Bighorn Country Gov. Survey

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Bighorn Country Gov. Survey

Post by Brass »

I just received an email from the AB Gov asking to take part in a survey regarding management of Bighorn country which will no doubt end up affecting us.

I would like to ask the RMDRA Executive to collectively review this survey and give feedback and guidance to the club members about how to answer the questions within it in such a way that it will work for us and not against us. We all know that surveys can be structured to be leading so that a desired outcome is achieved. Yes I am very cynical, the weatherman and government have made me this way.

If you have taken these surveys in the past you may have also received it. If you did receive the survey email, PLEASE WAIT to complete it until the club Executive gives feedback. The last thing we want to do fall into a trap question that gives them the ammo they need to close down more areas.

Here is a copy of the email I received.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

The Government of Alberta is proposing Bighorn Country as a way to strengthen the existing management of the area. The goal is to ensure safe and positive outdoor recreation and tourism experiences; protect critical headwaters and the environment; and continue to support the opportunities this area provides to Albertans. Bighorn Country includes the designation of a new Wildland Provincial Park and new, expanded or amended parks, recreation areas, and Public Land Use Zones.

The proposed Bighorn Country would support policy integration, direction and clarity needed to help guide decisions that collectively reflect and support the needs and values of Albertans.

Your feedback is important to us as we continue to better understand how our social, environmental and economic values shape conservation and recreation management in Bighorn Country. This is a shared responsibility.

Further information on the proposal and an online survey are available at talkaep.alberta.ca. https://talkaep.alberta.ca/

Comments will be collected until January 31st, 2019.

For enquiries, e-mail: aep.bighorncountry@gov.ab.ca

Thank you for your participation,

Environment and Parks

Alberta-2018

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
The voices are back. Awesome!

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Bighorn Country Gov. Survey

Post by Brass »

Bueller .... Bueller .... Bueller ....
The voices are back. Awesome!

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

I am not an Exec member but there is some good info in here and it answers your question Brass.
Starts at 1:03:00.
https://dirtbikenews.ca/dirtbikenews-ca ... 8-7pm-mst/

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Well, I'll try to assume the role of de facto land use guy :thinking:

This survey for the Bighorn Back country is the end (start? ) of a long, difficult road any OHV group has been down since this current Government came to power. I withheld comment previously, as I really prefer to not get involved in partisan politics; That can be a road to nowhere IMO. The land use frame work for the Bighorn is the Castle all over again. The consultation is a sham, the timelines show they're commited to starting execution, never mind when the feedback session is over; RIGHT NOW!
BighornCountry-InterimProtectionMeasures-Nov30 (1).pdf
(933.75 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
To say I'm beyond frustrated is an understatement. Once upon a time, we used to be a club focused on riding. We had strong relationships within ESRD, and maintained trails as a user funded resource to the Ministry. Since 2015 We have been completely, intentionally, and specifically excluded from all matters related to our use on Public lands. NGOs like Y2Y and other well funded organizations, have been brought into positions as trusted advisers. The elimination of ESRD and transition all of the management of these areas to Alberta Parks has proved most damaging to our cause, and even created rifts in the ministry.

We are the intended targets of blanket closures to all of Albertas' public lands. Our trails at 30 cm wide are already classified as the same impact as the Forestry trunk Road, and even the Trans-Canada Highway.

But I digress...

Back to survey. Personally, I don't think it's appropriate to tell people how to fill it out. And honestly I don't think it really matters. If you read the docs the all say " OHV use: yes, on approved trails" BREAKING NEWS: there won't be many. Look to the Livingstone ~1500 km of singletrack down to ~75 km. But, having met the very nice lady who read every response in the Castle I would only say;

-Please don't use profanity
-Talk about how Albertas' land use is important to you and your family.

Although I haven't posted here for probably some now obvious reasons, I can assure you there is a lot going on behind the scenes. A brief excerpt from an e-mail I received:
The 85% disapproval of a park from the RAC report survey came up several times.
(Redacted) answer after acknowledging that the results were FOIP’d and AEP’s own survey…. “Well you know surveys are hard to put together…to make them fair, and they are representative Alberta’s views …oh and the survey was just for practice to get a feel for the mood of acceptance, so is meaningless and doesn’t count. ??!!
We all called BS, they just didn’t the answer they wanted…
Now, don't get me wrong, this survey is somewhat important. But if any of you read this and truly care, please e-mail or send a letter to your MLA. The rumour on the street is the Bighorn Back Country will be enacted as an order in council in late February. The Minister has the authority to do this without consultation and I believe she will. A possible election tactic to force a future government to undo their abandonment of proper due process?

And please, vote intelligently come May.

Thanks, Geoff.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Well the grab is well under way, don't forget to get involved.
Bighorn Wildland Dec 12.jpg
If you want to be part of the "consultation" here is a chance:
This is the message:

Hi this is Shannon Phillips minister for Alberta environment and parks I can be reached at 1-877-770-4636 or by email at aep.bighorncountry@gov.ab.ca. I am calling to invite you to join me in a live virtual telephone Townhall meeting to discuss a proposal for new recreation and parks in the big horn country west of red deer it sometimes called the David Thompson country the call will take place tomorrow night Thursday at 6:30 PM to join me you will receive a call at this number shortly before the start of the town hall you can also dial 1-877-229-8493 and enter code 115500 pound to join in that's call 1-877-229-8493 and enter code thank you and I hope to speak with you.
The call is tonight. It will be the AEP offices attempt at consultation. The series of open houses including one in Rocky last night are well attended with >1% in favour of the parks.

I'll get the numbers wrong, but this is something like 60% of Albertas' public land on the Eastern slopes folks.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

You are correct Geoff, Bighorn is 59% of our riding area in Alberta.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY!

MORE PARKS!

https://albertaparks.us15.list-manage.c ... 646120c97b

This is like a slow car crash, if I've ever seen one.

Never mind stewardship or conservation, who is going to pay for all this? I mean the Bighorn plan alone is something like 54 Million dollars just to get it off the ground. Didn't the entire City of Calgary just vote down the Olympics (which would have brought in 3 Billion dollars of outside spending) because it cost 1 billion from taxpayers? Make no mistake the final tally for the Bighorn will be in the Billions with an operating loss (currently 60% per year, certain to increase) in perpetuity. And guess what? Unless you're on your feet, you won't even see it. I hope everyone likes making horse playgrounds for the rich, and helicopter huts for the elite, because apparently there's a shortage here in Alberta...

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Geoff, where did you find that picture? If this is supposed to be a proposal/consultation period how can they post closure signs already?
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

boland wrote:Geoff, where did you find that picture? If this is supposed to be a proposal/consultation period how can they post closure signs already?
That picture was emailed to an associate, apparently from the Cardinal river area AB.

Near here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Alexi ... 17.0295762

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

boland wrote:Geoff, where did you find that picture? If this is supposed to be a proposal/consultation period how can they post closure signs already?
This government has been doing whatever they want regardless of public input and consultation.

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

dirtyboy wrote:
This government has been doing whatever they want regardless of public input and consultation.
Truth.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Here's a letter from the AOHVA with some info on how to help, for those interested.
OHV User Involvement Letter_Dec28, 2018[932].pdf
(238.43 KiB) Downloaded 258 times

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Some press regarding the lack of proper consultation.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4823871/larg ... n-country/

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

kjo417
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by kjo417 »

to add to the list above....

https://www.ponokanews.com/opinion/opin ... ultations/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.4969961

According to the CBC article meetings are being rescheduled for as early as next week.