunk, so you just don't see that (plus there's nowhere to attach your cooler)

2. Bikes are not fun to slog through mudpits with. We don't have 4X4 and winches to do the getting unstuck for us.

Before somebody jumps all over me, I realize that there are lots of responsible quadders and 4X4 guys out there, but you just don't see them (or notice them). Probably the same thing that is going on in BC, the hikers and bikers are only seeing (noticing) the idiot dirt bikers.

Being someone who enjoys dirt biking, mountain biking and hiking, I can see all sides on this issue. While dirt biking, I've only a few times came across non-motorized users. I've found that showing a modest amount of respect (slow down, shut down if they have horses or dogs, don't roost them) usually results in a friendly wave. I'm sure it only takes a few meatheads to ruin the hard work of many in this regard.

I've ridden many downhill MTB trails in the area, and they probably get trashed even worse then the dirt bike trails, not to mention the constant construction of death defying stunts all over the place (often constructed by cutting down trees for lumber).

As for hiking, so much of the wilderness around Calgary is protected parks, why even go near the motorized guys? If I want to go for a hike, I"ll go out to K-Country and explore all the areas that I can't ride in.

One final thought I'm having is this:
While I think it's neat that we can ride our bikes down to Elbow Falls, I'm sure all the tourists on the other side don't think so. Personally, I would like to see that trail closed to motorized vehicles. It is doing nothing for the survival of our sport. It won't be long before we start to see 4X4s on the other side of the falls. Any thoughts on this?

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

I agree with you a 100% Cedric. Well written...

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Ryan, i have asked a few officials of SRD to shut down that darn trail to the Falls!!!!
It absolutely hurts our image as only bikes and quads can access that area. Rest assured you will never see a 4x4
in that area as it would require a chainsaw party to make room for 4x4's. i shake my head in disbelief every time i have been to the Falls. Its been quite a while since my last ever visit.
As for your other comments? agreed, as humans tend to focus on the negative few instead of the positive many. Kinda like telling someone about a bad experience at a place of business versus a good experience at a place of business. Maybe if every North American watched "The Secret", this 'law' would reverse itself :D Did you know that the largest volunteer days ever in North America was right here in Waiporous organized by all the 4x4 clubs in Calgary?

What i really think is that strength lies in numbers. If every motorized user banded together and protested trail area closures, banded together to be proactive in making sure trails remained open such as voluntary closures when 'x' mm's of rainfall comes down, re routing trails away from riparian zones, making bridges in sensitive areas, etc than maybe just maybe there will be something left in Alberta for our kids and grand kids to enjoy.
Tom :cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Good article.

Very good points. I especially like the Elbow falls trails closure idea. Why put ourselves on display like that?

I hope no one minds but this thread deserves to be in Land Advocacy.

:cheers:

DYsLeXIC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DYsLeXIC »

This is a better spot for it - great thoughts posted!
07 KTM 250 XCF-W
04 Yamaha WR250F (Stolen)
03 Honda XR50 for my 6 year old