everyone must see this!!!

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
DIRTTV
Journalist
Journalist

everyone must see this!!!

Post by DIRTTV »

sent to ROGER MEYER of the alberta government today,

Doug Raffan of dirttv.net passed these photos on to me to illustrate the problem with cattle in the Fallen Timber campground. We all would appreciate it if you could pass this on to CD and ensure that the cattleman – recreationist interface does not become a conflict ground.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Do you think you might get E-Coli from cooking on that stove?!!! :crazy: Feeding cattle in the parking lot is taking a few libertys with what is considered decent conduct . :confused: WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

buggo
Writer
Writer

Post by buggo »

That's pure Bull S**T!
Paul B.
08 250 XC We
Kona
Specialized Enduro Pro

DIRTTV
Journalist
Journalist

Post by DIRTTV »

recieved today at 5:30 pm

I have spoken to the allotment holder once again about this issue, and we are going to clean up the site on Thursday. It should be known that feeding livestock within the Forest Reserve is not supported and especially within PRA's, as mentioned before we will be working with the allotment holder to ensure this will not happen again.

Thanks,

Kevin France
Rangeland Agrologist
M.Sc. Range Ecology & Mgt. B.Sc. Natural Resource Sc.
Rangeland Management Branch
Southern Rockies Region (Calgary)
Sustainable Resource Development
(403) 355-**** (Office)
(403) 860-**** (Cell)

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

must see

Post by thumper-darryl »

The allotment holder responsible, does this, and in the past has put salt for cattle in random camping spots just to be ignorant. A good way to discourage recreational users. Sad.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Re: must see

Post by MotorEd »

thumper-darryl wrote:The allotment holder responsible, does this, and in the past has put salt for cattle in random camping spots just to be ignorant. A good way to discourage recreational users. Sad.
So the 'allotment holder' has done this before, and has done it AGAIN... with what consequence?.....exactly, zip. The off road community on the other hand gets pegged for all the reckless acts that are committed by a token few bone heads and we get trails taken away......oh I see how this system works now. Thank you to all that pushed GAMP through to make the South Ghost a much better place :confused: What a joke. Go back to the drawing board, what you passed down doesnt do what it is supposed to do....and like my 4 year old daughter says.....duh?

I vote for some change PDQ.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

I often wondered how you could run 100's of cattle(or more) through the Ghost watershed and not effect the water quality. What a joke! The allotment holder should receive a huge fine and the clean up bill for the campground

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

He probably wasn't using a dirt bike to do the damage Chuck , so he won't be considered a criminal. :banghead: WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

DIRTTV
Journalist
Journalist

Post by DIRTTV »

someone needs to go there this weekend and take some pictures to see how the clean up was done.

Any volunteers?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

DIRTTV wrote:someone needs to go there this weekend and take some pictures to see how the clean up was done.
Where is there? I wasn't too sure what I was looking at. It's starting to click now. Is that Fallen Timber day area? (East of the campground) And the grazer put straw down across the parking lot to lure the cattle to the cook house?

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

dirtyboy wrote:
DIRTTV wrote:someone needs to go there this weekend and take some pictures to see how the clean up was done.
Where is there? I wasn't too sure what I was looking at. It's starting to click now. Is that Fallen Timber day area? (East of the campground) And the grazer put straw down across the parking lot to lure the cattle to the cook house?
that's what it looks like to me :excuse:

ripandtear
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ripandtear »

My guess is he weaned his calves and likely had some portable panels set up in that area. He would have used the hay to bring the cows into a place where he could load the calves into a trailer such as a parking lot. Its that time of year.........
Terry

2006 KTM 250 XC-W
2003 KTM 250 EXC - sold
04 Yamaha TTR 90 - sold
03Yamaha PW 80

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Not to rain on everyone's parade here, but are we doing ourselves any favors by creating enemies with the cattle guys over a bit of cowshit? I end up with the stuff on my bike/gear every time I ride and have accepted it as part of sharing the land, it's not a big deal. This guy may not give a (I can't type without swearing. The word that I used is one of GC's 7 words that you can not say on television.) about dirt bikes on the land, but after he gets fined and forced to clean up the area, because of OUR actions, he probably won't like dirt bikers too much. Just my $0.02.

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

cow poop

Post by thumper-darryl »

Nothing resulted from our actions. Do you not think that other campers were pleased? How about the camp ground operator? There is no excuse for his actions. All ranchers know the rules. No feeding of animals is allowed in the forestry area ESPECIALLY in a recreation zone like the staging area.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

DIRTTV
Journalist
Journalist

Post by DIRTTV »

Ryan,

I hate to tell you this but all four lease holders in that area hate dirtbikers. They have gone as far as lobbying the government to close the area to ALL users so they could use the land soley for grazing. Its not about fighting cattleman its about being held accountable for mistakes you make in the ghost area. That is the bottom line of our battle in the riding area. does your dog S**t on the sidewalk? if it does you have to clean it up. thats the law! same applies here you cant feed cattle in a public place. Its no different if you drag your couch out the the campground and burn it. you must be held accountable for your actions.
There is no enforcement in the ghost area for anything.

Close the area so you dont have to police it. Brilliant idea, only a politician could dream up!