Firearms on public lands....

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Firearms on public lands....

Post by MotorEd »

Just curious if anyone knows the regulations on firearms in our riding areas like Wiaprous, McLean ect. We were out at BarC a couple weekends ago taking the dog for a walk and came across an area that was littered with shell casings, and a pile of garbage ( dozens of diapers, food wrappers, 4L paint cans, and beer bottles, beer cans) it was disgusting. Probably the most concerning thing was the shell casings and the fact this was so close to one of the marked trails out there. We found dozens of .12gauge, .22 shells and a bunch of .45 hand gun shells. These people were obviously target shooting as there were bits of targets still on the trees, broken clay pigions and the blue paint was everywhere...obviously target practice at the paint cans.

Bottom line an absolute disgusting mess left behind. We did find a reciept with a name on it, not sure if SRD or anyone could actually do anything but I am going to call. Its this kind of stuff that gives us all a bad wrap.

Anyway, back to my question....anyone know what the rules are for firearms? is it legal to shoot hand guns out there?

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Restricted firearms , require a gun club membership and can only be transported from the registered address of the firearm to the gun club and back ( no detours--not even a gas stop). Using a pistol at Bar C, Waiporous, or McLean Creek is illegal, but I'm sure it happens alot. Maybe Dakota C69 can add to this info :excuse: . WR Dave.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

BradC
Writer
Writer

Gun use in the forestry...

Post by BradC »

I recently did some research into this, and given the acts I read, people are permitted to dischard firearms in all forest land use zones except those marked as Provincial Recreation Land Use areas. This means that the area around Fisher Creek Day Use, and Maclean Creek Creek Campground are off limits but everything else pretty much is ok. Also, nobody is permitted to fire a weapon of any kind within 100 meters of any road.

With regard to handguns... Well, THIS IS A BIG NO NO!!! I used to own several handguns, and the police are SUPER sticky about the regulations surrounding them. I MEAN SUPER DUPER STICKY.

Example: When you buy a handgun, you have to show the guy at the store, ID, a membership to a licensed range, and an FAC (Firearms Acquisition Certificate). Then he lets you pay. You then have to go to the police station and get a special permit to take the gun from the dealership to the police station, where it can be formally registered, serial number recorded, and barrel length measured. Once there, you get a permit to take the gun from the police station to your house. You also get another permit to take the gun from your house to the range, and yet a THIRD permit to take the gun from the range to your house.

IF YOU TAKE THE GUN FROM YOUR HOUSE THE RANGE, AND STOP AT 7-11 FOR A POP, OR STOP FOR GAS, AND THE POLICE CATCH YOU WITH THE GUN IN YOUR CAR, YOU'RE CHARGED WITH "POSSESSION OF A RESTRICTED WEAPON". It can be either indictable or summary conviction.

How do I know this? Because I was nailed with it. It's such a pain in the a$$ to own a handgun that it's not really worth it. Subsequently I got rid of all mine. If someone were caught firing any type of handgun in an area like Maclean..... wow..... Big poop.

Personally, I've spoken with Roger Meyer at the SRD about discharging firearms in Maclean. It's a death coming down the pipe. There are too many people using that area for yahoos and cowboys to be shooting high powered rifles at trees. He agrees, but right now there's no law preventing it.

That's my two bits for what it's worth.

Brad