Riding within 100 meters of a "waterbody"

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Riding within 100 meters of a "waterbody"

Post by vwrally »

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new ... blic-lands

Sooo, what does this mean for trail riding and racing in Alberta? I know lots of trails that are within 100 meters of a water body (the definition of waterbody is extremely broad and even includes temporary drainage during rain storms).

Seems pretty extreme, and is either a gross knee-jerk, or is designed as a way to severely limit OHV use province wide.

Thoughts? Panic? Cool heads?

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Riding within 100 meters of a "waterbody"

Post by Spinalguy »

agreed, its a ridiculous kneejerk reaction by .gov again. i think its crucial that they have the ability to hand out fines on the spot for gross infractions, but that 100m rule is ridiculous and i can think of many a trail that runs parallel to waterways for kms.
And what about camping? If the 'road'/trail to get there runs anywhere within 100m of water and the camping spots are within 100m of water, than i would imagine a fine and an order to vacate.

i think they went way too far and no thought with this new startegy to shut down ohv use in Alberta.

"The specified penalties range from $150 for failing to clean up a random campsite to $250 for driving a motor vehicle within 100 metres of a waterbody to $350 for failing to comply with directions of an officer in a public land use zone."
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

the new rules are meant to warn off the quadders that are muskeg bogging and making a mess. If you follow the rule to a T, every time you cross a bridge or culvert on the highway 40 you are in non compliance.... Once the final wording comes out on this it will lkely have clarity around existing trails.

While hard to belive, I know that this government is working hard to put a good balance in place for OHV users and to get some designated trail systems in place. Not everybody will like the outcome, but at least we will still be able to ride.

There does need to be more work done to stop the "yahoo's" that don't seem to get this is a privelege that is going to be taken away if they can't figure it out...

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I will stay optimistic that the enforcement officers will interpret the intent and exercise reasonable and fair enforcement. Some previous threads around written warnings and others reporting some officers are using reasonable judgement that is fair to the OHV community, is promising and positive.
#Z3B

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

It looks official and i am glad to see the wording of waterway changed to lakeshore...

http://aep.alberta.ca/lands-forests/pub ... ounts.aspx

:thumbsup:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vwrally »

And what's wrong with camping within 100m of a lake shore? Some of the best campsites I've ever seen have been within 100m of a lake, in Alberta and bc! Many lakes are surrounded with lakefront cottages, with owners fertilizing their lawns, drawing water from the lake, and have septic systems.... How is camping now a major offence?

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

vwrally wrote:And what's wrong with camping within 100m of a lake shore? Some of the best campsites I've ever seen have been within 100m of a lake, in Alberta and bc! Many lakes are surrounded with lakefront cottages, with owners fertilizing their lawns, drawing water from the lake, and have septic systems.... How is camping now a major offence?
Fortunately or unfortunately the laws around protecting and conserving public and private lands under the control of various jurisdictions is not consistent. So the logic of comparing the two is not relevant in the context of a PLUZ

A highway motor vehicle is associated with RV camping and the intrinsic damage to a undeveloped lakeshore site in a PLUZ is a high risk. So I think the intent is, if you are a RV camper it would seem reasonable you are more likley eligible for a fine at the discretion of a enforcement officer.

In the end you always have the right to contest a fine/ticket in court. So follow the rules with a pessimistic attitude or get a suit and tie.
#Z3B