Livingstone and Porcupine Hills Public Land Use Zones Established

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Livingstone and Porcupine Hills Public Land Use Zones Established

Post by Dobi »

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-public ... fault.aspx

The maps are out. There is no singletrack in Porkies and basically none in Livingstone.

DwayneH
User
User

Re: Livingstone and Porcupine Hills Public Land Use Zones Established

Post by DwayneH »

What is this going to do for the Porkies and Shaleshaker races?...I'm assuming with the effective date they may be cancelled?
Dwayne Howatt
"17 300xcw

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Single use events are totally up in the air.

I've been to some meetings lately where these plans have been reviewed. I encourage all of you to look at these maps in the context this is the template for the rest of Alberta!!!

This is the largest change of land usage in recent history, and the NDP is not done yet. The Bighorn will almost certainly be a park; it's almost 60% of Albertas' public land.

It's a sad day for all forms of rec. For the smug user groups out there who think they're immune, your access is next.

All riding over 6000' is illegal. All land not signed open is illegal. Fines for highway vehicles leaving the road are higher than even OHVs. The days of free access are over.

Sad to be an Albertan.

DwayneH
User
User

Post by DwayneH »

I really hope the next government can reverse this but my hopes are not high...usually once something is in place it's even harder to change it back!
Dwayne Howatt
"17 300xcw

DwayneH
User
User

Post by DwayneH »

Wonder if the NDP is going to cover the losses on trailer and bike sales when the market is flooded :mad:
Dwayne Howatt
"17 300xcw

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i am looking at the maps. In the literature it states that random camping can be done in designated 'nodes' that have the trailer icon.
By my count, zero camping in Porkies and 2 camp spots in the entire Livingstone/RHC/Crowsnest Pass and IG areas. The 2 are located near IG. :crybaby:
Am i just not zoomed in enough? :excuse:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

It says the PLUZs go into effect May 15th, but the maps say effective as of May 31st. Wonder if this ill be enforced this weekend, as it will really muck up my family's plans for the long weekend (along with a lot of others I'm sure)

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

cedric wrote:It says the PLUZs go into effect May 15th, but the maps say effective as of May 31st. Wonder if this ill be enforced this weekend, as it will really muck up my family's plans for the long weekend (along with a lot of others I'm sure)
They will be out there, but have said that it will be for "information only" on the PLUZ enforcement. All standard rules will be enforced though, and I would expect heavily.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

DwayneH wrote:Wonder if the NDP is going to cover the losses on trailer and bike sales when the market is flooded :mad:
The reality is, they want you to sell it. They wont be sad if dealers close. They won't be sad if you take up roller blading.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

It’s time to revolt. Time to ride OHVs on the legislature grounds.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Spinalguy wrote:i am looking at the maps. In the literature it states that random camping can be done in designated 'nodes' that have the trailer icon.
By my count, zero camping in Porkies and 2 camp spots in the entire Livingstone/RHC/Crowsnest Pass and IG areas. The 2 are located near IG. :crybaby:
Am i just not zoomed in enough? :excuse:
UPDATE:

Official clarification on Random Camping in the new PLUZ.
I spoke with a Senior official this morning. It is agreed that the new maps are lacking for details. However, all random camping as you know it is still legal keeping within the buffer zones of 1km rules and such. The nodes along Willow Creek are the only areas that you can camp along that road which has been that way for years now.
In essence, nothing has changed EXCEPT some places you random camp may no longer allow you to ohv from there as those trails are now illegal.
Cheers and have a good weekend. I prefer not to publicly state their name, they are with AEP.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

madhatter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by madhatter »

How is this working for Porkies?

Taurkon
User
User

Post by Taurkon »

Survey closed on April 26th and the results have been compiled, analyzed, and implemented within 19 days? I'm having a difficult time not expressing how I really feel but there must be some type of legitimate court challenge that can raised, or is it one of those things where our elected government can do as they wish and we should feel privileged that they at least "consulted" with the public?

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

madhatter wrote:How is this working for Porkies?
Great, we have no bike trails at all there...

Taurkon
User
User

Post by Taurkon »

Wanted to resurrect this thread and see if there were any RMDRA riders that rode at Porks last summer and can provide any feedback? Are most of the ST trails that we'd ride in the past now closed? Looking for a general feel for the value of heading to porcupine hills for a long weekend or a week to ride. Any comparisons and contrasts between now and before the land closures?

Thanks,
Scott