Atten: Rocky Mountain Dirt Riders

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Done!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Did it too! I think that may be good angle. Everyone, please take 5 minutes and send Mike an email.

:cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I sent my email. Thanks to Mike and all those fighting in the trenches for the rest of us that want to continue to ride. :canada:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Dobi wrote:I sent my email. Thanks to Mike and all those fighting in the trenches for the rest of us that want to continue to ride. :canada:
Dobi, How about sending a letter in to your MLA and cc'ing the other Ministers of SRD, CD, ED, and the Premier? Tell them what you think.

I received 4 responses back to my latest letter. We all have to get involved if we expect to get some quality miles on our KTM's :D

Rockhound
User
User

Post by Rockhound »

I like your approach and support it 100%.

I ride in Ghost about 20 times per year summer and winter, usually with a group of 4 to 6 others. Here are the average numbers per ride;

Breakfast at Smittties or Tim Hortons = $15
Fuel = $75 I usually fill up at the Cochrane Husky because they are always $0.03 - $0.05/ltr cheaper
Other =$5 Coffee, or groceries at IGA on the way home.

Another 6 times per year I do my post race clean-up in Cochrane
Fuel = $75
Laundry = $10
Vehicle, trailer and bike wash = $20

20x($15+$75+$5) + 6x($75+$10+$20) = $2530/yr
Dean
2006 RMDRA Land Advocacy Director
2007 250 XC - Orange Power!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

dirtyboy wrote:
Dobi wrote:I sent my email. Thanks to Mike and all those fighting in the trenches for the rest of us that want to continue to ride. :canada:
Dobi, How about sending a letter in to your MLA and cc'ing the other Ministers of SRD, CD, ED, and the Premier? Tell them what you think.

I received 4 responses back to my latest letter. We all have to get involved if we expect to get some quality miles on our KTM's :D
Don't get me wrong Dirtboy. I send out my fair share of letters and I too hung my lovely responses on the fridge until the wife tore them down (they use nicer stationary than any gas company I know). I meant that I am not ussually able to attend meetings such as the RMDRA, AOHVA meetings or going before town councils such as Mike just because of my job requiring me to be removed from the Calgary area.

I work as a surface land coordinator for an oil/gas company and am in constant contact with Alberta Envrionment, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development, Alberta Community Development, etc. fighting for our rights to drill gas wells all over this lovely province (and the Great Sand Hills of Saskatchewan :banghead: ) I try and put as much pressure on my local representatives/contacts as I possible can and when I have the opportunities to discuss access issues onto crown lands I try and get our side of the story out their (Government persons really respond well to rounds of golf and free food :cheers: ).

I made that comment because I feel persons like Mike (and yourself) that are making the EXTRA effort deserve a pat on the back from all of us, regardless if we are providing hands on help or just supporting the initiative.

It has been a few months since my last round of letters however, so maybe it is good time to spend a few more dollars on stamps.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Dobi,

We are glad of your work too. You obviously have a special insight into how this works from your job. I'm really new to this so it is a bit of an eye opener. :eek: Really, I don't think that the meetings are the important part. We try to keep everyone updated via this site and forum.

The membership (so you can get counted in our numbers) and the letters that you have and will write are very important.

I hope that we can offer a document very soon that will really detail the content of GAMP preview meeting. I know it is almost finalized. Hopefully that will help inform everyone. From what I understand GAMP is scheduled to be finalized in Sept. 2005 so between now and then is critical letter writing time.

:cheers:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

email sent.
Good idea Mike.

There is also this idea that we may revisit to get some donations from this site. Please understand that this is a draft that i whipped together. i think and know it could be better. All suggestions welcomed.

Tom

Here goes:

i just got off the phone with the Calgary Sun. My contact is a ATV enthusiast that spends her vacation time in Waiporous. She has provided me with the best possible rates and time frames as she is sympathetic to our cause.

The Sun offers 4 ads in 4 weeks or 8 ads in 8 weeks. My contact authorized us to place 4 ads in 8 weeks and 8 ads in 16 weeks. This means that an ad will appear evry 2 weeks for 2 mos or 4 mos.

Rates:
The multi ad is the most cost effective regardless of non profit status.

1/2 page announcement/ad
If we run it on M,T,W or R the cost is 1288.32+GST
If F or Sat........................................1330.56+GST
If Sun...............................................1372.80+GST

Now if we do the 4 in 8 or 8 in 16 than just multiply the above prices by a factor of 4 or 8 respectively.
IF we only do 3 or less ads?

The cost is DOUBLED from the above prices.

If we use non profit status with a number, than the cost of 3 or less ads is:
MTWR...$1471.36 +GST
FS.........$1513.60 +GST
Sun........$1534.92 +GST

In my limited advertising with the SUN, i have had lots of success with Wed or Thurs ads.
My opinion is that you will reach a greater target audience thru the Sun vs Herald.

I think that 8 ads every 2 weeks for a period of 4 months would be very effective.
The cost would be $10,306.56 + GST(721.46) = $11,028.02

Now as for the announcement.

ATTENTION ALL CALGARIANS AND SURROUNDING TOWNS

Do you Hunt, Fish, Camp/RV, ATV, Equestrian, Motorbike or 4x4?

DID you know that the Alberta Government has drafted a proposal to shut down 95% of the Ghost Waiporous area by Sept 2005? GAMP.

Did you know that over 70% of all ATV trails will be closed? (As a hunter you will no longer be able to access your area)

Did you know that over 95% of all Bike trails will be closed?

Did you know that over 95% of all 4x4 trails will be closed?

Did you know that over ???% of equestrian trails will be closed? (we need the #'s)

If you Hunt, Fish, or random camp than you too will not be allowed.

Randomn camping will be shut down to less than 10%? of all formerly useable areas.

It may not be too late....this is what you can do.

Write, phone or in person meet with your MLA.
Contact the SRD
Contact the Minister of ????
Contact the Premiers office.

Please help us keep an area open for our chidren and their children for generations to come.

Thank you.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

onthemain
Writer
Writer

Post by onthemain »

sent mine in