And the going gets tough. . . .

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

And the going gets tough. . . .

Post by Shibby! »

http://www.4wheeler.ca/index.php?showto ... &hl=indian

Came across this on another forum for sport bikes that linked to this (and the ATV) site. I personally have seen signs out at IG regarding riving crossings, but not trail closures. .

Q

EDIT: Scroll down, the link appears to be blocked untill you scroll.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

bigdaub
User
User

Post by bigdaub »

I have never been to indian graves - how do you get there and approx how long of a drive is it from airdrie? is it heavily patroled by rangers? or is it hassle free riding?

thanks!

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

We were at I.G. this weekend and didn't seem to see any signs. There were some signs instructing people to stay out of water ways, but no trail closures.

I.G is about 20 km's south of Longview and another 15-20 km's west. (road 540 I think)

I've never had a problem with any area being a hassle to ride. If you have lights, registration and legal bike they often don't even stop you, and if they do it's a 2 minute stop and your back on your way. Even when you do get stopped it's a good time to get information "first hand" if the officer is knowledgeable and they often suggest great places to ride.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

I G

Post by thumper-darryl »

Yes, much of I.G. has closed signs posted. There is a boggy area that has a particular species of plant that is sensitive, so SRD has put up a bunch of closed signs limiting access to much of the area . Reps from the Calgary Quad Squad & AOHVA are working with SRD to regain access to most of the affected trails.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Thanks Darryl for your continued, consistent hard work at land issues!
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

This recent trail closure at IG was due to concern over the survival/well-being of a particular plant species living in a boggy area.

These trails have been re-opened!

The trails have been re-opened DUE to the efforts of Bob Boulton of the Calgary Quad Squad. Bob went all the way down to Pincher Creek to meet with the SRD ergonomist (guy in charge of managing rangeland habitat within Alberta). Bob met with this fellow and presented a good case that there was a way to protect this species WITHOUT having to close down the trails!!

Bob's proactive, and creative approach solved this problem - finding a way to meet the concerns of the SRD and the needs of us OHV "recreationalists". Bob is a smart, experienced and wise fellow, and we are very lucky to have him on our team. He has also been putting in alot of time representing the needs of our "community", meeting with developing relationships with, and maintaining an open dialogue with MLA's and governement personnelle at various levels including the SRD and CD (community development). Bob is a director of the Calgary Quad Squad, a director of the Crowsnest Quad Squad, and also the VP and director of the AOHVA (which by the way has a new president as well, replacing Cal Rakach).

Bob is setting an example of what we SINGLETRACK riders need to do, and creating a template (and hopefully a precedent) for what we need to do, and HOW to do it, to get our trails back. We need INDIVIDUALS to take ownership of A effort to open A single piece of trail! Pick a peice of Trail you like that has been closed, and lets start working on a proposal that will meet the SRD/MLA's needs (representing the reason why that specific trail was closed), without requiring the closure of that trail!!

This is what we NEED to do. NOT just going out and riding the trails anyway and just thinking " fu*k them! "

I agree that in many cases, the reasons we will be given for why a trail has been closed with seem ridiculous, illogical and hypocritical. OUR OPINION OF WHY the trail has been closed is irrevelent at this point. We simply need to find a solution(s) (for EACH closed trail) which achieves whatever THEIR "stated" concern is, and allows us to have proper authorization to continue to legally ride these trails!

In short, a WHOLE BUNCH of us - ie - YOU MUST NOT WAIT for someone ELSE to do it - need to take a proactive approach to find out why each specific trail was closed, CREATE a solution meeting EVERYONE's needs, and then prepare a logical, complete and well organized proposal.

Myself and dirtyboy can be contacted for assistance with this process. Please DO involve one of us with your efforts, as we (trail riders) need to be united and focused and have our efforts and communications well organised and in concert with other people working for the same goals as us - to be able to legally ride fun trails!

Derek Radomski, CA :thumbsup:
301-7440
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

_------This is what we NEED to do. NOT just going out and riding the trails anyway and just thinking " fu*k them! " --------
What is the clubs policy on riding in supposedly closed trails areas. I know for a fact that several people are still riding these areas and I find it disconcerting that the club which has worked so hard to keep areas open is using the above quoted method of riding anyway. I agree that the GAMP plan is total Bulls#*t , but which rules are we following , what examples are we supposed to be setting and who are the rules for, is there a double standard here?? I would like to know the RMDRA's position on this matter so Me and my regular ride group can enjoy the same old trails we used to, if there aren't any consequences for riding the old trails. Maybe an SRD rep could better explain our options and what's up with the revised map with the GPS'ed trails on it. Maybe this could be addressed at the next meeting. WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

WR_Dave wrote: What is the clubs policy on riding in supposedly closed trails areas.
The RMDRA's policy is to ride legal and only ride on the designated trails (depending on the area). In the Ghost area, only designated trails are allowed to be ridden on.

The RMDRA's policy is also to try to re-open or get single track trails on the designated list.

:cheers: