Looks like we lost all of Castle

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Looks like we lost all of Castle

Post by vwrally »

live webcast of the meeting now, link below:

https://www.facebook.com/Calgary-Snowmo ... 8/?fref=nf

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Looked like a great turn-out. :thumbsup:

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I took some pics, but they didn't capture even close to the whole room. It was standing room only down there, around 2000 (*edit - apparently there were only 600, seemed like more) people?

Sad to see a government ignoring input from the community. The overwhelming point (IMO) was to return to the SSRP process and it's lengthy negotiated stakeholder input. The Castle management plan was well on it's way to becoming a reality, until it became a casualty of the current government. The NDP has completely ignored the input from a community dependent on access to the back country. It has decided that nothing can be done and all existing infrastructure and thousands of hours of work by volunteers on trails, bridges, etc. will become illegal to use by the people that live, work and recreate in that community.

It's a sad day when people cannot respect others, who may do things differently than themselves. There is no science at all saying OHVs have any more impact than cows, horses, or even mountain bikes. Anyone (horse people, hunters) who is happy about this closure, don't be. You're next...

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I vote for Dobi for Premier.

Just say'n .....
The voices are back. Awesome!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Brass wrote:I vote for Dobi for Premier.

Just say'n .....
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't think public service is the rewarding career it once was.... RIP Ralph :cheers:

It was great to see such a tremendous turn out at the rally. We need to keep this pressure on the government and the only way to do it is by phonecalls, letters and gatherings. Keep up the good work all.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

AJRJ wrote:I took some pics, but they didn't capture even close to the whole room. It was standing room only down there, around 2000 (*edit - apparently there were only 600, seemed like more) people?

Sad to see a government ignoring input from the community. The overwhelming point (IMO) was to return to the SSRP process and it's lengthy negotiated stakeholder input. The Castle management plan was well on it's way to becoming a reality, until it became a casualty of the current government. The NDP has completely ignored the input from a community dependent on access to the back country. It has decided that nothing can be done and all existing infrastructure and thousands of hours of work by volunteers on trails, bridges, etc. will become illegal to use by the people that live, work and recreate in that community.

It's a sad day when people cannot respect others, who may do things differently than themselves. There is no science at all saying OHVs have any more impact than cows, horses, or even mountain bikes. Anyone (horse people, hunters) who is happy about this closure, don't be. You're next...
It is a shame the NDP have trash canned the SSRP and have decided to ignore the Castle community and side with the Tree Hugger wacko's.
Reminds me of a little German guy back in the late 30's that was stirring up trouble.
Alot of passionate and angry people down south over this Castle Gong show. Is Phillips gonna get out of Lethbridge in one piece Saturday ?? :eek:

kjo417
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by kjo417 »

Good morning,

For anyone interested in attending the Rally tomorrow morning organized by a club out of Lethbridge (The Rocky Mountain Trailblazers) in Lethbridge please see information below:

Message below from the Rocky Mountain Trailblazers RMTB, taken from their Facebook page:

RALLY FIGHT for the CASTLE
Date: Saturday, February 11
Time: 10:30 am – 12 pm

This rally is to show:
All Albertans the hidden agendas and closed door methods the NDP Government has for Albertans.
Check out the Crowsnest Pass Herald’s Article in January 25th 2017 Vol 87 No.4 issue.

To protest the elimination of OHV’s users from the Castle Provincial Park and Castle wildland Provincial Park.
The only user group to be kicked out of the public land.
Section 6:10 of the Management Plan for the Castle Provincial Park and Castle Wildland Provincial Park.

The Loss of affordable recreational time and space once open to all Albertans.
We are the working class of Alberta, many of whom cannot afford to pay nightly fees at a Campground. We want to random camp in the beauty of the Castle area with our family and friends as Albertans have done for over 100 years.

Volunteers for the Rally
If you would like to volunteer at the rally in one of the following area (they all need help) email the Lead of the area you would like to volunteer for. Please let them know if they have enough people to look after they’re area that you would be willing to volunteer in other areas.

Organizer: Rocky Mountain Trail Blazers.
rmtb.ca@gmail.com

If weather permitting we will be able to bring into the Galt Gardens some OHV’s
1. Ryan Kurtz and Junior Schmid are in charge of booking and placing any OHV’s coming to the rally
Ryan: castleareautv@gmail.com
Junior: jrschmid@telus.net
2. Spencer Layton is in charge of unloading and loading at the Rally
Spencer: zekestl@hotmail.com

3. Darren Gallant and Steve Blasco are in charge of directing OHV’s where and how to park.
Darren: darren_gallant@yahoo.ca
Steve: steve@elrichtire.com

4. Lisa Block and Larry Gejdes are in charge of social Media
Lisa: rugbychick16@hotmail.com
Larry: larrygejdos@yahoo.ca

5. Ryan Kurtz is in charge of security at the rally. You must have a security license to volunteer.
Ryan: castleareautv@gmail.com

6. Joanne Kurtz will be in charge of cleanup after the rally
Joanne: kittysoftpaws7s@gmail.com

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Anyone check out page 12 of The Sun this am? Great ad from AOHVA informing about shutting Castle.

Not smart enough to re-size the pic and post.
Bikeless....

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Sun Ad Final Draft.pdf
(639.93 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Bikeless....

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Dobi wrote:Here is the letter that I sent out this afternoon to Ms Phillips. The letters don't need to be fancy, they just need to state we don't support the Castle Park exemption of OHV's. Please, feel free to use this letter as a template, modify and send away.

Castle Letter - Phillips - RMDRA.docx
I used Dobi's letter as a starting point and then created a mail merge (Microsoft Word) so that I could send the letter to the 5 representatives including Premier, Minister of Env Parks, Deputy Minister, Assitant Deputy Minister and Senior Parks Planner. I have attached the contact document in case anyone else wants to do the same.

When in Word, choose the Mailings tab, then Select Recipients, then Use an existing list. Then you can use the names and addresses in your letter to automatically create 5 personalized letters. :D
Attachments
Government Contacts.zip
It's an Access file (database) that is the mail merge contacts file
(16.02 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

kjo417
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by kjo417 »

dirtyboy wrote:
Dobi wrote:Here is the letter that I sent out this afternoon to Ms Phillips. The letters don't need to be fancy, they just need to state we don't support the Castle Park exemption of OHV's. Please, feel free to use this letter as a template, modify and send away.

Castle Letter - Phillips - RMDRA.docx
I used Dobi's letter as a starting point and then created a mail merge (Microsoft Word) so that I could send the letter to the 5 representatives including Premier, Minister of Env Parks, Deputy Minister, Assitant Deputy Minister and Senior Parks Planner. I have attached the contact document in case anyone else wants to do the same.

When in Word, choose the Mailings tab, then Select Recipients, then Use an existing list. Then you can use the names and addresses in your letter to automatically create 5 personalized letters. :D
Thank you

kjo417
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by kjo417 »

Provincial Government slams the door onAlbertans .pdf
(336.08 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Additional Media Release

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I wonder if the quad squad and other area groups will be able to remove the bridges they installed in the castle area and move them somewhere else....
The voices are back. Awesome!

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Brass wrote:I wonder if the quad squad and other area groups will be able to remove the bridges they installed in the castle area and move them somewhere else....
They paid for them and installed them. Have a chopper day or two like we did to get as many as possible out, what they can not get out, burn them to ground.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I'd suggest leave them and either sue to recover cost, or ask for them to be duplicated elsewhere.